DIY Rod / Utility Rack for under Truck Topper - Welding Project

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captain belly

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
I wanted a fishing rod rack for my topper, but I didn't want to drill any holes in it. I looked for products in stores and on-line and didn't find a thing.
So..... I came up with this idea. Welding is required, but maybe this will give someone an idea on design and use wood or PVC. Anyway......
The best part about this rack, is the fact that it is strong enough to use as a utility rack. I hang groceries, hunting gear, clothes, lantern, etc... on it. Love this thing. It's my 4th one that I built over the years (my friends wanted one in theirs too).

As a past heavy equipment mechanic I have a collection of chain wrenches. They are used quite often on gland nuts for cylinders and to hold irregular shaped pieces for welding. When you are dealing with a round gland nut (the seal end of a hydraulic cylinder) you need a big chain wrench. The vices that are used to hold the big cylinders also use chains to clamp the cylinders down. Add to that a set of spanner pin wrenches, spanner hook wrenches and a selection of SAE and Metric Wrenches from 1/8" to 3" and there is rarely any nut I can't turn off. If you might have a need for a chain wrench this would be the easy and inexpensive way to get one. If you were to weld a threaded rod to one end of the chain You could make one using an old crow bar for larger diameters but I think that few people would ever need that size of tool. On the farm it might be handy to have one that could handle 6 to 8 inch nuts on cylinders.

As a past heavy equipment mechanic I have a collection of chain wrenches. They are used quite often on gland nuts for cylinders and to hold irregular shaped pieces for welding. When you are dealing with a round gland nut (the seal end of a hydraulic cylinder) you need a big chain wrench. The vices that are used to hold the big cylinders also use chains to clamp the cylinders down. Add to that a set of spanner pin wrenches, spanner hook wrenches and a selection of SAE and Metric Wrenches from 1/8" to 3" and there is rarely any nut I can't turn off. If you might have a need for a chain wrench this would be the easy and inexpensive way to get one. If you were to weld a threaded rod to one end of the chain You could make one using an old crow bar for larger diameters but I think that few people would ever need that size of tool. On the farm it might be handy to have one that could handle 6 to 8 inch nuts on cylinders.

I don't own a chain wrench, but I made an oil changing tool that works the same way on oil filters. (those strap wrench styles) In fact..... I have a video on that. I could see welding one like you mentioned when the need comes up. Good call.

Latest posts

Back