Dog in sticky trap

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fort

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
My dog got her tail into a sticky trap meant to catch mice.

My plan of attack (this is the third time she has found one of these traps) was to put on disposable gloves, use some peanut butter to get the glue off of her, and then use soap to wash the peanut butter out of her fur. This seemed to work fairly well, although she wasn't happy with the process. I wasn't thrilled about having to deal with this again either.

Does anyone else have a different (and hopefully easier) way to deal with this?

The mice seemed to eat the bait off of them without actually getting caught. These country mice are crafty. :mad:
I have been setting and emptying traps for my daughter. I have seen some of the traps licked clean. I just keep resetting them. I have caught about a dozen mice this winter.

Mouse traps: this man seems to be hyper-focused on mouse traps. He posts at least one mouse trap experiment a week, of all kinds of historical mouse traps that he makes and experiments with. I think he must be over-run in his grain bins with mice.

https://www.youtube.com/user/historichunter/videos

I have been setting and emptying traps for my daughter. I have seen some of the traps licked clean. I just keep resetting them. I have caught about a dozen mice this winter.

Mouse traps: this man seems to be hyper-focused on mouse traps. He posts at least one mouse trap experiment a week, of all kinds of historical mouse traps that he makes and experiments with. I think he must be over-run in his grain bins with mice.

https://www.youtube.com/user/historichunter/videos
Thank you for sharing that. Any time I start to question what I am doing with my life, I will go back to this and think, "At least I am not obsessed with mouse traps." :lil guy:

I caught about 8 within the span of 3-4 days, maybe a bit longer. I caught all but one with sticky traps, which is why I am so partial to them. The oddball mouse that wasn't caught by a sticky trap was caught by me under a toilet plunger. I was in the bathroom and that was all I had. I wouldn't recommend that approach in general though. It took way too much effort.

My dog got her tail into a sticky trap meant to catch mice.

My plan of attack (this is the third time she has found one of these traps) was to put on disposable gloves, use some peanut butter to get the glue off of her, and then use soap to wash the peanut butter out of her fur. This seemed to work fairly well, although she wasn't happy with the process. I wasn't thrilled about having to deal with this again either.

Does anyone else have a different (and hopefully easier) way to deal with this?
WD40?

I have a sticky trap stuck to a curtain in my cabin. Can't get it off.
On something like that I would try Goo Gone. I used it on a plastic toy that got into one of the traps and then washed the toy thoroughly.

I did have a towel get onto a trap and I was just going to throw it away as I have plenty of towels. My neighbor was here and she simply cut the part with the trap off so she could use the rest of the towel for bedding for her son's dog.

The mice seemed to eat the bait off of them without actually getting caught. These country mice are crafty. :mad:

It’s probably more to do with the species of mouse, some are too small to trip them. In the community we lived last they could get the bait off a wooden trap but the plastics seem to work. Here I use plastic spring traps and a battery operated instant kill trap. I used a live trap which worked well but then I always felt bad killing them. I know it’s weird I have no problem when the traps kill them.

I am partial to the clamp traps. They look like plastic alligator clips. I have caught rats and mice in them. It is harder for the rodents to steal the bait without getting caught. The trigger is deeper in the traps and the bait can not be taken from the back. I first saw a landlord use they about 20 years ago. He baited them with poisoned peanut butter. Even if they steal the bait they end up dead.

As for sticky traps, I don't like them at all. We used them once and caught the little mouse that was ransacking our kitchen drawers. He was alive when I checked the trap and my heart ached seeing him like that. K ended up taking it outside and smashing him with a brick to kill him.

My daughters dog got his nick name because of a box of sticky traps. He decided they looked like toys! He ended up with one on his front foot, 3 on his head, 1 on his back and a couple in his belly. Fortunately he is a long hair so we could cut them off. Except for the one on his muzzle. Hubby just yanked it off like a bandaid. He had a bald spot for a while.

Last edited:
My daughters dog got his nick name because of a box of sticky traps. He decided they looked like toys!ended up with one on his front foot, 3 on his head, 1 on his back and a couple in his belly. Fortunately he is a long hair so we could cut them off. Except for the one on his muzzle. Hubby just yanked it off like a bandaid. He had a bald spot for a while.
Ouch!!! What was the nickname?

He's a bit scruffy right now, he's shedding.

Attachments

• IMG_20180130_204214.png
    IMG_20180130_204214.png
    999.7 KB · Views: 14
Echo looks like a working dog. Intelligence and playfulness go hand in hand but so does learning. Has he been back into the sticky traps since his education? :)

Back