Do "Scammers" burn in Hell for ever and ever.......I hope.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i get 3-4 calls a day and am on the Do Not Call list. i dont pick up the phone anymore. its funny, in 2019 it was very bad, 10 calls a day and thats no exaggeration, thats when i stopped answering the phone and told friends and family to email me first or i wont pick up. but in 2020 it all stopped. i got no spam calls. 2021 it started up again.
a fried told me when buying something online never put your real #, put pelosis office number ot something like that

i get 3-4 calls a day and am on the Do Not Call list. i dont pick up the phone anymore. its funny, in 2019 it was very bad, 10 calls a day and thats no exaggeration, thats when i stopped answering the phone and told friends and family to email me first or i wont pick up. but in 2020 it all stopped. i got no spam calls. 2021 it started up again.
a fried told me when buying something online never put your real #, put pelosis office number ot something like that
I think the No Call List went by the wayside many years ago.
I have a contact in my phone titled A A Spam so it is top of thee list. If anyone calls that is not a known caller I don't answer it. If they leave a message, which is very rare, I may call back. If there is no message I immediately add the number into the spam folder, which is set at Block Caller so the calls no longer come through. I think there are about 300 numbers in that contact. It doesn't stop all spam calls but it greatly reduces them and prevents the same number from calling twice.

I don't get many but when I see a number not in my contacts I pickup and forcefully ask;

WHO IS THIS?

Then wait about 5 seconds. If nobody says anything I hang up.

Since "who is this" doesn't translate as hello in any language it confuses the machine.

Alexander Graham Bell wanted the standardized greeting to be "Ahoy". I never tried that but I suspect it would work as well.

Ben

For years I have been hearing about all these scams and had never gotten such a call. Not the case anymore. Now they never stop. I never pick up the phone unless I recognize the number.

I never get spam calls of the phone. In fact my phone only rings about two or three times a month. This call today, was likely not what is considered spam, but fraud, or intent to fraud.

I have near zero human contact other then internet forums or e-mail. And I live far removed from modern civilization craziness. So this call today, totally caught me 100% bewildered. Which was most likely a good thing.

Husband got a weird one today. He usually hangs up, but we were doing the mandatory 30 minute sit and wait after his allergy shot. So someone called and said that they were ready to set up the spit test for heart disease that his doc ordered. So since he was bored, he asked a ton of questions until the scammer hung up. What doctor? When did he order it ? What state are you calling from? Why do you want my spit?
I got a car warranty call this morning. We get this nonsense all the time.

I love those car warranty calls my cars are all older and I have done all the repairs on them for decades... My question to them is which car is it you want to warranty the 85 or the 90? They hang up, but then call again later, what's with that...?

If they don't go to Hell they should, and there should be a special place in Hell for them. I can't believe God gave us a brain, so we could come up with a way to cheat people. That brain power should be used for something good and productive. Using it for nefarious purposes should be punished severely.

I have some compassion for sales solicitation calls. I can quickly figure that out and say "NO". Generally the few "sales" calls I get are some known and valid charity wanting annual donations.

But this thing today was so far out of my reality, It was someone from some foreign country, pretending to be from Amazon.com calling about fraud on my Amazon account. Which I could not comprehend. He wanted me to open my account, he he would "help" me make changes.

I said that I was not willing to do that, and I would call Amazon customer service.......he hung-up. But I could tell from the strange sounds of the disconnect the call was from some other country.

I did call Amazon, and was advised that is the current popular "fraud attempt". They said it is very prolific, and there was little they could do about it. But that they have a department that is doing all possible to mitigate the problem.

Interesting........They just called again. Different person, same scam..

Interesting........They just called again. Different person, same scam..
So many stories to tell. Not my phone, even the robots won't talk to me anymore :(.
It's the MIL's phone.
Her and hubby were trained to always be
quote.gif
polite
quote.gif
They have fallen for scams in the past and will forever be on the scammers 'favorites' list.
She gets at least 3 scam calls per day. Not spam calls, scam calls.
I can spin stories if anyone is totally bored:
"This is AT&T, your TV will stop working tomorrow unless you do exactly what we tell you to do, starting with pulling up the key-card number in setup, and reading it off"
"This is Microsoft, your PC is infected with a virus, you must turn it on and follow these steps to enable remote access, so we can fix it"
"This is United Healthcare, we need to verify that we are talking to <Her Name>. Your date of birth? Your address? And your social security number?" (I managed to halt it before they got to the 3rd one).
"This is your grandson, don't you recognize me? [please say my name so I'll know what to call myself]. I'm in big trouble, need your help, and don't want my mom to find out"
(fortunately, she only has a grand-daughter):oops:

And there is more, and more...:mad:

Last edited:
My brother is in town helping me open the marina for the season. His phone rings and he answers, "(his name) IRS fraud division." This was the first time this person had called she explained how this cut down on the fraudulent calls and they never called him back like they did if he answered the call regularly.

I used to pretend to be interested in what they had to say, "but please hold I need to turn the stove off." I'd lay the phone down till they hung up. When they called back, "Oh, you hung up on me, don't hang up I really want to hear this but I need to turn my stove off so I don't burn dinner." I'd lay the phone down on the counter till they hung up. I could play that game all night long. If they were on hold with me they weren't harassing someone else. I didn't want to talk to anyone anyway so I didn't care if my line was tied up.

One - albeit, 'two edged sword' (since this Is one of the 'EvilCorps' :rolleyes: - option, is to get a 'GoogleVoice' number, and Forward all your (known / being-victimized number) calls to It - then configure it to forward to your cel or whatever..

..What that does, at least, is Force them to "State their Name" - which you get dictated-to by the 'GoogBot' that passes that "caller ID" when You pick up the forward - which gives You the option to a) accept, b) reject, or c) send to VM (then you can 'analyze', later, if that's someone you want to speak with, etc..

Sure, there Are "professional screening services" (and probably 'Apps', also) but, those usually Co$t a good bit.. GV will work for anyone withOut a 'smart phone' (non-App capable) and it's "Free"..

..Which is to say - No Dollar-cost, but.. Who knows what info Google is 'mining' off of ya, when it's used.. :rolleyes: Anyway, just one idea / Easy to set up / config, etc..

Fwiw
jd

Last edited:
We have had the Amazon scam call. Just an FYI for all, the IRS NEVER does anything over the phone. You will always get a written notice in the mail from the IRS if there is a issue. I never answer the phone. It is a very short list of people who call me, so if I don't know the number it goes to voice mail. We are also extremely cautious about giving any personal information over the phone. Unless we "know" the caller, maybe the Doctor's office, we will not divulge any personal information.

... They hang up, but then call again later, what's with that...?

Robo calls. Computer placed calls calling every number in a number block (XXX-XXX-XXXX). Cost them too much money to tag a particular number from not recalling.

Telemarketers can "spoof" their calling number to appear as any other number, like a number in your calling area!

Small locally owned Telephone company was trying to call me direct about a piece of equipment my Employer provided them. It was a weekend and I was 180 miles away participating in a wedding. Caller ID showed "TelCo" was calling, I didn't answer. Next call er
ID showed my home phone number, wife was with me so no one would be calling me from home, I didn't answer. Third call showed my wife's cell number (how they got her number I never did figure out) and I didn't answer. Then my wife started to get calls, I told her not to answer! Late that night when we were on our way home I called the TelCo. Since they tried every trick to call me had failed, they decide to actual read the three page pictorial instructions I had left them and had resolved their "problem" themselves.

I'm on the Federal and State do not call list. State has a functional web base way of reporting violators. The last ones I reported I received a nice State letter advising me they were unable to trace the call back to the Originator.

Long time family friend is a Telemarketer. As a child Polio placed her in a wheelchair for life. Parents are long dead, it's the only means she could find to work form home and support herself.

My cell phone has the option "Block Unknown Callers" turn on. If your number isn't in my contact list your call goes straight to voice mail.

...It's the MIL's phone.
Her and hubby were trained to always be View attachment 63144politeView attachment 63144....

That's my wife. Came home one day to find her on the phone. I heard her give her date of birth to the caller. Wife then said, "Social Security number? Just a minute I'll have to get my purse." When I asked her who the caller was she DIDN'T KNOW!!!!!! I hung up the phone and the wife then accused me of being RUDE! I explained that you don't ever given out personal information over the phone to unknown callers!! Her response? She didn't want to be unpolite... o_O

That's my wife. Came home one day to find her on the phone. I heard her give her date of birth to the caller. Wife then said, "Social Security number? Just a minute I'll have to get my purse." When I asked her who the caller was she DIDN'T KNOW!!!!!! I hung up the phone and the wife then accused me of being RUDE! I explained that you don't ever given out personal information over the phone to unknown callers!! Her response? She didn't want to be unpolite... o_O
I believe this is quite common. Imagine if you had not been there. Hopefully, she has now gotten over being so polite to complete strangers on the phone.

Also, people are trained and believe that if the phone rings you MUST ANSWER IT! (NOT!) If someone knocks on the door, YOU MUST ANSWER IT! (NOT!)

I know many people get it, but some people do not. Ever have a conversation with someone about something and then watch them turn around and do just what you have advised them not to do?

I was doing my weekly shopping today when I got a call from the US Marshal Service as my name has come up involved with some criminal activity. All I had to do was press 1 to speak to a Deputy Marshall. I'm on the lamb now, THEY'LL NEVER TAKE ME ALIVE!!! In case you haven't guessed, I didn't press #1.

. Since they tried every trick to call me had failed, they decide to actual read the three page pictorial instructions I had left them and had resolved their "problem" themselves.
They didn't know the secret code we use that defeats every robot/scammer/spammer yet will get you on the line.
All of my friends and family know it.
Call me.
When it stops ringing, call me again immediately from the same number,
and call me again, repeat as necessary.
No robot or telemarketer will do that. They call once and just move on to the next number on the list.
Granted, I may be grumpy, but you will get me on the phone.
nod.gif

Last edited:
They didn't know the secret code we use that defeats every scammer/spammer yet will get you on the line.
All of my friends and family know it.
Call me.
When it stops ringing, call me again immediately from the same number,
and call me again, repeat as necessary.
No robot or telemarketer will do that. They just move on to the next one on the list.
Granted, I may be grumpy, but you will get me on the phone.View attachment 63244
Yes.

People have forgotten that a phone is a tool that serves us and not the other way around.

Ben

Latest posts

Back