Doogan progress

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We had a 6 foot kingsnake in the yard, young girls screaming cuz they nearly ran over it on their bikes. My son and a neighbor show up, both detemine to kill it. I didn't beg for it's life hard enough and they killed it. Within the week I had a copperhead go across my path, probably 20 feet from where that kingsnake was killed. So, by all means, would someone please start raising kingsnakes??

And Doogan is learning! Glad he made it out of the water. You tell gripping stories, phideaux!

In 25 years living here, I've seen 1 tiny copperhead, 1 rattler.
But, I know where there are at least 4 king snakes territory. Always near buildings, barns, brush piles...food supply.

I found a king snake skin
In my shop last year 7 1/2 ft long. I think I posted it here somewhere.
Doogan met one behind the shop last week , about 3 ft,
That's small for a king snake.
They are my protectors against poisonous vipers.

I do keep my eyes open though.

Jim
It is great that you have king snakes and not the others.
This is fun to hear about Doogan and his growth. I love him and haven't met him.

Eighteenth day,

Thought I'd share an experience we had today .

Picture a railroad track elevated 80ft or more , running east and west, across the north side of my property . Great backstop for my shooting range btw.
Now picture a 4' culvert running north to south under the railroad that's been , dumping all runoff from farmland onto my property, for last 40 year, creating a hole 20ft deep and 30-40 ft diameter, which created the creek that runs halfway round my property.

Years ago I built up the south side of the hole with dirt to. Prevent overflows.

Now you got the picture , guess who went over the edge, that I built up, down to the water , about 10-15 ft almost straight down to the water. Wish I had my phone , he didn't know what to do. He tried climbing back up...too steep. Then he starts whining, so I walk down the creek 50ft, and get down into creek , standing on Rock/Sand bar , started calling and clapping my hands...he's going nuts , but still barking and carrying on.

Finally I here a big splash and see him coming around the corner swimming his butt off.

He made down the creek to me and got out. I told him he was not smart...don't go if you can't return..but a good swimmer.

We run some more to dry off.

Funny...
Guess you had to be there.

Another day in the life of Doogan .

Jim
He's a youngster. He will learn.

Nineteenth day,

Just some random Playtime today.

First pic is that culvert coming under railroad and the pond it created that Doogan got himself in a pickle yesterday.
IMG_20200505_165101543.jpg

He grabbed an empty water bottle from the cup holder in the golf cart...he found a new toy.
IMG_20200505_170446622.jpg

Then he just wanted to roll in the tall grass and be a puppy.
IMG_20200505_170244169.jpg
IMG_20200505_170303602.jpg

IMG_20200505_170218597.jpg

Then we went running
IMG_20200505_165311575.jpg

IMG_20200505_164615987.jpg

He wanted to go on the deck , but he didn't .
He probably would if I wasn't watching.
IMG_20200505_164320072.jpg

He's a good boy.
He's smart.

Do you see that he has put in some weight in 19 days?

Jim

We had treeing walkers and running walkers when I was a kid. Doogan's colors more closely match a treeing walker... but those ears are too short for either as well as his legs. Been curious about his ears since you got him, can't seem to place those. They are almost beagle like.

He looks like a fine pup in any case. Any dog thats smart and can be trained makes a good dog. He seems to be coming alone nicely. :)

There are so many different kinds of hound dogs, full breed, that I had never heard of until I researched a particular breed, Kelpie, which lead me to the Black Cur, and other breeds. A friend has a Black Cur. I think that's a Louisiana breed.
Edited to add: sorry, it's a black mouth cur

I did a paper in highschool about hounds... as best I can remember... over a 150yrs or so breeds developed to specialize in just about any critter in the woods. People relied on hunting to supplement their food supply. There were squirrel dogs, coon dogs, deer dogs and many more. Most of the hounds descended from the english fox hounds that were brought over by rich folks. All it took was two or 3 individuals in an area who each had a dog with an affinity for tracking... say, raccoons... Voila! A new local breed of coon hound was born. After ww2 when hunting became more of a sport the number of breeds began to decrease.

He is working out very well, because he has learned that he stays in his pen when I'm not outside. He seems content with that. Doesn't try to dig out, jump out, or climb out.
I let him out when I'm out.
He is safe at night in his pen.
I'm not worried that he might wander off.

I've never seen or had a dog that pooped in one spot like him . Most poop in a certain area, but Doogan poops one pile. One spot 12" dia and 12" high. :dunno:

I take one corn scoop , once a week and fertilize the woods.

I would like to eventually let him out all the time , but that's gonna be a long time away.

Jim

Twentieth day,

Just stretching his legs..

That machine will run 30 mph or little more.
I have clocked him at 22 mph.

He never missed a good smell to strike on..
I suspect the bird was sitting on the bottom hot wire and pecked to he ground for a bug.....zzzapppo..

He does keep me entertained.

Jim

Twenty eigth day,

The big boy is doing very good.
I haven't posted for 8 days, but we still working with him.
He has his stubborn streaks. He wants to go on our back deck , entrance to house a and I've declared it off limits.
He thinks it's a game we play. He sneaks on I sneak thru garage and surprise him, he runs.

He does not like noise, garden tractor or farm tractor, but he will follow me on either one , but keeps about 50 ft distance.

I fired off a few 22 rounds near his pen , just to see his reaction....scared him and he ran and hid.
That could take long time, because he don't like noisy things.

Started leash training yesterday. Oh boy, he don't like the leash.
He is showing some progress , as he is a fast learner.
He is learning not to puul me, to stay closer , and he doesn't get the choker .
It's gonna take some time.

One day , when he is starting to act better , listen to commands, I'll get some video.

He is so strong.

Progressing .

Jim

Twenty eigth day,

The big boy is doing very good.
I haven't posted for 8 days, but we still working with him.
He has his stubborn streaks. He wants to go on our back deck , entrance to house a and I've declared it off limits.
He thinks it's a game we play. He sneaks on I sneak thru garage and surprise him, he runs.

He does not like noise, garden tractor or farm tractor, but he will follow me on either one , but keeps about 50 ft distance.

I fired off a few 22 rounds near his pen , just to see his reaction....scared him and he ran and hid.
That could take long time, because he don't like noisy things.

Started leash training yesterday. Oh boy, he don't like the leash.
He is showing some progress , as he is a fast learner.
He is learning not to puul me, to stay closer , and he doesn't get the choker .
It's gonna take some time.

One day , when he is starting to act better , listen to commands, I'll get some video.

He is so strong.

Progressing .

Jim
JIm I trained all our dogs not to pull walking on lease.
This worked for me ,may not for you,but when they pull I turn them in other direction keeping them close to me at same time and say 'WALK' kinda loud.Hubby puts a lease under one front leg.

He is really becoming my sidekick.
He just likes to hang beside me when I'm working or fishing.

I think I have found his major ancestry line.
View attachment 42337
They told me when I got him he was half Lab.

I see it, and that counts for his intelligence also.

Jim

Our Alice we lost a couple years ago was a grey hound rescue because a lab jumped fence and got with the greyhound.Not to take away from our other dogs over the years we had soem good ones, but she was the smarest and bravest dog we ever had. She was a few weeks fro mbeing 19 and top weight was 75lb.s.
That is a fine dog you have Jim an seems to make you very happy.

We had a mixed black lab once and she was the best.
:cry:
Hadn't had a dog in more than 10 years when we got her.
I'm glad he's shown you how smart he is so quickly. It is a real treat reading about his progression. I might have run and hidden too not knowing you were going to fire off a couple.
Remember cap guns? For some reason I had a roll of caps tucked away in a drawer so I asked the minions if they wanted to "play caps." Haha apparently I was neglectful in teaching them about caps.
Anyway, we were tapping them out with a rock on the front porch yesterday. The dog (not a lab) was freaking out so I let her out to join us. I'm not sure why, but she thought it was very exciting.
Maybe Doogan would prefer caps for starts. We've never taken our dog out shooting but she doesn't like guns. We've had her since she was 6 or 7 weeks old, good situation, so not sure what her problem is with guns. She also doesn't care for fireworks sounds, a frequent occurrence in Texas.
Is Doogan ok with thunder?

He is really becoming my sidekick.
He just likes to hang beside me when I'm working or fishing.

I think I have found his major ancestry line.
View attachment 42337
They told me when I got him he was half Lab.

I see it, and that counts for his intelligence also.

Jim
Want to have fun? Send a DNA sample to ancestry .com lol

He doesn't react at all to thunder.
But I got to introduce him to gunfire.

Everyday I see several big turtles floating around the pond,
So yesterday I took the 22 mag rifle out when we went out running .
At least he got to see it and me carrying it.
Not one stinking turtle showed up. Too windy.

He will get introduced.

Jim

We had a mixed black lab once and she was the best.
:cry:
Hadn't had a dog in more than 10 years when we got her.
I'm glad he's shown you how smart he is so quickly. It is a real treat reading about his progression. I might have run and hidden too not knowing you were going to fire off a couple.
Remember cap guns? For some reason I had a roll of caps tucked away in a drawer so I asked the minions if they wanted to "play caps." Haha apparently I was neglectful in teaching them about caps.
Anyway, we were tapping them out with a rock on the front porch yesterday. The dog (not a lab) was freaking out so I let her out to join us. I'm not sure why, but she thought it was very exciting.
Maybe Doogan would prefer caps for starts. We've never taken our dog out shooting but she doesn't like guns. We've had her since she was 6 or 7 weeks old, good situation, so not sure what her problem is with guns. She also doesn't care for fireworks sounds, a frequent occurrence in Texas.
Is Doogan ok with thunder?

Most dogs we've had don't like thunder,gunfire and hate fire work celebrations.

We had a lake full of snapping turtles in StoneMountain Ga.. We swam with moccasins and snappers all my life up to 13 when we moved from our propert and lake.Down here people swim with all kinds of snakes and gators ,I am concrned about the new arrivals though of snakes.
I wondered for several reasons, one of which being that snappers are said by some to be good eating, another being that if they are herbiferous turtles, why the antagonism.

I wondered for several reasons, one of which being that snappers are said by some to be good eating, another being that if they are herbiferous turtles, why the antagonism.

I know some people in Georgia ate turtles.Some of the fishermen at our lake did.Plus couple lived next door to us 40 yr ago in Atlanta ate them.

Thirty sixth day,

I felt a little better today so Doogan and I went cruisin .
He really likes playing in the creek.

I tossed a few treats in the creek...and he seen me and sniffed out every one of them.
We just spent lots of time running and playing.
I could tell he missed me, because he was constantly coming over and checking on me, which he usually don't do
We had fun.
IMG_20200518_102427339.jpg
IMG_20200518_102732075.jpg
IMG_20200518_102757520.jpg
IMG_20200518_102752730.jpg

Jim

Back