Dogs

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our meat processor sells dog food ( real meat, not crap) for $1.50 a pound. I have some in the freezer now. Ours also got all the meat stuff we don't eat or sell ( hearts, livers, old hens, etc) plus whatever varmints they catch outside and eat. One of ours just loves groundhogs. Plus they get regular dog food but man, that's getting expensive. I have tried the giant bags of cheap stuff from Rural King but they all except the puppy who eats everything turn up their noses at it

Oh our dogs all love milk too , we really need another milk goat in production
Plus extra eggs we don't sell, but there haven't been many of those lately

I lost my sheep dog of twelve years. Farm accident this spring. There's dogs out there that need a home. I hear you. But it takes a lot of time to get over losing a friend like that?
I lost my German Shepherd in spring also ( old age, got sick) . I think it is easier to get over if you get another on. I got a puppy 2 months later.

We just lost our Moose 9/30/22; beautiful black lab 4 months old & 37 - we named her Moose because we thought she’d be huge like her parents who are 80 and 90 pounds.
Spectacular Humane Society dog brought up from Tennessee to Chicago. Got her on January 2, 2010. Found out August 2010 she had pretty serious kidney disease. They said she would die young ha ha ha on them!

She ended up having to take a Pill once a day and a cost us about $1/day at the end. Much less at the beginning.

Best dog ever. Haven’t had the gumption to get another one yet but we need to soon as I am very lonely for a dog.
Looking at all the rescue sites right now. They want you to give up your right arm and left leg On the application for adoption forms now. I hate to give anyone that much information when I may not even be adopting a dog from them.
But you can’t go see the dogs without filling it out.

We just lost our Moose 9/30/22; beautiful black lab 4 months old & 37 - we named her Moose because we thought she’d be huge like her parents who are 80 and 90 pounds.
Spectacular Humane Society dog brought up from Tennessee to Chicago. Got her on January 2, 2010. Found out August 2010 she had pretty serious kidney disease. They said she would die young ha ha ha on them!

She ended up having to take a Pill once a day and a cost us about $1/day at the end. Much less at the beginning.

Best dog ever. Haven’t had the gumption to get another one yet but we need to soon as I am very lonely for a dog.
Looking at all the rescue sites right now. They want you to give up your right arm and left leg On the application for adoption forms now. I hate to give anyone that much information when I may not even be adopting a dog from them.
But you can’t go see the dogs without filling it out.
Sorry for your loss. I found after having to put my Porter down I couldn’t bear not having a dog in the house.

When I adopted my Heidi from a rescue, there was such a crazy amount of forms to fill out. I had to list reference—three of them. Gave one of my cousins as a reference. She called to tell me afterwards she says “ I think I filled out less paperwork for when I adopted my child then when I filled out for you to adopt a dog.”

Didn’t matter to me how much I had to fill out. The little pooch is worth it. Even when she kicks me out of my easy chair so she can sleep in it.😂

I have a years supply of kibble and some Dinovite. I'm going to double up on the Dinovite on the next order and keep it in the freezer. I can always can up a bunch of salmon if I need to.

I have a years supply of kibble and some Dinovite. I'm going to double up on the Dinovite on the next order and keep it in the freezer. I can always can up a bunch of salmon if I need to.
Look in to the BARF diet for dogs.

ca41745709ecc473caec4800a7458aed-1.jpg

Looking at all the rescue sites right now. They want you to give up your right arm and left leg On the application for adoption forms now.

Sorry for your loss, I lost my Zeus back in July, best dog I ever shared space with.

What breed dog, another lab?

You have good luck with that? I considered it at one time myself.
I think so. My dog has allergies and the Dinovite helps reduce her reaction to her allergies. The vets in town don't do the allergy testing that she needs. I'll take her to Los Anchorage next year. I'll get some doctor visits scheduled for myself at that time.

Sorry for your loss, I lost my Zeus back in July, best dog I ever shared space with.

What breed dog, another lab?
Hoping for another rescue black lab but whoever said you have to give your right arm and your left foot before you can even see a dog is correct. They literally want three non-relative people to contact,
all of our dead dogs vet records which will stun them with the $$$ we had to spend,
What kind of food we will feed him,
what will happen if we go on vacation and
they want to know where he’s going to sleep at night
where he will go outside and poop… (ok not this last one)

Very sorry about your Zeus.

Hoping for another rescue black lab but whoever said you have to give your right arm and your left foot before you can even see a dog is correct. They literally want three non-relative people to contact,
all of our dead dogs vet records which will stun them with the $$$ we had to spend,
What kind of food we will feed him,
what will happen if we go on vacation and
they want to know where he’s going to sleep at night
where he will go outside and poop… (ok not this last one)

Very sorry about your Zeus.

I remember the days when people would stand out side Walmart with a box of puppies or kittens just giving them away. Now they may be standing out side Walmart with the box of puppies/kittens but they want $200 cash for the stinkers.

It's the 'designer' dogs that are making it hard to find a good mutt to work on the farm. Every accidental litter of mutt puppies are being sold as designer doggies with ridiculous price tags! We lucked out with both of our girls. They are mutts but the owners were just looking for good homes. Now I can't find a mutt 'to a good home' for less than $500! I am going to try the local shelter after the holiday. At least they neuter them.

Latest posts

Back