Dollar Tree

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Dollar Tree to close up to 390 Family Dollar stores, reports $2.3 billion loss
KEY POINTS
  • Dollar Tree plans to close 390 Family Dollar stores this year while renovating 1,000 other locations.
  • About 400 stores will get expanded freezer and cooler sections, and it will also rebrand about 200 Family Dollar stores to the Dollar Tree.
  • The company took a $2.73 billion charge against its Family Dollar business during the fourth quarter.
104123831-GettyImages-513101286.jpg

Discount retailer Dollar Tree plans to close 390 Family Dollar stores this year while renovating 1,000 other locations, the company said in releasing its fiscal fourth-quarter earnings Wednesday.

“We are confident we are taking the appropriate steps to reposition our Family Dollar brand for increasing profitability as business initiatives gain traction in the back half of fiscal 2019,” CEO Gary Philbin said in announcing the results.

Its renovated Family Dollar locations will sell alcohol and include a $1 Dollar Tree merchandise section. About 400 stores will get expanded freezer and cooler sections, and it will also rebrand about 200 Family Dollar stores to the Dollar Tree. It had 7,001 Dollar Tree locations and 8,236 Family Dollar stores as of Feb. 2.

105677772-2ED1-MM-Block-C-short-011419.jpg

The company’s earnings beat Wall Street estimates, which were heavily adjusted to exclude a $2.73 billion writedown against its Family Dollar business, among other charges.

On an adjusted basis, the Dollar Tree reported a profit of $1.93 per share during the 13 weeks ended Feb. 2 compared with average estimates of $1.92 a share compiled by Refinitiv. Sales at stores open for at least a year rose 2.4 percent versus an estimate of 1.5 percent. It generated $6.21 billion in revenue, better than the $6.19 billion expected by Wall Street.

On an unadjusted basis, the company lost $2.31 billion, or a loss of $9.66 a share, compared with a profit of $1.04 billion, or $4.37 a share, during the same quarter last year, which included an extra week.

Shares of the company rose by about 2 percent in intraday trading Wednesday.

The report comes after activist investor Starboard Value, which has a 1.7 percent stake in the company, pressured Dollar Tree this January to change its pricing and sell the store.

The company opened 143 stores in the fourth quarter, closed 84 Family Dollar stores and 10 Dollar Tree stores and expanded or relocated 14 stores. It currently operates 15,237 stores across the U.S. and Canada.

105600725-5ED2-MM-Block-D-112918.jpg

Last edited:
The Dollar Tree I go to is always well stocked, clean and have friendly folks working there.
The one Family Dollar I have been in was dirty, dark and had questionable customers coming and going while I was in there. I didn't realize that the neighborhood went down hill. I never went back
The Dollar General store I go to is always cluttered, but rarely out of a product. Good lighting and friendly people working there.
I prefer the Dollar Tree store but I did find some huge containers for gardening ( $10 ea ) at the Dollar General the last time I went
Every time I go to either store there are people inside shopping so it must be in certain areas where its not working for them to shut the stores down.

We have a few Dollar Trees near us, each one different as far as size, cleanliness, stocking. Dollar General is a ways a way. Wouldn't waste my time. We go through a lot of very small towns driving to our farm. A lot of these towns are at least 30 min to an hr from a bigger town with an actual grocery store. Most of these towns have a Family Dollar. It is a wise business decision to expand their inventory to include more fridge and freezer space, and possibly fresh food. One of the Dollar Trees near us sells day old bread, bagels, tortillas - the expensive brands for $1, always in on Wednesdays. Frozen fruit for a buck is always a good deal.

There is a Family Dollar that I have been to that is not my favorite place to shop. I really do prefer Dollar Tree. They have some good deals on food and other goods that work well for preparedness.

I am interested in seeing whether the Dollar Tree stores in my area will close or expand their fridge and freezer space. They are always busy stores. When I first saw this article, I thought I should rush over and buy up all the dried beans, boxed milk and other stuff. But I will not. I am going to go and find out if they know what is happening in their stores.

I don't even keep up with their different names... There is one about 7 miles from me in a small community. Where it's located doesn't even qualify as a strip mall. There is a farm and lumber store, a dress shop, I think it's a dollar general on the end.

My other shopping options are 20 to 50 miles away. I go to the Dollar General when I forget something from a big store, Bread, milk, chips... Once I had a garbage bag emergency! :D

I can't see the one near me going away... Both registers are always going and there is always a line.

I have to confess... I stop at the farm and lumber store 3 times for every one time at the dollar store.

I don't even keep up with their different names... There is one about 7 miles from me in a small community. Where it's located doesn't even qualify as a strip mall. There is a farm and lumber store, a dress shop, I think it's a dollar general on the end.

My other shopping options are 20 to 50 miles away. I go to the Dollar General when I forget something from a big store, Bread, milk, chips... Once I had a garbage bag emergency! :D

I can't see the one near me going away... Both registers are always going and there is always a line.

I have to confess... I stop at the farm and lumber store 3 times for every one time at the dollar store.
I don't go often, but when I do, I am on a mission for food storage and preps.

More than one YouTube video has been made about prepping from Dollar Tree. Its reputation is spreading amongst the prepper world.

I find that Dollar Tree has better stuff than Dollar General, and nothing in the store costs more than $1.00. I first came upon it when someone recommended buying the shelf stable milk in quart boxes there for $1. I don't drink much milk, but I do use it in cooking, and finding milk in my pantry is great when I want or need it.

I have found many items from Dollar Tree for my first aid kit.

Dollar Tree also has the best price I have found for one pound bags of beans. Like most places, they only carry a limited variety: white, kidney, pinto, black, and lentils in the dry bean form. That works for me. If anyone can recommend a cheaper place for beans, I am listening! They also have lots of prepping items in canned form as well.

They have small jars of instant coffee. I keep one in my BOB along with a jar of coffeemate.

I recently bought pizza sauce and pepperoni for my pizza prepping. I also bought tomato powder, but it is good to know that you could get some pizza making items there.

Like many dollar stores, they have stuff that I am not interested in at all. Their household stuff is cheaply made. They also charge $1 for stuff that costs less in other stores, such as some canned goods. I haven't checked all of their prices, but have thought that would be a good project, to do a price comparison of items from various stores.

One of the things that I like from Dollar Tree are foil pans with cardboard type lids. We keep some on hand for when we have guests over and we want to send leftovers home. They are perfect, much like a takeout box.

I wouldn't let you go with me either.
Canned veg is not a great deal there, pasta isn't either. We have hard water, so limeaway is a good deal. I grew green beans last year with Dollar Tree heirloom greenbeans seeds. They are 25 cents a pkg. Their potting mix is garbage, don't bother. Greeting cards are great at 50 cents. Canned pineapple is a good deal, and sometimes they have large boxes of cereal that the grandkids will eat.

Dollar Tree is where I get 9/10ths of my frozen fruit for green smoothies. Much better price per ounce than Walmart! I like some of their health items. One Christmas I got about 20 fish bowls to put goldfish crackers in for little kids party presents.

I hope the family dollar where i live gets turned into a dollar tree.then i'll do more shopping at it.that's where i get my reading and sun glasses plus a few other items.
There was a Dollar Tree that I knew about in the inner city that closed. I heard that there was major theft by the employees, and if you used a card to pay, your charge would be way more than what you purchased. It was vacant for a while, but now is a Family Dollar. I am sure that Family Dollar has some good stuff, but everyone that I have been in is not clean and just doesn't do it for me.

The dollar general here had 2 employees. That were dishonest.they no longer work there.I've been in 3 or 4 dollar tree's. Their honest clean n organized. .just like gas stations their gonna vary from town to town.

There was a Dollar Tree that I knew about in the inner city that closed. I heard that there was major theft by the employees, and if you used a card to pay, your charge would be way more than what you purchased. It was vacant for a while, but now is a Family Dollar. I am sure that Family Dollar has some good stuff, but everyone that I have been in is not clean and just doesn't do it for me.

Dollar Tree has the candles in a cylindrical glass container for $1. You often see these at memorials when people leave a bunch of flowers. These would be great for SHTF when there is no electricity.

I saw no boxed milk when I was there yesterday. Has anyone seen any lately? I will go to a few other Dollar Tree stores to see if they still carry it, or if the store I went to was cleaned out of milk. I know that food banks can use it.

I bought a bunch of those white candles just without the pictures of them. I modge podged cows and chicks and cute stuff on them and add them to our décor. They are long burning candles. I found boxed milk this week with a year exp. Also loaded up on more lb espresso blocks. Canned bologna and Velveeta cheesy hashbrowns and dehydrated mashed potatoes.

I bought a bunch of those white candles just without the pictures of them. I modge podged cows and chicks and cute stuff on them and add them to our décor. They are long burning candles. I found boxed milk this week with a year exp. Also loaded up on more lb espresso blocks. Canned bologna and Velveeta cheesy hashbrowns and dehydrated mashed potatoes.
I noticed that they had plain candles, and then some with Jesus and more. We have always bought the plain candles and modpodged them or decorated them in other ways. For $1, building up a stockpile of them would be wise, IMHO. I tend to go in about once a month and work on a list of things, getting a few each time: dry beans, pizza sauce, boxed milk, toothbrushes, spices. I may spend $10 or $20 worth of stuff, sometimes more.

I noticed that they had a $1 bottle of Parmesan cheese and thought about adding those to pizza kits. Then I read the ingredients--included powdered cellulose (powdered wood?). I have noticed this on all Parmesan cheese in bottles. Maybe the thing is to buy Parmesan in a chunk and shred it myself.

Their olive oil bottles are not olive oil. Well, I'm sure there's a drop or two in there, but it's soy oil.
Their coconut oil is a good buy for a buck. I store a lot of it and make salves out of it, too.
"Olive oil" is a problem. So many people have started using it instead of other cooking oils. I saw a story about how there is such a scam selling oils as olive, when it is many other oils instead. I am not sure that I am buying olive oil now when I buy a bottle that says olive oil. For a place like Dollar Tree, I imagine we should be very careful about many items that they sell.

Latest posts

Back