Dogs

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AMC

The Shaman of suburbia's son and apprentice.
Neighbor
We have 2 dogs. I'm starting a garden for the humans, but what will we feed our pupperz? How do we make dog food, is that an option?

ive got 2 dogs and have been slowly stocking up bags of dry food and some rawhide chews for them. i add to their food by cooking some barley and adding home canned meat scraps to put a bit on hteir dry food. when i have extra eggs ive cooked that and added it to their food. but ive learned about waterglassing raw eggs and will be doing that instead. i got a feeling eggs will be kinda important in the next few months.

i have a freind who buys liver nad beef hearts and scraps and cans up for the dogs.

not sure there is any easy answer, just got to do what we cna do. once we cant get or afford pet food,m i guess they will eat our leftovers.

dogs like tuna fish, amazon had a pretty good deal on a case of 48 cans, cheaper than walmart even with s/h included. i get things like that too for them, they love tuna or any other fish things

can you go to your local grocery store and talk with the butcher about any cheap scraps you can buy cheap and can up?

Thanks. I think I will look into all of that.

Keep in mind that dogs are omnivores and not carnivores, much like we are. Just be sure not to include things in their diet that can be harmful, onions, asparagus, grapes etc.

I knew about onions, grapes/raisins and chocolate. I didn't know about asparagus :oops:

Some say it's OK, some say it isn't. So I err on the side of caution and don't give it to them. It is puzzling though because broccoli, green beans, brussel sprouts etc are all OK.

Have you given them aspygrass with no ill effects? I had asparagus for dinner last night and I hated throwing away the ends that I snapped off. I guess I need to drill down on it more, as I can't logically see why it would be bad for them.

I just looked at a different site and I see this:

✔️
Safe: The following vegetables are suitable for your dog to eat. Consider steaming or boiling cruciferous veggies such as broccoli, cauliflower, and cabbage, as they are much easier to digest when cooked.

• Asparagus
  • Bell Peppers (red, green, orange, yellow)
  • Cabbage
  • Carrots
  • Cucumber
  • Green Beans & Peas
  • Spinach
  • Sweet Potato
  • Broccoli
  • Brussels Sprouts
  • Cauliflower
  • Celery
  • Lettuce
  • Pumpkin
  • Zucchini
  • Parsley

My first Lab loved asparagus. She mowed down a 50’ row one spring. They were just starting to be harvestable. She followed me and ate all the ones I left ‘for tomorrow.’ Carrots and radishes were favorites also. Actually all my labs loved the garden. Peas, beans, radishes, carrots… Last one got to sneaking root crops out and taking them under the porch to eat. LOL! Found a heap of radish tops under there one afternoon. Didn’t dig them out, to make a mess, pulled at the tops until they popped out. So hard to tell any were taken. They can be sneaky.

Back OT… I stored bags of dry. But figured push come to shove I would be able to split whatever I had to eat, with her. Same diet.

Last edited:
My first Lab loved asparagus.

Good to know. Like I said, one site says it is OK and another one says no. Like anything else, who do you believe, lol.

The site that I last looked at says it's OK in smaller amounts and should be steamed because it digests easier.

I wish this had come up before we ate last night, I threw away all of the tails that I broke off.

A cousin cooks for her dogs. This is her recipe, in her typing. I always thought it would be a good start, basic ideas for making dog food for dogs, especially if no kibble was available. She told me her recipe changed up over time, due to what she had available and what her dogs ate and wouldn't eat. She always adopts senior dogs and cooks for them, so that their last days are good.

Dog Food

This will feed approximately 2 /25lb dogs for 8 days

8 lbs chicken, dark and light mixed
5 large sweet potatoes
1 cup dried lentils ground
1T flax seed ground
2 hands full of spinach or parsley
1 large bag frozen green beans (My dogs only like French Cut )
1 large bag frozen peas
Second large bag of peas or peas and carrots
Or 4 large carrots

All meat can be ground first in processor or 2 lbs with greens and carrots in processor. My dogs like chunks so it has evolved.

Bake before starting or night before Sweet Potatoes for 45 min @ 400 degrees. Turn off oven let sit.

Grind lentils and flax in coffee grinder. Add water to bottom of large frying pan with lid. Place ground lentils and flax in water. Low heat. Cover.

In large pot water, frozen vegetables, and 6 lbs chicken, boil.
In food processor grind 2 lbs chicken and greens or fresh carrots if using.
Add processed mixture to lentils and flax. Add more water if needed. Medium heat, cover cook until meat is finished. Stir often. 10-20 min.
On counter have plastic containers ready.
Some are meal size, some are halves for snacks.
Approximately 12 sandwich size, 4-6 smaller
Twice a day I split one for both dogs. Leave 6 in fridge, the rest in freezer.
Peel and Chop Sweet potatoes.
Approximately 1/2 cup lentil, flax, ground meat mix per serving.

Portion out frozen vegetables until gone.
Cut boiled chicken into small pieces until gone.

Last edited:
There are alot of recipes for homemade dog food online and usually contain proteins, carbs, fruits/veggies and fats. Most recipes I've found vary on the amounts of each depending on breed, size and age of dogs. My 2 are a 15yo Jack Russell and a 9yo lab/sheppard/pit mix but for my own convenience, I feed them both the same and aim for a 50% protein, 25% carb, 25% fruit/veg with a hefty spattering of fat (usually included in the meat/protein) of whatever I have available. Much of it comes from our leftovers, sometimes I buy stuff specifically for them in mind that is on a cheap sale or markdown. Though sometimes amounts of ingredients can vary, just depends on what I have at the moment. They do have dry kibble, but the JRT has trouble with failing teeth and the mix prefers soft/wet atleast in some amount before eating the kibble.

I was trying to can up their food, but I've changed my mind on that, just to save the jars for our food and am now in the process of dehydrating the ingredients for theirs. Including the meats, rice or oatmeal....all precooked. Then I just have to mix the amount of ingredients and add some water or broth to rehydrate it and add some kind of fats, like oil, bacon grease, skin or fat from our plates,

Their food doesn't really need seasonings, but they do need some supplements, like salt for iodine and calcium, either from bones or ground egg shells mixed in and/or even yogurt, Also consider that some of the veggies, are also counted as other components, such as peas add protein and sweet potatoes or pumpkin add carbs.

Some say it's OK, some say it isn't. So I err on the side of caution and don't give it to them. It is puzzling though because broccoli, green beans, brussel sprouts etc are all OK.

Have you given them aspygrass with no ill effects? I had asparagus for dinner last night and I hated throwing away the ends that I snapped off. I guess I need to drill down on it more, as I can't logically see why it would be bad for them.
My dad always leaves a little something on his plate for my dog. So she’s had asparagus before with a little bit of butter and no ill affects. The only effects from my father’s feeding her table food is her weight gain. She’s getting a little hefty.

I don’t give her broccoli or brussels sprouts if I can help it because she sleeps in the bed by me. Lol

So she’s had asparagus before with a little bit of butter and no ill affects.

Good to know. I will ask my vet next time I am in, but it sounds like it's OK. Again, I don't see why it wouldn't be if they can eat most all of the other green veggies. I feed mine broccoli and brussel sprouts. We do, however, suffer the side affects in the evening while we watch a movie or something, lol.

1649007860680.png

I feed our dogs kitchen scraps that I don't feed our rabbits. When we send our bunny babies to freezer camp the cast offs will be cooked up and given to the dogs and our cats. I might breed an extra time this year so we have meat for the pups and cats.

Sometimes cooked veggie leftovers are given to the dogs if there isn't enough to save for a serving.

I need to get some chicks soon. K is being hardheaded and doesn't want me to.

There are alot of recipes for homemade dog food online and usually contain proteins, carbs, fruits/veggies and fats. Most recipes I've found vary on the amounts of each depending on breed, size and age of dogs. My 2 are a 15yo Jack Russell and a 9yo lab/sheppard/pit mix but for my own convenience, I feed them both the same and aim for a 50% protein, 25% carb, 25% fruit/veg with a hefty spattering of fat (usually included in the meat/protein) of whatever I have available. Much of it comes from our leftovers, sometimes I buy stuff specifically for them in mind that is on a cheap sale or markdown. Though sometimes amounts of ingredients can vary, just depends on what I have at the moment. They do have dry kibble, but the JRT has trouble with failing teeth and the mix prefers soft/wet atleast in some amount before eating the kibble.

I was trying to can up their food, but I've changed my mind on that, just to save the jars for our food and am now in the process of dehydrating the ingredients for theirs. Including the meats, rice or oatmeal....all precooked. Then I just have to mix the amount of ingredients and add some water or broth to rehydrate it and add some kind of fats, like oil, bacon grease, skin or fat from our plates,

Their food doesn't really need seasonings, but they do need some supplements, like salt for iodine and calcium, either from bones or ground egg shells mixed in and/or even yogurt, Also consider that some of the veggies, are also counted as other components, such as peas add protein and sweet potatoes or pumpkin add carbs.

I'd love to see a write up on what recipe(s) you use. I did research years back on homemade pet food but they all called for things like Dino-vite or other dog supplement that was very costly and seemed massively over priced.

Had a lab once that loved whole grain bread and cooked potatoes. He would do tricks without being asked if he thought he could get the heels from a loaf of bread. He also would steal ears of sweet corn off the tailgate of the truck when we would husk them. Never did like asparagus though, and we had crap tons of it growing wild on the farm...

I've heard it's ok to mix a little wild rice into homemade dog food to stretch the meat a bit. I've never tried it though. I used to feed the dogs all the critters I shot when I was a kid. Cotton tails, raccoons, sparrows, starlings, ground squirrels, crows, all of it became dog food. They didn't like the birds much.

Beware of the "rawhide" chews. Most are made in China and contaminated with chemicals that are not nice for your dog.
We have never given our many dogs that junk and other things like Milk Bone in 50 years.
They have all gotten along just fine without "treats". And most have lived up to 18 years, even our Boxer, which astounded the vet.
If you really feel the need to give your dog a treat, try a small piece or two of bread crust.

Beware of the "rawhide" chews. Most are made in China and contaminated with chemicals that are not nice for your dog.
We have never given our many dogs that junk and other things like Milk Bone in 50 years.
They have all gotten along just fine without "treats". And most have lived up to 18 years, even our Boxer, which astounded the vet.
If you really feel the need to give your dog a treat, try a small piece or two of bread crust.
I agree about the rawhide chews. We had a dog not chew one well and swallow it mostly whole. We thought we were going to lose her. We decided not to ever give them to dogs again, ever.
I have a client who has two dogs that I watch. She says, "I never give my dogs stuff from China." She is very particular about many things and is about what she feeds her dogs.

I agree about the rawhide chews. We had a dog not chew one well and swallow it mostly whole. We thought we were going to lose her. We decided not to ever give them to dogs again, ever.
I have a client who has two dogs that I watch. She says, "I never give my dogs stuff from China." She is very particular about many things and is about what she feeds her dogs.

Pig ears are a good alternative to rawhide. I get ones that are by-products of a butcher. He smokes them and sells at the local farmers market in the spring. He uses all the parts of the animals he butchers even if it ends up in his own dog's bowl.

Over the last 6 months or so I have almost fully transitioned all my dogs over to home made meals. For two main reasons, the first being I hate all the chemicals and preservatives in commercial dog food. I don't eat heavily processed food, why am I feeding that rubbish to my dogs whom are very important to me?
The second reason is prepping, I strive for sustainability. It would not be realistic to store 10 years, or even 5 years worth of the amount of kibble I used to go through. And then it would be an abrupt change to their diet when the kibble ran out. This way I controlled the change, had time to learn their nutrition needs from fresh food studies and groups. And its one less item I have to find place to store. And dog food in those quantities is bulky. Fortunately almost everything I grow and raise for human consumption is also good for the dogs. Leaving off the obvious like onions and grapes.
For treats they get dehydrated chicken or duck strips. Very popular. No chemicals. I can make it myself and it contributes towards their daily protein requirements.

I'd love to see a write up on what recipe(s) you use. I did research years back on homemade pet food but they all called for things like Dino-vite or other dog supplement that was very costly and seemed massively over priced.
I agree about the costly supplements,......as in other threads I've mentioned BalanceIT, which is another one, but their website has a list of ingredient choices for homemade food that I have used as a guide. I have yet to get a perfect recipe combination that doesn't require their product, but I have gotten it down to '5 deficiencies'.....though it doesn't say what those deficiencies are or how much is needed.

Here is their site and you can play around with it. BalanceIT.com

I don't really have a specific recipe I use, it's just I've read alot of other sites about homemade food and the different stuff dogs need in their diets. Also have a hard time finding any 2 recipes or requirements that are the same. That could be the different needs at different stages of life too.......where puppies need different that a senior dog, or an adult.....then it also depends on breed or activity levels. But for the most part, there are alot of recipes for 1/3 each of protein, carb, fruit/veg and alot for 50% protein, and 25% each carb & fruit/veg.

I still need to do a bit more research for old lazy dogs, but I'm aiming somewhere in the middle with a 40%protein, 25ish carbs and 30-35 fruits/veg. but it's a work in progress.

Alot of the time, what I feed them depends on our leftovers. If there is enough meat, that I can't repurpose for us for whatever reason, that becomes the protein, and I build from there. Any leftover veggies? That goes in too. Sometimes I still need to add those components (protein, fruit/veg) to make enough. As for carbs/grains, it's usually white rice or oatmeal. If the meat didn't have any or much fat, then I'll add some corn or flax oil or a bit of bacon grease. Not always but sometimes I'll sprinkle in some ground egg shells for calcium or some of what I call miracle greens that are dehydrated kale, spinach, carrot & radish greens, that I sometimes sprinkle into our food as well. as a nutritional boost.

For anyone that interested:
If your on Facebook, there is a group called Fresh Food Feeding for dogs - kibble feeders welcome
I find the members a bit annoying lol. And the group is very Australian so lots of recommendations for there. But that aside the value in this group lays in their files and recipes. Their philosophy is to have a large variety of different foods and recipes to cover all requirements rather than one single recipe that you may then not be able to find the ingredients for or perhaps a sick or fussy dog won't eat. There is also a link to a food calculator they have that you can put in what your feeding and it will tell you what's missing. Oh sure it promotes their favorite additives but also helps you achieve balanced meals without any at all.
Personally I have found that as long as I have muscle meat, secreting organs, a varied mix of veggies and grains. And bone broth is a big one to help balance without expensive additives.
I don't do fancy powders and additives. They won't
be available after SHTF so I'm not going to use them as an expensive crutch now. Just my opinion.

From what I have gathered for adult dogs you can balance over time...ie as long as within a week or even 2 you have covered everything they need it's fine.
For puppies it's harder because you have to balance all dietary requirements every day.
I balance over about 2 weeks otherwise I would need an insane number of ingredients for every meal and that would make it time and cost prohibitive.

As I spend a great deal of time alone and don't cook elaborate meals if hubby isn't home so there are very little left overs ever to give to the dogs. So as a time saver I will do the meat prep once a month and freeze in portions need for each day of that month. Veggies and grains I prep once a week and again defrost for each day. Smaller additions like oil or berries or yogurt depends on what i have on hand for me, and what extras are available to give to them. There is no doubt that fresh feeding is more time consuming than just dumping dry kibble in a bowl and so it is certainly not for everyone. I also imagine if you don't grow a lot of the veggies and process your own livestock it would become expensive fast depending on how dedicated you are to giving them a balanced diet. I have definitely got faster and more efficient at it as months go by and I learn more and plan better.

I lost my sheep dog of twelve years. Farm accident this spring. There's dogs out there that need a home. I hear you. But it takes a lot of time to get over losing a friend like that?

Latest posts

Back