Do you stock Hydrogen Peroxide?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We do have it in our medicine cabinet. The Medical Community seems to be divided. Some Pro some Con. Who do you believe? They are all doctors.

I keep it for multiple things. My vet said to use it to clean out wounds when my pets get injured, it flushes things out pretty well. My dentist said to use it as mouthwash for gum infections/soreness & it works very well for that. I also use it for some household cleaning on white surfaces.

I keep a few bottles of it, and I know that some of them are a decade or more old. If and when I see it on sale, I will buy a bottle. It is usually on store shelves close to rubbing alcohol and when one is on sale, the other usually is as well. I have noticed that the price of both items has really gone up in the last decade or so.

Nothing wrong with my skin tissue or my brothers and we have used it on cuts since the early 1950s. Mama always had soem on hand. That,Iodine and Mercuricone.
But for infection its table salt soak or just paste.
Told daughter just last week after she ggot mites opening old flour in her preps. She made salt paste then covered it with vasaline to smother them. She was going nuts they get under the skin need to be smothered and top skin needs ot heal.
She couldn't thank me enough.

Nothing wrong with my skin tissue or my brothers and we have used it on cuts since the early 1950s. Mama always had some on hand. That,Iodine and Mercuricone.
Told daughter just last week after she got mites opening old flour in her preps. She made salt paste then covered it with vaseline to smother them. She was going nuts they get under the skin need to be smothered and top skin needs to heal.
I never thought to use salt for cleaning a wound. I know we used to rinse our mouth with salt water if we had a canker sore. I would think the salt would burn, but maybe it is burning the germs as well.

I remember using iodine and Mercurochrome as a child. Mercurochrome has mercury in it. I doubt we can buy that anymore.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with my skin tissue or my brothers and we have used it on cuts since the early 1950s. Mama always had soem on hand. That,Iodine and Mercuricone.
Told daughter just last week after she ggot mites opening old flour in her preps. She made salt paste then covered it with vasaline to smother them. She was going nuts they get under the skin need to be smothered and top skin needs ot heal.
When I was around 10y.o (a long time ago) I had a wood-tick latch onto my belly while I was messing with some firewood. Par twisted it off, but the head must have stayed in me anyway. Next morning Mar taped a little piece of fat bacon over the red spot. Next morning the redness was gone.

I never thought to use salt for cleaning a wound. I know we used to rinse our mouth with salt water if we had a canker sore. I would think the salt would burn, but maybe it is burning the germs as well.

I remember using iodine and mecuricome as a child. Mecuricome has mercury in it. I doubt we can buy that anymore.
The spelling is mercurichrome, I think. Not in stores now, nor is merthiolate. Still have a little of that left; and it still works.

When I was around 10y.o (a long time ago) I had a wood-tick latch onto my belly while I was messing with some firewood. Par twisted it off, but the head must have stayed in me anyway. Next morning Mar taped a little piece of fat bacon over the red spot. Next morning the redness was gone.

I have heard of this before. You know they also use maggots now to eat rotten flesh in human wounds. And do you rememebr when drug stores sold leeches for black eyes and such?

The spelling is mercurichrome, I think. Not in stores now, nor is merthiolate. Still have a little of that left; and it still works.

Thanls VThil, and I forgot about the Merthiolate,we used that too.

I remember using iodine and mecuricome as a child. Mecuricome has mercury in it. I doubt we can buy that anymore.

LOL Weedy mercuryis not good for ya at all. I still haave my mercury thermometer and it will never need a battery but now the PTB say throw them away. While at same tiem puch these mercury filled ligt bilbs. They do last a long time but try tsking one out of socket after it has became a part of it over the years. We did several years ago and it broke, gave him lots of charcoal tablets and made him soak in Epsom Salts..

LOL Weedy mercuryis not good for ya at all. I still haave my mercury thermometer and it will never need a battery but now the PTB say throw them away. While at same tiem puch these mercury filled ligt bilbs. They do last a long time but try tsking one out of socket after it has became a part of it over the years. We did several years ago and it broke, gave him lots of charcoal tablets and made him soak in Epsom Salts..
I have a digital thermometer, actually a couple. The batteries are dead and almost impossible to find replacements! And I have two mercury thermometers. They are not necessarily as easy as I remember.

I have a digital thermometer, actually a couple. The batteries are dead and almost impossible to find replacements! And I have two mercury thermometers. They are not necessarily as easy as I remember.

I can tell you one thing for sure the yare not easy on the eyes. Hubby was sick with sinus about 2 wks ago and I used it on him, been a long time since I tried to use one.

I've used a diluted mix of 35% food grade HP for putting on vegetable starts, it works great. I read a few years ago that when rain falls it picks up oxygen molecules and falls as HP, it seems as though that makes grass so green in the spring. I haven't figured out how food grade HP is used, my guess is it's used to clean food processing equipment. By the way I've seen the 35% stuff burn a hole through leather, so if you ever get a hold of high percentage HP, handle with caution. The really high percentage stuff, around 100% is used as rocket fuel.

Anything at a dilution over 40% hydrogen peroxide isn't allowed on commercial flights due to fire/explosion hazard. 70% is explosive and used in rocket fuel with buffers. You can use 20 to 40% with hydrocarbons from ground sausage to solid plastic in hybrid rockets. (there are reported tests of these during the "civil" war) Those tests are disputed and mixed in with the Mexican war when they used nitrous-oxide as the liquid oxidizer.

Added: The Bell rocket pack uses nitric acid and silver to produce its thrust. Talk about expensive fuel...:)

Last edited:
You can be sure that rain doesn't have hydrogen peroxide in it. Sunlight and heat separate hydrogen peroxide into water and oxygen. That is why it comes in brown bottles. It is not stable even at room temperature. That is why you have to keep it tightly capped.

It is absolutely necessary in my chemistry lab. ;)

Yes, also 70% Isopropyl Alcohol.

Latest posts

Back