Don't do it.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frodo

Walk with God, You will never be lost
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
right here right now maybe later over there
Banks are asking for your coins, do not do it.
I can see with my glass beer bottle that we are coming to an age of no coin, later no paper.
If you keep your coins they will be double the value the minute the fed says we are not issueing them any more

what say ya'll?

I agree. Seems all part of the systematic breakdown of our Constitutional rights, preparing for "New World Order".

pennies.png

the coins did not go anywhere i know exactly where the are. LOL
what you see is all pre 1964 pennies. 100% cooper, they are worth more as copper than pennies
the other box is nickels

You may have to melt those coins into ingots. The last time the US did away with money the script was no longer accepted as money. Remember the silver certificates? All they have to do is remove the accepted value of the coins and they are worthless. Melt them down and they have value as metal only.

You may be correct that it's part of a master plan but I'm inclined to think it's just as reported.
But with Federal Reserve Chair Jerome Powell involved you never can be sure.

The US is facing a coin shortage — and it's forcing the Federal Reserve to take the unusual step of rationing its distribution
"What's happened is that with the partial closure of the economy, the flow of coins through the economy ... it's kind of stopped," Powell told lawmakers. He said the shortage was due to the mass business closures that prevented people from spending their coins, as well as a lack of places that are open where people can trade coins for paper bills.
The shortage was also partly due to steps taken by the US Mint to protect its employees by reducing coin production.

Until the shortage is resolved, the Fed is taking the unusual step of limiting the amount of quarters, dimes, nickels, and pennies sent to banks "to ensure a fair and equitable distribution of coin inventory."

You may have to melt those coins into ingots. The last time the US did away with money the script was no longer accepted as money. Remember the silver certificates? All they have to do is remove the accepted value of the coins and they are worthless. Melt them down and they have value as metal only.

Unless we got them from precious metal gold,silver they are only coated now. not solid

Yep! you either get the older solid metal coins or you have to separate the cladding and the core and then melt them down.
Pennies are copper clad zinc. Both metals have value. Quarters, dimes, half dollar and dollar coins are all copper cores with a plating outside. Separate and melt into ingots. You won't make any money doing it but you will save the value you have in coins.

I think ( can't be sure) I read somewhere that there is like 3 billion in coins in circulation. Now just where did all that go then if theres a so-called shortage?
Sounds hinky to me
We have a bucket of loose change that I plan on keeping now

Also I thought the fed only printed paper money and had nothing to do with coins?

The coins are stamped out at the mints. There are several of them but I have only seen the Denver mint. With all the gards and fenced rooms you would think they were still stamping gold and silver - nope! it's all copper sheets with nickel plating. Nobody is going to steal it.

I've been told this was one of the ways they can avoid touching money, by using only credit cards. Many supermarkets say they have no change so if you pay in cash, the change will either be donated to a needy cause, or they will print out vouchers for you to use on a future use. This seems very illegal to me.

I've been told this was one of the ways they can avoid touching money, by using only credit cards. Many supermarkets say they have no change so if you pay in cash, the change will either be donated to a needy cause, or they will print out vouchers for you to use on future use. This seems very illegal to me.
Since you mentioned touching money I'll vent a little.
What is with drive-through places having you put your money in a bucket and then putting your change in the same bucket when they give it back? They also wear gloves and never change them at the drive-through. I asked one girl how she gets the cash out of the bucket without touching it. She said she just takes it out of the bucket with her gloved hand. What happened to common sense in this country? I know it's not the workers making these stupid policies so it must be the owners or managers. Is it all just a feel good show.

I've been to places that I've been to are not touching CC's. Some places are being uber careful. You're paying with a card? You insert and do all the work to use it.
Yup, I've gone to some stores that have the card reader on the customers side, like WM does. Funny how they don't clean those punch buttons after each customer goes though. But where I live, there are still CC readers that have to go thru the cashiers register and require the cashier to process the cards.

Yup, I've gone to some stores that have the card reader on the customers side, like WM does. Funny how they don't clean those punch buttons after each customer goes though. But where I live, there are still CC readers that have to go thru the cashiers register and require the cashier to process the cards.
This is where my disinfectant wipes come in. I take them to places and when it comes to those buttons, I punch in my number and immediately wipe my fingers on my disinfectant wipe. I have been known to wipe the key pad. I also see the key pad covered with plastic that is worn out, so it is a waste of effort. If I hand someone my card, I do so with a disinfectant wipe, they take the card, and when they return it, it is received in the wipe.

This is where my disinfectant wipes come in. I take them to places and when it comes to those buttons, I punch in my number and immediately wipe my fingers on my disinfectant wipe. I have been known to wipe the key pad. I also see the key pad covered with plastic that is worn out, so it is a waste of effort. If I hand someone my card, I do so with a disinfectant wipe, they take the card, and when they return it, it is received in the wipe.
I don't sweat it. I handle cash too, without fear, like I always have. I wash my hands when I get home like I normally would before all this started. Then I put my stuff away. As always, I wash my hands before I eat or prepare food.

I don't sterilize anything. I avoid masks as much as possible. For me its business as usual. I will stay away from anyone that looks like they are not on the same page as that is the respectful thing to do, but I don't sweat the small stuff. I am not rabidly following the arrows on the floor.

Last edited:
I don't know about coins. Maybe I should turn them in now and go buy something I know I can use? (Assembled components of lead/copper/brass and various chemicals). I have plenty of lead, and various chemicals and brass, and who knows how that quarter will melt and what it will turn into. What will I be able to use as tender in a darker market setting? Will a quarter be worth anything?

All my magic 8-ball says is ask again later :(

If you melt the newer quarters you get copper. The nickel plating melts at a much higher temperature so you can set it aside.
Lots of bullet makers are using monolithic copper bullets.

Without reading through all the comments first...
If the Fed wants to remove coins from circulation, a few hold-out hoarders won't stop them. They'll just quit minting new ones, and pull in the ones deposited to banks. The retail market will do all the work for them with similar policies to what we're seeing now, "Exact change only." Wait a few years for people to adjust, then put out a statement that "coins are no longer US legal tender, you have X amount of time to turn in your remaining coins to anywhere that accepts them."

I'm in favor of removing the penny and rounding everything to the nearest nickel. Heck, that might be how it gets done. Every so often find an excuse to remove the lowest denomination coin from circulation.

Back