"doctoring" up food

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randyt

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
My BIL lives in a old folks apartment complex. These folks get a lot of commodity type food. They don't want it so they gives it to BIL and he gives it to us. This food is not very yummy. There is some canned beef and pork that is just awful.

I have seen a few you tube vids where they take ramen noodles and create culinary masterpieces lol.

Any thoughts for the non-cook on how to doctor this stuff up?

My BIL lives in a old folks apartment complex. These folks get a lot of commodity type food. They don't want it so they gives it to BIL and he gives it to us. This food is not very yummy. There is some canned beef and pork that is just awful.

I have seen a few you tube vids where they take ramen noodles and create culinary masterpieces lol.

Any thoughts for the non-cook on how to doctor this stuff up?
Now this comes from a guy that had to learn how to stretch things and fill up teenagers. I once made 1 pound of burger feed 6 people with some left over.

Mix it in your taco meat
Put it in chili
Mix it with burger for meatballs

Basically use it as part of the meat in your recipe. Something with strong flavors.

Beef and Pork are two of three meats for meatloaf. Get some veal, grind it all together and hope a Meatloaf Miracle occurs :). If not, save it for the next potluck, somebody may rave about it.

A nice spicy chili comes to mind too.

Chili, hash, "sloppy-Joes", soups and even stew if there are any "chunks of meat are decent ways to make it edible. I never expect "fine cuisine" when using canned food but it can be made edible and filling.

Definitely bbq sauce and make sandwiches or chili out of it
Or you could do a hash with it
Taco seasoning to make tacos with?
Use it in a casserole with condensed mushroom soup and noodles and seasonings
Add it to spaghetti sauce and use over pasta
Throw it in a stir fry
make some soup

I was buying cans of roast beef in beef broth when it was available. Its not a big can but I make open faced sandwiches with it and along with mashed potatoes. Using the broth and adding to it I make the gravy then add the meat and heat through. I made enough gravy to go over the potatoes also.

There are inexpensive packets of seasoning mix for beef stew, meatloaf, tacos and so on. Grab a few of those to try and put the meat over noodles, mashed potatoes or rice. Mix the beef into a pot of beans with chili or stew seasoning. The pork might be good mixed into spanish rice then stuffed into a bell pepper. The beef would probably make a good shepard's pie when flavored with the stew mix. I buy the Shurfine and Food Club brands for 39 to 59 cents a packet.

Latest posts

Back