Do you like reading or hearing stories of other people's scary experiences?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I do. As a young person, I loved to watch scary stuff on television, such as Alfred Hitchcock or Rod Serling's "Night Gallery." There is a fine line for what I don't care for. I don't care for gore. For me, it is more psychological mind tripping stuff that I like to watch or read.

There are stories out there on particular sites that people tell of experiences that they have had. I am still reading this.
https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/1sfqzf/reddit_what_is_your_most_disturbing_scary_or/

This thread took me more than week to read. That was a few years ago and it is longer now.
https://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=57236&highlight=scariest

Anyone have any scary experiences? Or know of a place that has more stories that people wrote of their own experiences?

When I got back from my sailing trip nobody wanted to hear about sailing along on sunny days, they wanted to hear about the storms and close calls.
My daughter went to h.s. with 2 girls who were street tough. After h.s. they hopped the rails and road around the country. I know they had to have had some scary experiences. That was what I wanted to know about, the rough and scary experiences.

I'm not into scary gory either; exciting, freaky, whoa scary yes.
Some stories are in the library forum here. I started a thread quite awhile back about freaky scary stuff there.

I looked for that thread. Will you post the link for it please?

Last edited:
From Reddit

Stalked, my experience​

renderTimingPixel.png

This is a throw away account as I want to keep this a secret from my partner.

I lived alone in a small house in a small town in New Zealand, far away from the biggest region Auckland.
This all happened around 6 1/2 years ago, so some parts may be altered as I can't vividly remember this incident, when quite frankly I should. This was one of the scariest incidents that had occurred in my lifetime even until now.

It all started, when one morning I decided to open my front door to go and buy groceries I had forgotten to purchase from the local market that started around 8:30 am everyday even on weekdays. Instead, I found the strangest thing waiting for me outside... Lying on the center on my doorstep, was a small USB Flash Drive. (so small that I nearly stepped on it.)

At first, I was confused, and took a second to look around if anyone was pranking me. you know how those teens are these days I thought. But when the outside of my house was dead silent, the questions began to flood in my head. "Who put that there?" was the obvious first thought.

It was just a generic USB stick, no label or anything. No-one would waste their time to walk up to my house, placing it on my doorstep I thought, but that was exactly what had just happened.

There was no way to know where it came from, or who dropped it, or if they purposely did so for the soul purpose for someone curious and lacked common sense to plug it in.

Well, I did what anyone else would do... I took it inside and thought it'd be smart to plug it into my computer. The device was full of pictures. In fact, nothing but pictures. Dozens of them filling every tiny space the USB drive could hold. I then opened the first picture and clicked through all of them in order.

The first few were just shots from around town; general places that i recognized and pass through sometimes when im taking my morning stroll around the park. The 4th image was taken in our town's busiest street. In the image, the street was full of people, but there was somebody in it that caught my attention immediately. Me. The image showed me in amongst the crowd, just minding my own business buying groceries for my BBQ a day ago.

Well at first I thought, "This was a small town... was it just a coincidence that i was in the picture?" The 5th image had been taken on the same day. Again, it was taken in our town. Again, I was in it. The photographer was closer to me this time, a little too close I thought. Whoever had taken these pictures of me, I hadn't noticed them at that time. Next came several more pictures of me in various locations around town.

Then something more chilling... A photo of a house. My house. It was nighttime in that image, and the living-room light was on. I clicked through the next image. It was another image of my house, this time taken even closer. Through the living-room window you could see me sitting on the couch on my phone. I could tell from the clothes I was wearing that it had been taken the night before, right after I'd taken a shower. I had no idea somebody had been outside watching me. I kept clicking through the images on the drive. Photo after photo of me inside my house, taken from just outside my window. Because it was so light inside and so dark outside I was totally unable to see that somebody was watching me from out there. I couldn't see them, but they could see me clear as day... they didnt even need to use the camera light.

After 20 or so pictures of me just inside my house,there came a real curveball. An image taken from inside my hallway. The man or woman or whoever was taking these pictures of me had been inside my house the night before. There were photos of my living room, now lightless and empty, obviously taken after I'd gone to sleep. Photos of my kitchen, of my dining area, my stairwell, and several taken as the unknown figure ascended my stairs, towards where I was sleeping.

My brain started to run wild with thoughts about who had been following me "Had I wronged someone in the past? Said something wrong to the wrong guy? Was this just some weirdo who decided to target me? Were they armed when they came to pay me a visit?"

Whatever the case, somebody had come inside my house at night and taken pictures of all my rooms... including my bedroom. The second-to-last picture was of me, fast asleep in bed, totally oblivious to the person in my home. The final image was just a hand-written note framed in closeup.

The message simply read: "Never hide a spare key under your doormat." I have since moved house.

Last edited:
When I was a kid I enjoyed listening to stories from the old miners, trappers and cowboys in the area. Some of these old timers were in their 80' and 90's at the time, and that was 55 - 60 years ago. I could listen to their stories for hours. Now days not many people have any interest in stories from an old timer. My grandkids are just now old enough to want to hear my stories. Of course I have to edit many of my more graphic stories.

I do. As a young person, I loved to watch scary stuff on television, such as Alfred Hitchcock or Rod Serling's "Night Gallery." There is a fine line for what I don't care for. I don't care for gore. For me, it is more psychological mind tripping stuff that I like to watch or read.

There are stories out there on particular sites that people tell of experiences that they have had. I am still reading this.

This thread took me more than week to read. That was a few years ago and it is longer now.
https://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=57236&highlight=scariest

Anyone have any scary experiences? Or know of a place that has more stories that people wrote of their own experiences?

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=creepypasta

You're welcome.

I'm not a big fan of scary stuff. I will listen if somebody is telling a story, but I won't seek it out.

Does anyone else have a hard time reading this?

Good lord, paragraphs are a writer's best friend.
I absolutely agree with you. There are people who might make this into one long strung out sentence.
I edited it for you! Hopefully it will be easier for you and others to read.

I was really fascinated by this story. Some of us are so naive to think that it is safe to keep a key under a door mat in front of our front door. I think it is the first place that criminals would look.

Last edited:
When you don't know the story teller, you don't really know if the story is real.

In the above example, why would someone do that? It might be something an overprotective dad would do if his daughter decided to go live on her own just to teach her a lesson. Or maybe a jokester brother or friend? If I saw a flashdrive lying there, I wouldn't insert it into my computer b/c I like my computer. I might take it to the local police station b/c you never know what could be on it. It seems a little weird that she moved without knowing who did it. If it was someone who wanted to hurt her, she would've been hurt b/c clearly the opportunity was there.

I don't mind weird stories, but I also draw the line at gore. I HATE those types of movies. I do not do fear.

I don't mind weird stories, but I also draw the line at gore. I HATE those types of movies. I do not do fear.
I'm with you. I don't do horror movies of any kind. I remember seeing a movie when I was in college, The Last House on the Left. I don't even remember what happened in the movie, just that I knew I wouldn't be watching that kind of stuff again. Then I moved to Kansas City and went to see The Exorcist in a theatre on The Plaza with some other college girls. Somehow, that didn't bother me that much, but ever since, I am horror movie avoidant.

Thanks for paragraphing that short story.

If this is in fact a true story, someone needs to reinforce their locks and install an alarm system and be mindful of the vast amount of creeps out there in the real world.

If this was a fictional story, it should remind someone to reinforce their locks and be mindful of the vast amount of creeps out there in the real world.

I just got this book at the thrift store I volunteer at. After I read it I’ll give it to my granddaughter. I can’t deal with gore, torture or rape scenes.

Attachments

• IMG_8971.jpeg
    IMG_8971.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Back