Doogan progress

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phideaux

Old fashioned
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Thought I'd do a thread on Doogan , unsteady of the daily thread.

I took Doogan from the county shelter last Friday.
He's approx 1 year old.
I don't think anybody knows for sure what genetics he's got.
Seems to be that most folks believe him to have strong Walker Coonhound a who knows what else.
Some have said Lab , die..German Shepherd...I dunno.

1st day at home was kinda wild , he was not behaved or discipled at all.
Ok, puppy in him.
Jumped all over people.
Only eat s his dog food when left alone.

Would not listen to any commands or his name.

On leash he was better but overly excited.

Second day , calmer , but still jumping on me.
Running non stop on leash.
Starting to come on command. Still only eats when alone.

Third day, only on leash for couple minutes, the off for couple hours, running everywhere we went, b it only 15-20' from me, and he is now coming to me for a treat on every call.
He decided to go for a swim in the pond , on his own. He decided to check out the electric fence around garden.very traumatic.
He wouldn't get off the golf cart after that .
AND he is no longer jumping on me. Don't even try.
Progress.

Fourth day, no more leash at all, no jumping up on me at all, minds very well when commanded to come. We went to back pasture for a run. I could tell right away he was not his normal energetic self .
He wouldn't run, stay right beside golf cart.
We only exercised for short time. He let him wonder around while I worked on BB arbor, I could tell he is not feeling good so I let him just go back to his pen.
I'll keep an eye on him.

He seems to learn quick, I would say that he is high on the intelligence scale.

I will take him out again later today.

Jim

Last edited:
4/18-19/2020
FB_IMG_1587074432227.jpg
IMG_20200417_140833194_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200417_135619486_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200417_140039445_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200417_140833194_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200417_142348293.jpg

Last edited:
That's a good looking dog. His head has a little bit of that Rottie/Mastiff shape.

That is exactly what I was thinking; especially that first pic. Not quite as full through the chest, but the head shape for sure looks like a Rott.

Great looking dog, Jim. Sounds like you are making very good progress. Keep us posted.

Maybe drive around the fence in a few days to show the dog its ok to run around.He can smell that fence the loser he gets to it the more he knows its there. I know ours did.
Nice looking dog Jim. I think you two are going to be great friends.

He seems to like that golf cart. Becky got caught in our electric fence at 6 months old and it like to have kill her but some how she finally got free while I was trying to get her out. She's 12 now.
1496761456413.jpg

Last edited:
He seems to like that golf cart. Becky got caught in our electric fence at 6 months old and it like to have kill her but some how she finally got free while I was trying to get her out. She's 12 now.View attachment 40173

He just walked over , touched his nose to it , it surprised him so bad , he went forward into the bottom 2 wires , into the garden ran yelping to the far end ran thru that end and got nailed again.
He did not go near it today.

AND
I just came in from letting him out again before night feed.
He is himself again ...running and playing fully energized..:dunno:

That's good...

Jim

Last edited:
He just walked over , touched his nose to it , it surprised him so bad , he went forward into the bottom 2 wires , into the garden ran yelping to the far end ran thru that end and hot nailed again.

AND

That's good...

Jim

So glad he is getting over it.

He just walked over , touched his nose to it , it surprised him so bad , he went forward into the bottom 2 wires , into the garden ran yelping to the far end ran thru that end and hot nailed again.

AND

That's good...

Jim

He knows it's hot now. I don't think it will happen anymore and glad to hear he is back to his old self. 👍

LOL! sounds like Doogan is enjoying his new home. I'm glad he's excited about it, but also glad that he's minding you & behaving well. It must be so strange for him to go from wherever he was before to your place, but it looks like it's a nice place so he has a lot to explore and plenty of space to play.

Amazing. The one photo where he's walking on the wooden planks his feet look huge. Did you say they were bigger than your hands? He'll probably still get a little bigger, muscle build and all, don't you think?
You've done good, Jim!! Doogan is a keeper!

Awwwww. He's adorable. He looks like he has beagle ears.

Our boy was about that age when we brought him home too. He was VERY active when we brought him home. When we were getting to know each other at the pound he ran circles around me and wouldn't stop until I reached out and started petting him on the hip. He stopped cold and closed his eyes like it was the most amazing thing ever. Yeah, that was it. I picked him up from the vet the next day after his surgery. He was very high energy at first but chilled out fairly quickly. I think maybe he was just hyped up and anxious from being in that noisy dog pound. I have no idea how long he was there before we picked him up. He has been the best dog we've ever had. We never have to leash him since he won't wander far from us. He doesn't always mind the best, but that's our fault. Hubs isn't a very good disiplinarian. Still, he is a very loving and sweet boy.........he knows we rescued him. Ah heck, he rescued us too.

I laughed when I saw the golf cart. We do the same thing. We take them for walks on the property but when the weather's not so great or we're just not in the mood for a walk, we go for rides and let them walk. Sometimes they jump in too when it's hot. The nose is still in the air with ears flopping in the wind. Ahhhhh......good times.🐶

Congrats on your new buddy Jim. I'm sure you two will have lots of fun together. He hasn't, by chance, been on your lap yet in the recliner has he??? Just curious.......were you planning on getting a dog or did you just wander in and he stole your heart?

Amazing. The one photo where he's walking on the wooden planks his feet look huge. Did you say they were bigger than your hands? He'll probably still get a little bigger, muscle build and all, don't you think?
You've done good, Jim!! Doogan is a keeper!

Yes his paws are huge.
About the size of my hand when we high five.

I do think he will fill out and bulk up some more.

Just guessing , but he weighs around 70 lb,
I had to put him in and take him out of the travel kennel in my truck ,
He is heavy.

Yeah looking like he is a keeper.

I'm having fun with him .
He also has a hound lazy streak .
He likes to lay in the shade and watch me work.

Jim

Back