Does anyone vaccinate their own dogs?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know you can buy some vaccines at Tractor Supply for dogs.

I just take ours to the vaccine clinic at Petco. I can get their heartworm meds there too.

I vaccinated 2 litters of pups, 21 pups total.
One had a reaction but I was able to revive her and 5 minutes later you couldn't tell which one had stopped breathing.
One woman that bought a pup called and told me the dog had parvo.
She said she had lost her other dog to parvo and she was upset.
I asked if she had put the dog into the same yard with all the dead dog's stuff.
Yep, you can guarantee the new dog will get parvo no matter what you do.
I bought the vaccine at the local farm supply store.
All of my current pets get the best medical care I can give them.
I have a very expensive cat and dog due to vet bills.

My son and his wife give their pets some vaccines. She usually spares nothing to take care of her pets. Some stuff she buys online, but sorry I don't know where from, and some stuff she also picks up at TSC. I will try to find out. I don't shop around for vaccines but do try to use the low cost vax clinics for our dog and cat.

Rabies has to be administered by a vet because it is a modified live virus, but like everyone else states you can get the regular dog vaccine dhlpp. Except distemper n parvovirus I cant recall what the others stand for..lol..at a feed store.
Bordetella too I believe.
Parvo n corona virus are different however the symptoms are virtually the same as well as the treatment.
Both are horrible to witness n unfortunately can be spread by other dog n raccoons..and can stay live in soil for up to 7 years.
That makes it extremely difficult to get rid of if an outbreak happens.
I started the rattlesnake vaccine when I got my current pooch. It seems to have valid reviews and give the dog more of a buffer time to get to a vet after a bite.
I figure since I'm in rattlesnake country n have come across them..I'll give it to danny dog.
The first year you start it , my vet gives it in two shots the first year, one week apart if I recall. Then the proceeding years it's just one dose.
My vet explained the first year can be givin in one shot but he has seen adverse reactions in his patients, so he splits it.
I'm not sure that is one you can get at a feed store tho.

Latest posts

Back