Dogs Don't Like Bathes

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meerkat

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Our dog was jumping around acting cute TILL I mentioned the word bath!:ghostly:.
All of a sudden things were not so fun anymore, she pooched 'pun intended' her lips out and ran.

Funny how she doesn't mind it as much if hubby does it. Maybe because he doesn't jerk her around as much as I do. She wants to pull and tug and shake and I'm not good at that in bent over neck hurting position.

Anyway she did give me a good laugh this morning the dog has lots of facial expressions and body positions, she likes to turn her back on me when she is mad and stare at wall.
She is the porch dog and if real hot she can come in to cool off as can the two Cinderella yard dogs. Poor things don't get near the attention porch dog does. The large 19 year old prefers the yard though. But we make her come in when it is hot midday.

Our dog acts like she's being shamed when it's bath time. But oh so happy when it's over. She runs fast all over the house or small yard in celebration.
She has a long snout. When someone gets home she will sit at their feet and smile at them, not showing teeth, but you can see that her mouth has turned up at the edges or ends on both sides, that's her smile. Very weird.

Our dog acts like she's being shamed when it's bath time. But oh so happy when it's over. She runs fast all over the house or small yard in celebration.
She has a long snout. When someone gets home she will sit at their feet and smile at them, not showing teeth, but you can see that her mouth has turned up at the edges or ends on both sides, that's her smile. Very weird.

LOL, yes they do get happy when it is over. Our old large dog does same thing with her mouth. So funny she does it when happy and when skeptical about whats coming. It is a grin but she shows her front teeth. She doesn't do it anymore she is so old now.

My two Elkhounds hated baths too. I tried everything to make it comfortable and finally gave up. When I had to bathe them I took them to the lake. They loved the water and would jump in. When they came to shore I would soap them down (I always use biodegradable soap - even for myself) and turn them loose to go back in the lake to rinse off.
They got clean, I stayed dry, and everyone was loving it!
Well, not that lady that told me I was abusing my dogs by making them go in the water when it was so cold out... 50F is not cold for an Elkhound, even 20F is not cold for them. Up at the cabin in the middle of winter, when it was -14F those dogs were panting from the heat in their full double layer coats. They were bred to hunt large animals in the Norwegian winters. (they were also good sled dogs) :)

People are just uneducated sometimes.
Our dog loves to lie in the sun, even when it's 95°+. When she comes inside from sunbath, she smells so bad. It dissipates, but GEE WHIZ!
She needs a bath so I guess that's on my list today too.

My two Elkhounds hated baths too. I tried everything to make it comfortable and finally gave up. When I had to bathe them I took them to the lake. They loved the water and would jump in. When they came to shore I would soap them down (I always use biodegradable soap - even for myself) and turn them loose to go back in the lake to rinse off.
They got clean, I stayed dry, and everyone was loving it!
Well, not that lady that told me I was abusing my dogs by making them go in the water when it was so cold out... 50F is not cold for an Elkhound, even 20F is not cold for them. Up at the cabin in the middle of winter, when it was -14F those dogs were panting from the heat in their full double layer coats. They were bred to hunt large animals in the Norwegian winters. (they were also good sled dogs) :)
I had a kids swimming pool for my Elkhound. He would lay in it and the only thing you'd see out of the water is his nose. He also loved laying in our cast iron bath tub, as long as it was empty. We had to put an eye hook into the wall to tie him to to keep him in the tub for baths.

Yes, they are funny about an actual ‘bath’.

I have always had Black labs, females. When young they LOVE to get in the shower with me! It is the greatest thing in the whole world! About a year old, want nothing to do with it anymore. They LOVE the ‘stupid hose game’ where I spray them with it. They cower as soon as they see the bottle of shampoo. They are good about sloooowly coming over when called and do stand still while bathing though, they just do not like it at all.

They rarely get an actual shampoo bath. I spot wash them after they roll in nasty poop or dead stuff (which they LOVE to do). That is usually neck/shoulder area. And once a year they get a thorough soap bathing before going to family places for the holidays. Their oily coats do much better when no detergent is applied. Swim daily keeps them pretty odor free. All of the mud and slime they love to get into dries and falls off on its own.

Yeah, our dogs know the word BATH too......and don't like it. One of them knows when she needs a bath. She'll get the dog smell going on and knows it's time. She will go into the tub on demand but her ears and tail are down while she's jumping in. After she gets scrubbed, she is a happy and energetic dog! It takes her a while to dry off so I usually put her out on the porch to soak up the sun and get dry. It can be a workout to get that dog bathed.........thankfully, the other one is a piece of cake.

The trigger words for our dogs are:

Bath
Dinner
Walk
Treat
Bone
Ride
Squirrel
Daddy's home

Clearly, there's only one word that doesn't perk the ears up.....it's ears down instead. Their personalities are so funny sometimes!:D

She got her bath and is now enjoying visiting inside till it cools down some. So do the other two so we brought them into bathroom till it cools down some.

Bath and bad sound pretty much the same to dogs. See if they act differently if you call it a shower instead.
A Shelty I had would get all down and guilty when we used "bath" but when I started using the word "shower" she would perk up and head for the bathroom waiting impatiently with her tail going about 50 miles per hour. My Elkhounds didn't care which word you used. It was some sort of punishment unless there was a lake involved.

Oh.mine hates baths so much.she thinks that she's being punished every time.and she she'll get under a outdoor table or chair everytime she has a lil accident on her rear.on account she knows it's bath time when that happens.and yes i get the pittyfull sad why am i being punished look everytime to.

I miss my dog, Nikita, who died in 2013. She was part lab, wolf and Keeshhound of all things, but she was the best dog in the world. She loved taking showers with my husband and then when we moved she could just bathe in the nearby creek. Being a lab, she was a water dog and having the wolf (her grandmother was a full blooded wolf) and Keeshhound, her coat was very very thick. So it was not easy for me to penetrate it all the way to her skin. But she enjoyed the attention of a bath so never had a problem with that. Good thing, she was VERY big!

I miss my dog, Nikita, who died in 2013. She was part lab, wolf and Keeshhound of all things, but she was the best dog in the world. She loved taking showers with my husband and then when we moved she could just bathe in the nearby creek. Being a lab, she was a water dog and having the wolf (her grandmother was a full blooded wolf) and Keeshhound, her coat was very very thick. So it was not easy for me to penetrate it all the way to her skin. But she enjoyed the attention of a bath so never had a problem with that. Good thing, she was VERY big!

Very fortunate to have one that loves bathes. Especially a large dog. We use to bathe ours in the lake when we were kids, and they loved it. Haven't been living on a lake for over 5 decades now though.

When I was a kid our dog hated baths but she loved to roll in the dead rotten salmon that washed up on our beach. I hated giving her those baths as much as she hated getting them.

When I was a kid our dog hated baths but she loved to roll in the dead rotten salmon that washed up on our beach. I hated giving her those baths as much as she hated getting them.

Well the spoiled one is about to get a bath today. So time to see the puckered lip thing this afternoon when it is hot enough to hose down and scrub porch with Dawn and Murphys Oil Soap ' like the smell of that stuff'.

Back