Do Any of You have Egyptian Walking Onions, or onions that reproduce in Your Garden?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I have talked about this raised garden bed that my grandparents had with onions in it that never got replanted. It must have replanted itself, or reproduced somehow. Whenever we needed onions, we went out there are pulled what we needed. We never ran out of onions in that bed.

Do any of you have any such onions? I have looked and looked online, but they are always sold out when I look. Maybe I need to look every day, 365 days a year. Maybe I don't think about them when they are in stock?

And, if any of you have reproducing onions, would you be willing to sell me a few so that I can plant some in my garden? I'll pay for them and for shipping.

I have talked about this raised garden bed that my grandparents had with onions in it that never got replanted. It must have replanted itself, or reproduced somehow. Whenever we needed onions, we went out there are pulled what we needed. We never ran out of onions in that bed.

Do any of you have any such onions? I have looked and looked online, but they are always sold out when I look. Maybe I need to look every day, 365 days a year. Maybe I don't think about them when they are in stock?

And, if any of you have reproducing onions, would you be willing to sell me a few so that I can plant some in my garden? I'll pay for them and for shipping.
I have plenty of walking onions. One 4x4 raised bed stuffed with them. They don't keep well and that may influence their seasonal nature.

PM me and I will send you some when the tops have developed.

Ben

Mine are more like Zombie wild Scallions, they never die, pop up everywhere. Different than what I would call an "onion", but they cook up ok :). You need one, go hunt a clump, or bring a bag, I'll loan you a shovel :)

I bought these 3 weeks ago. They arrived in 4 days even though they say they will ship in about 2 weeks. Maybe I just got lucky, maybe they caught up with demand. Perfectly packaged, I put them in potting soil in a bucket and they are doing great in the house until it warms up outside. They have MANY other plants, veggies, herbs, trees, etc. I will order from them again.
https://www.amazon.com/Starter-Plan...efix=the+clayton+farm+egyptian,aps,204&sr=8-1

How would I, or how could I keep those for 2.5 to 3 months.....??? They would be perfect for my "Covert" wilderness "Non-gardens".

I bought these 3 weeks ago. They arrived in 4 days even though they say they will ship in about 2 weeks. Maybe I just got lucky, maybe they caught up with demand. Perfectly packaged, I put them in potting soil in a bucket and they are doing great in the house until it warms up outside. They have MANY other plants, veggies, herbs, trees, etc. I will order from them again.
https://www.amazon.com/Starter-Plan...efix=the+clayton+farm+egyptian,aps,204&sr=8-1

How would I, or how could I keep those for 2.5 to 3 months.....??? They would be perfect for my "Covert" wilderness "Non-gardens".
According to the info in the Amazon link @INresponse provided they are good in zone 1.

They don't grow in winter and they don't keep long after dug up. The outer layers get a little mushy when they freeze but the center is still good.

The bulbiles will try and root over winter in zone 6.

20230224_162349_HDR.jpg

The bulbiles are smallish getting up to about 1.5 inches max.

20230224_162433_HDR.jpg

But they just as good as the ones in the ground.

20230224_162512_HDR.jpg

In summer the stalks are edible as well. They are pretty descent once established fighting off weeds.

Ben

I could send you a mint leaf. Plant that, and you'll have about 20 acres of the stuff by next year.
Mine are more like Zombie wild Scallions, they never die, pop up everywhere.
I think we have some of that stuff too. It's in a never ending battle with the mint. Our Honda lawn mower jumps into the battle as well, but is clearly outclassed by the competition. It tucks it's tail and heads back to the garage after much bark, but no bite.

A friend of mine will bring me some green onions when things warm a bit. She leaves them outside all year around.

I could send you a mint leaf. Plant that, and you'll have about 20 acres of the stuff by next year.

I think we have some of that stuff too. It's in a never ending battle with the mint. Our Honda lawn mower jumps into the battle as well, but is clearly outclassed by the competition. It tucks it's tail and heads back to the garage after much bark, but no bite.
There are historical documents written about the battle between man and mint :). The mint always wins.

If they are shipped bare roots, how would I keep them alive tell spring (MAY).
I had some bare root strawberries shipped to me in Palmer. None survived. The strawberries with a root ball of dirt survived.

Haha, I already have that battle with mint going on! I was warned about planting mint, so I planted it in containers that I put into the ground. In case anyone thinks this is the way to outsmart mint, it is not!

Ummm, when they arrive take them out of the wet newspaper that is inside a plastic bag and plant them in some dirt in a pot or bucket inside the house or garage until it is warm enough to plant them outside. Easy Peasy?
If they are shipped bare roots, how would I keep them alive tell spring (MAY).
Hmmm, when you get them you take them out of their wrapper and put them in potting soil and treat them as you would any other house plant. A little bit of water, a little bit of love, and wait until the last frost to plant outside. Once established outside they will survive all 4 seasons without a problem. One of my grandparents brought them over from Sicily 100+ years ago, they survived winter after winter in Michigan and came back every spring. They handled drought without a problem, no problem with sub zero temps, and the dogs never bothered them.
I think most of your questions are answered in the link I provided.

I had some bare root strawberries shipped to me in Palmer. None survived. The strawberries with a root ball of dirt survived.
I had the same results with strawberries, blueberries, almonds, and a few others. When these onions arrived a few days later I put some potting soil in a 5 gallon bucket and and I never noticed as much as a wilt.
It doesn't matter to me if anyone buys them, I make nothing off of the purchase. I did a quick internet search and onions are not related to strawberries or the almond trees I had lousy result with a few years back. Maybe tomorrow i will take a picture of my onions in the bucket if anyone is interested.

I was just offering an honest review of what I bought and what I experienced. Your results may vary.

Ummm, when they arrive take them out of the wet newspaper that is inside a plastic bag and plant them in some dirt in a pot or bucket inside the house or garage until it is warm enough to plant them outside. Easy Peasy?
With seven feet of snow, it is hard to find topsoil. I think I'll order both at same time. THANKS.

Latest posts

Back