Dogs - How would you handle?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of my neighbors shoots dogs with rock salt. That seems to do a good job for him.

Something like thirty years ago, one of my oldest brother's coworkers had trouble with dog in his small town getting into the garbage.

My brother told him that the way to deal with the issue is to shoot him first with rock salt when he wasn't too far away and then with a regular shell when the dog was far enough away not to be seriously injured.. So the guy went home, emptied the pellets out of a shotgun shell, put in rock salt, and closed the shell. He then loaded his pump shotgun with the shell with rock salt and then one regular shell.

A night or two later, him and his father-in-law were talking when they heard the sounds of a dog getting into the garbage can. He told his father-in-law, "I'll show you how we deal with this around here", grabbed the shotgun, stepped outside, and shot the dog. The dog died real quick. (He loaded the shells in the wrong order.) The father and law shook his head, said "I see", and went back inside.

I've often wondered if that had anything to do with the co-worker's wife cleaning him out and divorcing him soon thereafter.

---

Also, years ago one of the neighbor's dogs would go after my grandmother's chickens. The neighbors lived about a mile away across the field and were good friends of my grandparents. One day when the dog was out there going after the chickens, she decided to scare him off. She stepped out with an old 22, yelled at the dog, and when the dog was further away, she aimed over the dog's head and pulled the trigger. She didn't understand bullet trajectories and killed the dog.

They buried the dog and never did tell the neighbors what happened to it.

What would you have done? Was there a better way to handle this?
I am a strong believer in building fences to protect my stuff. Shoot a threat, and you stop it for a day, build a fence, and you stop that threat, and all the ones after it.

I always keep in mind, you legally shoot someones animal, and you invite them to illegally shoot you. Law is just words on paper, emotion is what really drives people.

One of my neighbors shoots dogs with rock salt. That seems to do a good job for him.

Something like thirty years ago, one of my oldest brother's coworkers had trouble with dog in his small town getting into the garbage.

My brother told him that the way to deal with the issue is to shoot him first with rock salt when he wasn't too far away and then with a regular shell when the dog was far enough away not to be seriously injured.. So the guy went home, emptied the pellets out of a shotgun shell, put in rock salt, and closed the shell. He then loaded his pump shotgun with the shell with rock salt and then one regular shell.

A night or two later, him and his father-in-law were talking when they heard the sounds of a dog getting into the garbage can. He told his father-in-law, "I'll show you how we deal with this around here", grabbed the shotgun, stepped outside, and shot the dog. The dog died real quick. (He loaded the shells in the wrong order.) The father and law shook his head, said "I see", and went back inside.

I've often wondered if that had anything to do with the co-worker's wife cleaning him out and divorcing him soon thereafter.

---

Also, years ago one of the neighbor's dogs would go after my grandmother's chickens. The neighbors lived about a mile away across the field and were good friends of my grandparents. One day when the dog was out there going after the chickens, she decided to scare him off. She stepped out with an old 22, yelled at the dog, and when the dog was further away, she aimed over the dog's head and pulled the trigger. She didn't understand bullet trajectories and killed the dog.

They buried the dog and never did tell the neighbors what happened to it.
If you gotta shoot them, KILL them! No suffering, DONE!

I understand both sides. Had it been my dog I would have paid for the damage & seen to it that it never happened again. Having said that I'm an animal lover & look at my dogs more or less like my kids. I'm afraid that if someone killed one of them, I would overreact in a way that the person probably couldn't imagine.

In montana if a dog harrasses livestock it is legal to shoot them. That being said something like a dog getting into garbage is much like a bear getting into your garbage (fairly common here) . That is just what they do. Does the animal need to die because you left garbage that could be got into?
If a dog is a threat to live stock or humans then there is only one clear solution. We had a case where a dog was harrassing horses which can be serious since the horse freaks out and runs into fences or gets out and gets hit by vehicals. The harrassing dog would chase the stock and then if it was discovered it would run back home over a mile away. The ranch owner took care of the dog when it was quarter mile away at a dead run. Turns out he was a retired army sniper...The investigating officer closed the case by the irate pet owner and told him to controll his pets. Even in montana there are leash laws for uncontrolled unsupervised dogs.

As much as I love dogs, if they hurt the livestock, they get shot. Legal here too. We had one dog hurt a few lambs before we got the LGDs and proper fencing. It turned out it was the neighbors and it hurt their own lambs a few days later and they got rid of it. Our lambs were ok, no vet needed. Our livestock dogs do get out occasionally but they just run around and definitely will not hurt any livestock or people. They might kill a cat , that's about it.
( but they haven't as far as I know, most people around here just have dogs). One of them bit the neighbors little dog once when I was taking her for a walk on a leash ( to get used to leashes, so we can take them to the vet and stuff) . The little yapping dog came running up to her and tried to bite her, she bit back , other dogs fault

So a neighbor around here (very rural N Arizona) had a run in with a nearby rancher. Her dog(s) kept getting out and bothering the ranchers livestock....even nipping and injuring them to the point of them needing veterinarian care.

The rancher warned her about it a couple times and the dogs kept 'getting out' .....finally the rancher shot and killed them - which is completely legal in Arizona.

Now the lady is all over Facebook about it....but she neglects to mention all the details. When I saw her original post I found myself siding with her, but then I heard the complete story and that changed my mind.

I lived is Southern Arizona before I moved here to Oz. I had three mont old pup that wandered and git killed in a coyote trap. Yes, I didn't keep my eye on him as I should...but...at times you just can't watch him 24/7. Now...with my furry boy...I am overboard about watching him. Here, it's snoikes to fear!

So a neighbor around here (very rural N Arizona) had a run in with a nearby rancher. Her dog(s) kept getting out and bothering the ranchers livestock....even nipping and injuring them to the point of them needing veterinarian care.

The rancher warned her about it a couple times and the dogs kept 'getting out' .....finally the rancher shot and killed them - which is completely legal in Arizona.

Now the lady is all over Facebook about it....but she neglects to mention all the details. When I saw her original post I found myself siding with her, but then I heard the complete story and that changed my mind.

Any pet of mine would be totally secured. Period. And I don't mean tied to a tree either.

Been there and done that

I had the same thing and this is how I handled it

I went to the local sign shop and bought a 24x24” yard sale type sign that said

I will shoot any dogs who attack my critters or show aggression

Put that up in my yard for 30 days

Shot the dog. It was being aggressive
Neighbor got mad and called the sheriff stating it’s a felony to kill a domesticated dog in Mississippi
And that is what the deputy said also
I told the deputy the other half of that statute is. Unless the dog is aggressive towards homeowner or animals
He agreed I was with in my rights
The neighbor secured his other animals
Which he had refused to do all along
Twist to the story
The old man died and a relative took over the property. He would not discuss the issue and said his dogs will run free
So I shot 2 of his dogs and he changed his mind

the neighbor thinks I am a sob for shooting his dogs
I think it was his fault . He knew damn well his kin folk and I had problems before
And I actually agreed with the ole boy we live in the country and your dog should run free. I agree 100%. I also agree that your dog can run free anywhere but on my property and the onus is on the dog owner not the property owner to keep the dog safe

==
As much as I like pets... Unfortunately.. I've also ..been there, done that.. When a pet is causing a problem with livestock, something has to give.. Every time I had a problem with a neighbor dog, the neighbor and sheriffs office got a call... Even if the sheriff or animal control couldn't, wouldn't do or say anything the important thing was... Documentation, documentation.. Like said, just one day the problem went away.. Possibly the 3S management system.. That being shoot, shovel, silence like mentioned.. That's all I have to say about that...

Latest posts

Back