Does anyone know of any organic control for grasshoppers?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Snakes and lizards.

A local ACE hardware had these and ladybugs about a month ago, when it was still too cold to release them. I'll check again, but if any are left they'll likely all dead.
The ladybugs would be fine if you can find a good hole or protected place to put them outside. The eggs should also be fine as they would not hatch until temps get where they need to be. I have the invasive ladybugs crawling all over my cabin and have been just catching them and tossing them out the door. They just happened to be looking for winter hideouts when I was doing the final work of drying in the house so they got in and wintered with me.

On a note from old timers solution ... grow a good patch of gourds to turn into Bluebird houses and put them in clusters of 6 or more per pole around the garden area. If you can get them to make a home of it and come back they eat a lot of grasshoppers.

I drenched my plants in diatomacious earth, I used any natural pest killer repelant, I used some heavy duty farm store killing chemicals. Nothing worked in my garden till I raised some killer chickens last spring. Not a grasshopper anywhere they could get to them. The hoppers get so bad here they eat all the leaves off of trees and shrubs and kill the curiganna used for windbreaks.

Attachments

• 103_0112.JPG
    103_0112.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
The ladybugs would be fine if you can find a good hole or protected place to put them outside. The eggs should also be fine as they would not hatch until temps get where they need to be. I have the invasive ladybugs crawling all over my cabin and have been just catching them and tossing them out the door. They just happened to be looking for winter hideouts when I was doing the final work of drying in the house so they got in and wintered with me.
The weather in my part of Florida can be very erratic in the winter. We had freezing temps last week, but today the high was 84. If we don't have more freezing temps before spring, I would be very surprised.

I drenched my plants in diatomacious earth, I used any natural pest killer repelant, I used some heavy duty farm store killing chemicals. Nothing worked in my garden till I raised some killer chickens last spring. Not a grasshopper anywhere they could get to them. The hoppers get so bad here they eat all the leaves off of trees and shrubs and kill the curiganna used for windbreaks.
We have some stupid city laws here: 1. You cannot keep chickens without getting a permit; 2. You have to take a USDA animal welfare course to get the permit and 3. No matter how much property you have, you cannot have more than 4 chickens.

Several people in my neighborhood have chickens and they are allowed to run loose. I've been contemplating doing a mugging ever since a flat of eggs hit $7 last summer.

DDT?
We have a huge problem with grasshoppers here. I'd like to try some natural pest control in our garden too. Our chickens and ducks eat a lot, but the hoppers cover hundreds of acres here. Not sure how to control them over such a large area.

Latest posts

Back