Doogan progress

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know some people in Georgia ate turtles.Some of the fishermen at our lake did.Plus couple lived next door to us 40 yr ago in Atlanta ate them.
About 20 years ago, a neighbor kid paid for his first car by trapping snapping turtles for the Asian market. I don't have much desire to try turtle meat, but they must like it over there.

An added benefit of his trapping our pond was that when I would fish for sunfish, the darn snappers would attack the ones I caught sometimes. I saw it once. It was a little scary to have your rod bend in half and see a big snapper come up with your little sunfish in its mouth. I broke my line off three or four times because of that...

Instead of pics today , I did a little videoing.
Hope it ain't too boring.

We spent lots of time playing today.

First of all he really likes the creek. He's a water dog.

May 24, 2020

After creek , he headed to the pond.
https://youtu.be/rOyMyemRMbs
Then we had a new experience. One that I've been waiting for.
We headed up the hill and just as we topped the ridge , a big cottontail jumped up right in front of him. He took off after it like a bullet, but the hare escaped thru a fence. We're on far south side of farm and near hwy, so the traffic noise is bad here.
He worked hard . Now I know he will run rabbit.
Rabbits always circle back to where they were jumped...so I know I'll not go hungry with my helper.

https://youtu.be/0ya5Ki3VTnMhttps://youtu.be/odd50LGTl8M
After a couple hrs of work , I think he was ready to go home. He just came over and laid down beside the golf cart.
So time for a real treat...his favorite...Vienna sausages...every day
I ate one myself, they're still good...been in storage 10 years...need restocking.
https://youtu.be/vAP0UXJ7rpA
Good day.

Jim

Last edited:
Instead of pics today , I did a little videoing.
Hope it ain't too boring.

We spent lots of time playing today.

First of all he really likes the creek. He's a water dog.

May 24, 2020

Then we had a new experience. One that I've been waiting for.
We headed up the hill and just as we topped the ridge , a big cottontail jumped up right in front of him. He took off after it like a bullet, but the hare escaped thru a fence. We're on far south side of farm and near hey, so the traffic noise is bad here.
He worked hard . Now I know he will run rabbit.
Rabbits always circle back to where they were jumped...so I know I'll not go hungry with my helper.
May 24, 2020
May 24, 2020

After a couple hrs of work , I think he was ready to go home. He just came over and laid down beside the golf cart.
So time for a real treat...his favorite...Vienna sausages...every day
I ate one myself, they're still good...been in storage 10 years...need restocking.
May 24, 2020

Goo day.

Jim

A happy dog, wags his tail alot like our Alice did. Thanks for the video ,not boring at all.

June 8, 2020.

Went out for our daily run today .

He is so much better at discipline now.
He is very aggressive toward critters.
One day last week he jumped a big crow, caught it, killed it instantly, played with for a while.
One day he seen a whistle pig and went after it like a bullet, chased it into it's burrow.

Today he got his first turtle. I finally took it to creek and let it go.
He never could pick it up.

But he was funny to watch.

Jim

Last edited:
Just an update.
Doogan is doing just fine .
We still go out for long runs everyday, little shorter in this heat...he loves the pond.

Has filled out, gained some weight , looking good.
I'm suspecting he's over 80 lbs now.

I'll try to get some updated pics.

Jim

Last edited:
Just some new pics from yesterday .

He is filling out.
He took off up the creek yesterday and was gone for over an hour, then came home all tuckered out , went right back in his pen . He is a great dog.
IMG_20200731_170539544.jpg
IMG_20200731_165514327_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg
IMG_20200731_170733377.jpg
IMG_20200731_170738889.jpg
IMG_20200731_170741399.jpg
IMG_20200731_165732687.jpg

IMG_20200731_170531063.jpg

He's a lot bigger than he looks , gotta be over 80 lbs.

Jim

Just some new pics from yesterday .

He is filling out.
He took off up the creek yesterday and was gone for over an hour, then came home all tuckered out , went right back in his pen . He is a great dog.
View attachment 47414View attachment 47415View attachment 47416View attachment 47417View attachment 47418View attachment 47419
View attachment 47420
He's a lot bigger than he looks , gotta be over 80 lbs.

Jim

He is growing up,even his head and face looks more mature now.

PS great lookign dog.

Well as y'all know , we decided ,for Doogans sake, to let him have a new home that could spend more time with him.
He and I spent a few hours today , doing what he loves.
IMG_20200913_131550830.jpg
IMG_20200913_131543323.jpg
IMG_20200913_131619918.jpg

Sure gonna miss him.
But I can visit him whenever I can.
I'm sure he's gonna have a good home.

They came and got him about 5 pm, they sure did like him ,they just played.
He knew something was up though, he wouldn't go near their car.
We had to pick him up and put him in...he must weigh at least 80 lbs.

Jim

Well as y'all know , we decided ,for Doogans sake, to let him have a new home that could spend more time with him.
He and I spent a few hours today , doing what he loves.
View attachment 50262View attachment 50263View attachment 50264

Sure gonna miss him.
But I can visit him whenever I can.
I'm sure he's gonna have a good home.

They came and got him about 5 pm, they sure did like him ,they just played.
He knew something was up though, he wouldn't go near their car.
We had to pick him up and put him in...he must weigh at least 80 lbs.

Jim

I know its hard right now Jim but you did the right thing for both of you. Been there and done that a few times over the years. :huggs:

I hated not being able to spend more time with him, it just was not good for him, he deserved better.

But my wife and myself had to come first.

Jim
Even though it is hard to let them go, it is the right thing to do, to let them have a good life. It was why I became Crosby's almost daily caretaker. We knew she was going to have a short life, and she deserved for it to be a good one, not days and hours locked up at home alone. Doogan does too. They are special creatures.

It's sad, but you must feel it is the right thing. Years later I still get sad when I think about giving my horse away, and I still can see him looking back at me, as he left with his new owner the vet. Still makes me sad, always will I guess. :(

Back