Dried Corn in Food Storage

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
heres picture of types of corn. you can see the cross sections and why corns get their names. dent corn is a cross of flour and flint corn.the starch inside shrinks and gives it the dent.theres variations of this as well.some dent more than others. sweet corn is not shown and as any of you know who ever planted sweet corn know the seed is extremely shriveled up. its what happens to inside from allowing to fully mature and dry..its reason its sweet and not flint..its starch converted to sugar amount whatever ya call it process.

most modern cornmeal and flour on store shelves has the 'germ' taken out of it..meaning its oil..so it doesnt go rancid...some cornmeals/flors dont..you need to find out from processor if they remove it if you are storing it longterm. anything home ground has it in it so its going to go rancid in time. its reason to store corn kernels not ground.its fine that way.

edit..theres another 'type' corn and i dont know if its technically a dent or what.but its vastly different in looks.its pegtooth/gourdseed corn.i dont know science behind nor have i delt with it but i think since it shrinks so much it might be a sweeter taste since sweet corn shrinks so much from conversion.also old flint corn grown here in my area when a kid was different.it had sorta a point or bur often on end of kernel. you can see it in the florinia corn many are growing from seed last few years brought back from italy.

R.7a112c6605cfac3b494119f48bf79a2e

flint,flour and dent

crosssectionsofbasiccorntypes.jpg

in my searching out answers of how much i need to grow etc. i figured 2 ears of corn for average size pan of cornbread. i got some corn and shelled what i think is average size ear to measure it. see picture below.after working up my figures for my needs i got small grain book by gene logsden and in it he came up with same answer. his book is most overlooked longterm survival book out there. full of decades of real honest to god hands on doing it and living it..growing and raising grains for him and wife and family.

DSC03457.JPG

DSC03461.JPG

DSC03463.JPG

heres some of my purple dent corn i was shelling last week to get it in storage before spring planting gets here and busy summer.

DSC05278.JPG

DSC05281.JPG

Last edited:
grinding corn by hand is work...but i wanna know with my own hands what thigs are like and things like that so i do it. i have a big grist mill and eventually it will be hook up to something besides arm power..be it leg power etc. i dont know. i can run it off a machine i have with a belt too. but anyway its not hard but its not easy either.this is little handmill..i might have posted this before..i dont know..but anyway..2 ears shelled and ground to see if it was enough. it took several passes to get to point i like though.

do you practice ?

DSC03027.JPG

DSC03028.JPG

DSC03030.JPG

DSC03032.JPG

final pass

DSC03035.JPG

purple/blue dent corn

DSC03040.JPG

DSC03044.JPG

grinding corn by hand is work...but i wanna know with my own hands what thigs are like and things like that so i do it. i have a big grist mill and eventually it will be hook up to something besides arm power..be it leg power etc. i dont know. i can run it off a machine i have with a belt too. but anyway its not hard but its not easy either.this is little handmill..i might have posted this before..i dont know..but anyway..2 ears shelled and ground to see if it was enough. it took several passes to get to point i like though.

do you practice ?

View attachment 83731

View attachment 83732

View attachment 83733

View attachment 83734

final pass

View attachment 83735

purple/blue dent corn

View attachment 83737

View attachment 83738
I really appreciate your research and experimentation for what it takes to store and eat dried corn, especially for those who cannot eat gluten.

Grinding any kind of grain is not easy. When we consider electric grinders, hand grinders, and then back to the stone age of two rocks, imagine the work it takes to just prepare food to cook.

I am curious what kind of grinder you have, that you posted?

I have owned that book, by Gene Logsdon for a number of years. I cannot find it even listed on Amazon currently. Small-Scale Grain Raising - Chelsea Green Publishing
Edit: I found the book on Amazon as well.

Last edited:
the one in picture i used is an estrella . i have another industrial grist mill but i have never set it up.it can be hand cranked or belt driven. i now have a way to power it off my plowhoss tiller since putting an engine on it. it has a gear reduction box so it can be powered. it does all kinds of items both dry and wet grinding and even hulls sunflowers out.

sorta set up i can do...basically like grinder looms is using.

this is like one i have. its an old c.s. bell grist mill

Latest posts

Back