Don't be fibbing to that FBI guy.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VThillman

Geezer
Neighbor
" pleaded guilty today in federal court in Jacksonville, Florida, to one count of intimidating and interfering with the employees of an abortion clinic by making a bomb threat and one count of making false statements to a Special Agent with the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI)."

I signed up to get USDOJ reports online, mostly to add to my sense of what's going on out there in USA-land. I have noticed that 'making false statements to an FBI agent' charge before, but I guess it didn't register.

So a strictly oral statement to an FBI agent, not written and not under oath, is a federal crime? Hmm. Has it always been that way?

18 USC 1001

(a) Except as otherwise provided in this section, whoever, in any matter within the jurisdiction of the executive, legislative, or judicial branch of the Government of the United States, knowingly and willfully—
(1) falsifies, conceals, or covers up by any trick, scheme, or device a material fact;
(2) makes any materially false, fictitious, or fraudulent statement or representation; or
(3) makes or uses any false writing or document knowing the same to contain any materially false, fictitious, or fraudulent statement or entry;
shall be fined under this title, imprisoned not more than 5 years or, if the offense involves international or domestic terrorism (as defined in section 2331), imprisoned not more than 8 years, or both. If the matter relates to an offense under chapter 109A, 109B, 110, or 117, or section 1591, then the term of imprisonment imposed under this section shall be not more than 8 years.

(b) Subsection (a) does not apply to a party to a judicial proceeding, or that party’s counsel, for statements, representations, writings or documents submitted by such party or counsel to a judge or magistrate in that proceeding.

(c) With respect to any matter within the jurisdiction of the legislative branch, subsection (a) shall apply only to—
(1) administrative matters, including a claim for payment, a matter related to the procurement of property or services, personnel or employment practices, or support services, or a document required by law, rule, or regulation to be submitted to the Congress or any office or officer within the legislative branch; or
(2) any investigation or review, conducted pursuant to the authority of any committee, subcommittee, commission or office of the Congress, consistent with applicable rules of the House or Senate.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/1001

I should add that this law was first drafted in 1948 and updated in part in 1994, 1996, 2004, and 2006.

So while it hasn't always been that way, it has been that way for a long time.

" pleaded guilty today in federal court in Jacksonville, Florida, to one count of intimidating and interfering with the employees of an abortion clinic by making a bomb threat and one count of making false statements to a Special Agent with the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI)."

I signed up to get USDOJ reports online, mostly to add to my sense of what's going on out there in USA-land. I have noticed that 'making false statements to an FBI agent' charge before, but I guess it didn't register.

So a strictly oral statement to an FBI agent, not written and not under oath, is a federal crime? Hmm. Has it always been that way?
I'm sure it was recorded.
This is where that "right to remain silent" is so important.
And zip it can save you prison time.
They question people because they lack information (evidence) to get a conviction.
And making false statements to the police or FBI has always been a crime.
But it is completely legal for them to make false statements to you while questioning you.

"Have you stopped beating your wife yet? Yes or No"
Edit: Correct answer -
Ingore90.gif

Last edited:
I should add that this law was first drafted in 1948 and updated in part in 1994, 1996, 2004, and 2006.

So while it hasn't always been that way, it has been that way for a long time.
So . . . it only applies in situations where mental intimidation is routinely present? Hoo-haw.

I want my lawyer. I am taking the 5th.

The 5th says "I don't want to incriminate myself".

Be polite, be respectful, and simply say "Lawyer" and nothing more. One has to actively assert their rights.

I am invoking my fifth amendment right as protected by the constitution. I will be as helpful as I can once I consult with my lawyer.

Invoking a right cannot be construed as a crime. Invoking your right to silence cannot be construed as guilt.

State Patrol officer at DVM can get you locked up too.I was applying for drivers license and didn't wanted to keep my old license so told clerk I lost them.
She said get in other line for lost license, that line was out the door in S.FLorida sun and I had jusst came into AC !
So I laughed ans said ' wait here they are'. She did not think it was funny at all. She said she could lock me up for lying to a state officer.

Latest posts

Back