Dog Biting His Toenails

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Dreamer

Friend
Neighbor
Hi New to the forum and want to ask a question about my Dog biting his toenails. Max is getting older and is now about 11 years old. He started biting his toenails on his hind feet about a year ago. Had him to the vet several times and even took pictures of the bloody foot. Vet could find nothing. Went back the second time and he gave him a shot in his feet and said it was allergies. He is now doing the front feet. I am not sure what to do at this point. I have been giving him Benadryl in his food and that seem to help but he also just lays around then after it take effect. I am not sure if that is good for him to take 2 times a day and it does not always help. Also giving him several different allergy vitamins and hip and joint vitamins and hip and joint treats with glucosamine. Has anyone seen this before or have an idea what I might try to fix the issue I do not like blood on the carpet and mostly do not like to see Max hurting himself.

Thank you

Dogs bite their nails for different reason which can of course include allergies. But sometimes it's because they are simply bored or anxious. Maybe get him out for more walks or other activities and see if that helps.

Mom's dog trims her own toenails because she hates the vet doing it. When her toenails get too long I jut rub her toes, tell her to trim her toenails or I'll take her to the vet. She gives me a dirty look and the next day toenails start appearing on the carpet.

Thanks for the replay. Max gets out and has 5 acres to do what he want to several times a day and when we are out he is out. I don't take him for walks but he has plenty of room to do what he wants and we play toss the pig every night. He also has plenty of toys and chew bones to keep him busy if he wants them
I have never heard of Cushings Disease but will ask the vet. I should be able to take him this week.
I have some spry that I put on them if I catch him doing it. He don't like it but tolerates it and I am not sure if it help or maybe it is just cool but he seems to stop for awhile and he gets another Benadryl then stops.
He does not let me do his nails so we have to take him to a groomer or the vet to get them done. Groomer says they have no problems clipping them but he sure pins them ears back when I get a set in my hand ;)
I will try the feet washing when he comes in maybe there is something in the grass that is bugging him. Certainly worth a shot.
Thank you

Mine would chew them when they get too long. Long nails change the way the dog walks and bears weight. This can irritate the toe at the base of the nail and if it hurts they will chew them. Cut them back. I use a dremel and sanding wheel to grind them back to the qiuck without drawing blood. Usually solved the problem. I find with irritants and allergies they lick their feet, sometimes raw, and washing after being out helps prevent this. Bug bites,fertilizers, ice melt are common irritants. Certainly allergies to what they've walked in can be the cause as well. I once had a case where he burned the pads on hot pavement and he licked for 2 days.
Good luck.

I once had a case where he burned the pads on hot pavement and he licked for 2 days.

We use boots on the kids service dog because of the hot pavement. In the middle of summer in the desert it only takes a second to burn the pads.

I wish Max would let me trim his nail but he gets MAD. He really doesn't like me messing with his feet too much unless he thinks it is a good time to do so. I know I sound like he really is a good dog just has a few quirks and I am not going to fight with him. He has kind of slowed down but I have been giving him the Benadryl which seems to help but I don't think it is good to take it all the time.

Last edited:
My dog did it most of her long life till almost 19. My dog thats 12 still does it too.

could be arthritis in the toes too..maybe next time you have to bring him to the vet, you could ask the vet if a xray of the foot he goes after the most would show any arthritis or damage to the joints? Like master spark mentioned..if the nails are too long it can cause many issues including pain. Older dogs might not always have the energy to wear down their toenails so longer nails can cause a lot of issues.

could be arthritis in the toes too..maybe next time you have to bring him to the vet, you could ask the vet if a xray of the foot he goes after the most would show any arthritis or damage to the joints? Like master spark mentioned..if the nails are too long it can cause many issues including pain. Older dogs might not always have the energy to wear down their toenails so longer nails can cause a lot of issues.

I agree.

Back