Double Extra Huge Brown Bear.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sourdough

"Eleutheromaniac"
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
1655518563967.png
1655518563967.png
1655518563967.png

Kinda sad in a way~

I agree that it is sad. That bear likely would have died this coming winter. Would be interesting to see its teeth, they often have no teeth when they get that old. That is what kills the super old bears, starvation or a fight, he can't win, if he lost so much weight. I notice he lost one ear in a long-ago fight.

Amazing creatures

Unfortunately.... That is NOT the kind of critter you want coming around... It is a many sided thing to balance living with.. It is wonderful there is habitat that will support an animal like this.. But a very possible danger to people and livestock... In a place where an animal like that can thrive, you adjust your life to exist WITH them... NOT the other way around...

It has been many years since Wildlife Biology and Management classes.. But a lot of the science, facts, and animal behavior has not changed.. Much of this for thousands of years.. Also, I'm really more a live and let live kind of guy than many imagine.. However, unfortunately, on our small place I can't tolerate a bear for the danger it poses to us and our livestock..

A good bear is a dead bear..... Well... I don't personally believe that either... People talking about there ...personal space.... if, when a bear violates my ...personal space.... as it were around us or our livestock, it is time to intervein Also, unfortunately, the old saying ...a fed bear is a dead bear... is exactly true... A number of times I have had to "intervein" in bear behavior around us and our livestock to assure the safety of all... I don't like it, but you do what you have to, when you have to, and act decisively when you do have to act...

How many times I've read Monday morning quarterbacks saying things like ...just pound a pot with a spoon... This obviously from someone who has likely NEVER been the one face to face with a situation.. When you have been close enough to smell there bad breath, or hear them pop there jaws, I will listen to and evaluate what you have to say..

My 5 cents of opinion and personal experience...

Kinda sad in a way~
There are a few moose that would disagree with you. Every year we loose a few people in Alaska to bears. This thing lived a long life and got a quick clean death that sure beats starvation or being ripped apart.

Every year we loose a few people in Alaska to bears.
--- ---
Yes.. This happens many places.. Most often here in the far north.. It is, can be a vastly different world up here.. For instance.... You tell most people that some have got hurt or didn't survive in the busy just because they didn't take a firearm with them to go to the out house... Most often you get the deer in the headlight look, followed by the ...your full of it look...

I have a photo of the one harvested in 1953. And a personal first hand experience from a fellow that was working on a project near. They visited a lot together.
He told me the story about how they spotted the large bear 3 days prior but were trying for a bear without so many rub spots. Had to get going n harvested the huge bear.
It's head is proped up on a military backpack. So near 24" backpack. Bears head was as big as the backpack. With 3 gentlemen posing near

I'll never take another picture of a dead fish again because I'm a hypocrite in saying that I hate seeing trophy pictures. Never gave it much thought about the fish I have snapped a picture of that I had caught and ate. But, its not really any different. That is a huge bear. I'd have loved to have seen a picture of him walking or standing up vs. laid out like a rug.

Eh bb. The hunter purchased a hunting license n harvest ticket. Money that supports the cost of the biologists. And the biologists set the allowable harvest to insure that the viability of those great bears is maintained for the maximum value of everyone.
And there is nothing wrong with folks wanting to harvest wild game and preferring to hunt with certain self imposed sideboards. As long as ethical standards are used while pursuing a great animal.
For me having great meat is important. And even a brown bear has purpose and grandure. I'm glad to have had the opportunity to just hear a first hand experience

I'd have loved to have seen a picture of him walking or standing up vs. laid out like a rug.
Well, your in luck. I can arrange for that to happen. Figure "roughly" $10,000.00 for the first day, and $4,000.00 for each following day. Minimum booking $15,000.00 this is for viewing only. Figure $35,000.00 to $45,000.00 for a hunt, even if it is unsuccessful.

Whew, I get to peak for free. N hang out with a pretty lady, makes me nice food. Big bears get big by avoiding humans.
I've been out snareing bears by the arm. Yeeha them brown bears crazy, one tried eating me once

Latest posts

Back