Does anybody have a "Woobie"?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I live in a desert area so I don't even own a rain coat.
I did when I lived in Seattle however. I bought a set of Frogg Toggs to carry in my backpack after I got caught in a Biblical rain storm.
I think I was in Seattle that day, 8 1/2". The Coast Guard was directing traffic.

There is a reason Seattle is built on seven hills!
I lived in three different houses in Seattle and each one was on a hill. One of them was so steep that they had snow closure signs chained to the telephone poles all the time.

Why call it a “woobie”?
It wasn’t always called a woobie. For years, soldiers referred to the poncho liner by its official name. Then somewhere along the way, it gained a nickname; the most common explanation is that “woobie” comes from the 1983 film, Mr. Mom, in which a child refers to their blanket as “woobie.” Others say it’s a portmanteau of “would be,” as in, “You would be cold without it.” No one knows for sure which theory is correct, though history shows the nickname taking hold somewhere in the early 1990s.

Keeps the rednecks out of the bars!

Never used one, but does sound like I need to pick up a few for various things. Highly unlikely I'd ever use one with a poncho however. I detest them very badly. I use Gore tex jeckets for rain gear. I swear by them. Keep's you dry when your hiking in downpours around here in the mountains. They breathe better than anything I've tried too. I tend to sweat a lot when hiking and they transport the sweat away, just like a wicking layer of underware does. It's not perfect for that, but better than anything else I've tried.

My poncho was always in my top pocket if my pack.

If more back packing was in my future in winter i should add it to the pack.

Ben

My backpack has a center back pocket that has the poncho in it. There was a time I could pick the backpack up, put it on, and walk with it, AND reach back for the poncho. It seems those days have passed , I don't bend so well anymore. kinda funny, 48 years and nothing changes position in the backpack, even if I can't reach it without taking it off.

Latest posts

Back