Does anyone have free microsoft office?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patchouli

Gatekeeper
Staff member
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Any techie nerds here?
We started a yearly purchase plan thing with office 365 a couple of years ago and I always forget to look for a different plan; I really don't want to pay for it.
Remember when it used to be free? Or come installed on your computer? Or whatever.
I worry that I will lose all documents that I have on this particular installation of MS Office.

LibreOffice might work for you - it's free and largely compatible with Office docs. The only possibly-free version of MS-Office (and I've never heard of such a thing) would go back so far that it would most likely be unable to read current formats.

So what will happen to any of my MS documents if I stop using/paying for MS? Will they lockup? Be sucked up into the cloud?
If I save them, or scan to USB, will I be able to open them in libre?

So what will happen to any of my MS documents if I stop using/paying for MS? Will they lockup? Be sucked up into the cloud?
If I save them, or scan to USB, will I be able to open them in libre?

If the files are saved locally on your computer, they will stay there - unchanged, unlocked, and untouched. The Microsoft Office programs just wont run once your subscription is up. If you use OpenOffice, LibreOffice, or another suitable office suite, they will read your DOC, DOCX, XLS, XLSX, PPT, PPTX, etc files just fine, and you should be able to edit them in your alternative program as well.

Latest posts

Back