Doggie Doors

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We discussed the doors for years. Now the cats and dogs are so old we have a snowball's chance getting them to look at one let alone use it. Add in that our dogs are super suspicious about any change and well . . .

We had a doggie door at our other place. We also had pygmy goats that ran with the dogs in the fenced in run area. We ended up taking the door out when the goats discovered it and started chewing on things in the house. It was comical at first, seeing them come through the door. But it got old pretty quick.

Backlash, we have thought the same thing about coyotes and coons and such. We don't have inside cats because of severe allergies from several family members. We do have one outside and an abundance of yotes. The first coon or possum in my house will be the last...one of us will die, probably me!

Our dogs have learned to open our front door cause it has one of those push down type door handles. If we can only teach them to close the door behind them would be awesome!

I have a cat that does that.
He figured it out pretty fast.
We have to lock our bedroom door or he will let himself in and sit on top of me.

We had a bunch of feral cats after the neighbor cat lady died.
Saw a coyote one morning and we went fro 14 to 2 in a short time.

They have fancy dog doors that only open for the animal if it has a transmitter on their collar. I don't know though a hungry bear doesn't need a transmitter. .. I would like one but just won't work for me in my area.

We had a doggie door at our other place. We also had pygmy goats that ran with the dogs in the fenced in run area. We ended up taking the door out when the goats discovered it and started chewing on things in the house. It was comical at first, seeing them come through the door. But it got old pretty quick.

Possums are also quick to learn ... doggie dog didn't last long. :eek:

At least you don't have mastitis

We just took our dog door out. We are replacing the siding and getting the place ready to sell in the next year. I MISS the stupid door and its only been 2 weeks. We have mastitis and the only animal that came in uninvited was a rooster.
...what you typed: mastitis. What I saw: mastiffs. Go figure.

Funny thread as well.

We have a cat door. Put the litter box out on the back porch so we don't have to smell cat crud every time they poop. It's been heaven. Only problem was we had a certain cat that was a stupid ass and she decided to sit there and play with the door. She was batting it back and forth. Predictably she got her paw stuck in the door. After rescuing her, hearing her screams from the other side of the door... she never touched that cat door again. Due to her stupidity and other reasons that particular cat now lives outside.

Got our doggie door done! On front porch with cut out piece of screen held down with fishing line leads. Closes as they come in and out. Works great. On real cold nights they stay in guest bathroom, other times when on the porch, they have a red biddy light that keeps them very warm.

My old female looks just like Old yeller. She is 17 and that is real old fro a large dog.

Last edited:
We've had doggie doors in our last three houses and the only unwanted critter that made use of one in twenty years was a copperhead. Despite that problem, I'd never have a house without one as long as we have dogs.
GaryS, you made it here. Great!

I have a dog door but it enters into a built in dog kennel under the entertainment system and there are slide gate doors on that. When we leave the house we close the kennel doors so the dogs (or uninvited guests) cannot enter the house and run rampant. When we are home we slide the kennel open and the dogs can come in. This way, the dogs have a nice heated or cooled space when we are not home. When dogs get older this setup is nice because you can lock them in the kennel at night and they can still go outside to do their business or, as some older dogs do, vomit. New house I'm building will have something similar as it has been a perfect setup over the years.

Latest posts

Back