Do "YOU" grasp the significance of "The fourth Turning"..??

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sourdough

"Eleutheromaniac"
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
Yes or No or "What the hell is a Fourth Turning"...?? (Asking for a friend).. :rolleyes:

I'm not that smart. I had to look it up, and there was way more to read than I wanted to do right now. Here is a synopsis and a link. Apparently a couple of guys wrote a book and this was their philosophy,

In recent years the world has progressively been pulled apart by social and geopolitical tensions. Conflict has increased all around the globe, as volatility and uncertainty has become the norm. Much of this discord, according to Neil Howe and William Strauss (authors of Generations and The Fourth Turning), stems from a generational change. As the baby boomers begin to retire and conclude their time in power, the millennial generation is starting to challenge the status quo.

In the following post, applying principles of the Fourth Turning theory, we try to understand what this transition in power has in store for us – in the 2020s and beyond.

https://trendsandtrackrecords.com/the-fourth-turning-theory-2020s-and-beyond/

I would like to see the chronology to show me where it has happened in the past. Show me the first three turnings chronologically to get to the Fourth, and how many times is has happened in what? Almost 250 years?

What can I say? I'm from Missouri.

Last edited:
I would like to see the chronology to show me where it has happened in the past. Show me the first three turnings chronologically to get to the Fourth, and how many times is has happened in what? Almost 250 years?

What can I say? I'm from Missouri.

This isn't the first time I've read about this theory. I guess it goes along with the fact that history is bound to repeat itself.

Looking at that article you posted - they just cite time periods of the end of cycle?

End-Of-Cycle Fourth Turnings In Anglo-American History

• Glorious Revolution (1688-1689)
  • American Revolution (1765-1783)
  • American Civil War (1861-1865)
  • Great Depression and World War II (1930s to early 1940s)
  • Great Recession of 2008 until 20??

Yes or No or "What the hell is a Fourth Turning"...?? (Asking for a friend).. :rolleyes:
Yes

I have mentioned it quite a few times ( see here )

The Princess and I have been through that book multiple times and had our financial advisor read it to understand how we see events coming at us. The wife and I have most of the Howe interviews we can find on Youtube.

There are two take aways to summarize what we learn from The Fourth Turning are...

The bad times associated Fourth Turnings repeat in cycles and can not be avoided.

It is impossible to predict the nature ot the systems and institutions that are put in place to replace those that fall by the wayside.

Gird up your loins!

Ben

I'm not that smart. I had to look it up, and there was way more to read than I wanted to do right now. Here is a synopsis and a link. Apparently a couple of guys wrote a book and this was their philosophy,

In recent years the world has progressively been pulled apart by social and geopolitical tensions. Conflict has increased all around the globe, as volatility and uncertainty has become the norm. Much of this discord, according to Neil Howe and William Strauss (authors of Generations and The Fourth Turning), stems from a generational change. As the baby boomers begin to retire and conclude their time in power, the millennial generation is starting to challenge the status quo.

In the following post, applying principles of the Fourth Turning theory, we try to understand what this transition in power has in store for us – in the 2020s and beyond.

https://trendsandtrackrecords.com/the-fourth-turning-theory-2020s-and-beyond/
In the book they go back to the War of the Roses if memory serves me.

Ben

I don't view it as generational, but as a Natural Cycle......roughly 75 years duration.

this cycle you speak of is the reality of length of a societies life span and linked to leaders direction and those they influence to carry on in same fashion. change is how society..the people direct themselves or allow others to direct something..in this case a country. it happens in households as well. new formed households direct themselves as they see fit.

events change things as well. people often talking about depression. it was bad..but did you know theres been lots of depressions before that especially in the 1800's.it just wasnt called that. they called it...my memory is failing me right now..currency collapses and then tag the year on end of it..why? because it happened so often. it was going often in 10 year cycles.

We are always forgotten. We do get a small mention when he breaks down the 4 archetypes. I did find this part interesting.
  • The four archetypes include…
    • Prophets (idealist) – come of age as self-absorbed young crusaders in an Awakening, when they attack institutional life in the name of personal and spiritual autonomy. (today’s Baby Boomers)
    • Nomads (reactive) – come of age as alienated young adults in an Unraveling, during which time institutions are weak and distrusted, and individualism is strong and flourishing. (today’s Generation X)
    • Heroes (civic) – come of age as team-oriented young optimists in a Crisis, when institutional life is destroyed and rebuilt in response to a perceived threat to the nation’s survival. (today’s Millennials)
    • Artists (adaptive) – come of age as socialized and conformist young adults in a High, during which time institutions are strong and individualism is weak. (today’s Generation Z or “Homelanders”)

took me a minute to raddle it loose from my brain pan...the events were called panics. here just one example..panic of 1837...there was a bunch of them.theres old book way back then how folks sold out in city and moved to country to have better and cheaper life and have daily needs met by a plot of land and their own labors. i posted that book here once but cant recall name and my harddrive was lost earlier this year so lost all my dang links.bottom line..things change..on many levels.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panic_of_1837

heres ya a list of them by various names too

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...s and crises Name,was bu ... 8 more rows
There have been as many as 48 recessions in the United States dating back to the Articles of Confederation, and although economists and historians dispute certain 19th-century recessions,[1] the consensus view among economists and historians is that "The cyclical volatility of GDP and unemployment was greater before the Great Depression than it has been since the end of World War II."[2] Cycles in the country's agricultural production, industrial production, consumption, business investment, and the health of the banking industry contribute to these declines. U.S. recessions have increasingly affected economies on a worldwide scale, especially as countries' economies become more intertwined.

Last edited:
This isn't the first time I've read about this theory. I guess it goes along with the fact that history is bound to repeat itself.

Looking at that article you posted - they just cite time periods of the end of cycle?

End-Of-Cycle Fourth Turnings In Anglo-American History

• Glorious Revolution (1688-1689)
  • American Revolution (1765-1783)
  • American Civil War (1861-1865)
  • Great Depression and World War II (1930s to early 1940s)
  • Great Recession of 2008 until 20??
I can't recite the dates of each turning from memory. The dates of each generation are squishy. I was born in 58 so I am at the tail end of the Boomers. The wife born in 61 is a Gen X. I was 10 in 68 when Woodstock happened ( Boomers coming to age).

This was good interview with a millennial expert on the Fourth Turning.

This video attempts to lay out the times of each turning.

I highly recommend the book.

Ben

We are always forgotten. We do get a small mention when he breaks down the 4 archetypes. I did find this part interesting.
  • The four archetypes include…
    • Prophets (idealist) – come of age as self-absorbed young crusaders in an Awakening, when they attack institutional life in the name of personal and spiritual autonomy. (today’s Baby Boomers)
    • Nomads (reactive) – come of age as alienated young adults in an Unraveling, during which time institutions are weak and distrusted, and individualism is strong and flourishing. (today’s Generation X)
    • Heroes (civic) – come of age as team-oriented young optimists in a Crisis, when institutional life is destroyed and rebuilt in response to a perceived threat to the nation’s survival. (today’s Millennials)
    • Artists (adaptive) – come of age as socialized and conformist young adults in a High, during which time institutions are strong and individualism is weak. (today’s Generation Z or “Homelanders”)
I don't think we have too many Gen Xers here. I'm sure there's others but @Hooch @DrJenner and myself are the only ones i can think of off the top of my head. Probably Hashbrown too. There may be a few who are riding the line between Gen X and boomers...

That description of Millenials is all wrong. I personally find that the oldest ones are much like Gen X but most of the younger ones, like below age 35, are whiny entitled brats and the term Hero does not apply...

Ready or not, something big is coming and it will be a come as you are event. I place my fate into the capable hands of my Maker, and hope that I have correctly understood His guidance on what I must do to be ready. He warns not to let your lamp oil run out in the middle of the night, but His point was much more broad than lamp oil. Nothing that man has created is of much consequence in the grand scheme of things. Come quickly if it is Your will.

@Sourdough short answer - Yes. What worries me 'most' is this time it really is global. WWII was a world war, but the war wasn't in all countries. So many more were both knowledgeable and willing to work, still carried on with daily activities and so forth. Also, now there are nukes to play with. This is not a light topic nor is it casually considered.
@Spikedriver I know I look young in my pix but I'm an X er 😁
I was waiting for that good input @Neb 😊
@Alaskajohn - yep!

This is not a light topic nor is it casually considered.

I don't think most understand what a very-very-very dangerous thing America is doing.
Infact it is clear to me that most don't even know what is happening.

The amount of difficulty one faces in living IE the amount of work required to feed ,clothe and shelter yourself, is going to decide how tough and able to handle adversity you are going to be. when you are born somewhat reflects that, but different folks learn things in different manners, and how easy or hard things are reflects how much respect is given to the effort to provide for ones self and those who may depend

I don't think most understand what a very-very-very dangerous thing America is doing.
Infact it is clear to me that most don't even know what is happening.

things change..more than anyone wants to admit. has always been and always will be. petro dollar and big war using big things are life changing. but so are many things in life..loss of mate/spouse,loss of job,inflation and much more.what will you do? adapt or die...COOHMP...come out of her my people ! DONT BE AROUND BUILT UP PLACES or MAJOR TARGETS !

be so you can conduct life with out anything from outside world. we will be living what i call the 3-5mile life. meaning whats in a 3-5mile range is what most will venture out in a collapse and loss of fuel to 'travel'. many people dont know how to stay home or wont.what is that range will be your main source of resources.

what i am seeing in youth..they either got it or they dont..not much in between.

we will get through this somehow or not. if we dont get in war areas will work it out.one thing too is...probably PO some ya off but its truth..u.s. been living fake prosperity...how do we all know...look at debt bill ! over 30 trillion and counting..we borrowed and borrowed to live the high life and the bill is coming due now. if this was a household we would not or couldnt borrow enough for a soda pop. we are not guilty of keeping up with joneses..we are guilty of leading the way...lol...plus buying our friends and way way more.

you wait till this water thing in southwest happens and this years agriculture or lack of rolls in.are we going to starve..no..we will see prices jump and some might struggle...might even see ban on export of some items. i know it sounds dire now and many think no way..yes way..been watching ag reports for awhile.especially since fall of 2019 and nobody was paying attention to first cracks in various systems and changes i was seeing on my local level and national levels and yet here it is first pains happening.

i care not what others do or think i am doing me and my community is as well.i can see so much going just driving its mind boggling to be honest. people are producing on small scales to very large scales and gearing up for even more.

.."What the hell is a Fourth Turning"...??

Interesting. 🤔 In short: it's the 'Essence of this 'Great Reset', of the WEF / its underbelly / puppetmasters'.. These guys make some Good points, but.. This (below..) is Straight outta the WEF 'Guidebook to Global Misery'...

".. Likewise, Neil Howe believes that the Millennial generation may not be getting the credit they deserve. You have this new, sheltered, community-oriented, conformist, achievement-minded, optimistic generation begin to come of age. And you could say a lot of bad things about Millennials as well. But the optimism and the can-do spirit of this generation has the same potential as the G.I. generation, to elevate society into a new era of post-Crisis growth..."

..Excuse me while I BWUAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA!!!!. 😂 Does he mean like This?:

p-waste-jpeg.80472

..Yah, when these new "Heroes" think a crescent wrench is something you use in the Bedroom and/or at some 'Social Justice Riot'.. I mean 'Peaceful Protest' :rolleyes: yah, the 'New Woke World' is Not going to just 'Heal Back Better', nah...

..And, this isn't a 'dis' of "Millennials" - just that this wholly-Blind 'Climate Justice Religion' (which is really just a Totalitarian Wolf in a Sheep-costume..) is simply Not the answer, either.. ie:

A 'close cousin' to all this Think-Tanking, is the 'Fourth Industrial Revolution', a la: The Fourth Industrial Revolution: what it means and how to respond

..Salient snip: "...It is characterized by a fusion of technologies that is blurring the lines between the physical, digital, and biological spheres.".. Yah, sorry but.. 'Transhumanism' is NOT a "Bettering" of ANYthing.. :mad: It's nothing more than Pure 'teachings of Demons', and - yet again - 'Man, hellbent on dominating man, to his injury', just in a shinier 'silicon wrapper'.. o_O

Yeah, No Thanks.. Gimme a Horse and a solid-Creek / River and 10 Acres, I'm Out.. Klauss, ya can take yer NWO and Stuff it..

jd

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back