Do I need to perform a roofing cleaning again?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marththias

New Friend
Neighbor
What if the mold and algae come back when my house wash completed? Do I need to perform a roofing cleaning again?

What if the mold and algae come back when my house wash completed? Do I need to perform a roofing cleaning again?

The side(s) of your house that is doesn't receive enough direct sun light will always have mold potential. My house has vinyl siding. About every 5 years I spray the green spots (mold) with specialized treatment. Mold on roof I eliminated by replacing my asphalt roof with steel. I understand strips of copper placed at the peak of a roof will "leach" and kill roof mold.

For the roof, get yourself a pump sprayer. You didn't say how big your roof was or how large of an area needs sprayed but I'd get at least a 2-gallon. If your roof is relatively flat so you can walk on it easily, you can get/use a backpack sprayer but I don't like them on steep roofs. If I lose my balance or footing, I don't want that backpack on me while I try to regain balance.

Use 5% bleach mix to the water. That's just under 1 cup of bleach to 1 gallon of water. Spray the areas with mold, algae or black stains. Do this when no rain expected for 24 hours. About a week later, check the area again. It'll either be much better or completely clean. Areas of heavy mold or algae may require more than one dose. Repeat until everything is clean again. For my roofs, 1 or 2 doses takes care of it but if you have an inch of "stuff" growing, it may take a couple more doses.

The moss roots will eat into the roofing material and destroy a roof over years. You don't want to let it go for long. Check your roof every year or two.

Latest posts

Back