Drinking Swimming Pool Water

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sentry18

Thrivalist
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
We have a number of indoor pools and a couple outdoor pools. They may be a source of survival water.

https://modernsurvivalblog.com/preps/drinking-swimming-pool-water-in-an-emergency/

Drinking Swimming Pool Water in an Emergency | Safe To Drink?
by Ken Jorgustin | Updated Sep 20, 2019 | Preps |

drinking-pool-water-in-emergency.jpg

You may be surprised to discover how many residential swimming pools there are. Just for fun, open up Google Earth and zoom into your neighborhood and see how many pools are around you. City dwellers probably won’t see many, but many parts of suburbia are dotted with pools.

I originally wrote this article way back during the early days of this blog. It has always been a popular hit on internet searches for this general question. So I thought I would update it to an extent.

According to the National Swimming Pool Foundation there are approximately 10 million Swimming Pools in the United States.

There are about 6 million in-ground pools and 4 million above-ground pools based on percentages discovered in a pool marketing report.

According to U.S. Census Bureau statistics there are about 105 million households in the United States. So, on average, there is one swimming pool for every 10 households in America.

The statistics listed above are approximately 10 years old as of this update. However I’m sure that it’s still very close today.

The average size in-ground swimming pool holds about 20,000 gallons of water. The average size above-ground swimming pool holds about 10,000 gallons of water.

How Much Water In Swimming Pools?
can-i-drink-swimming-pool-water-in-an-emergency.jpg

That’s approximately 160 billion gallons of water stored in swimming pools across America – the equivalent of 1,500 gallons of water for every household in America. To put it in perspective, that’s theoretically enough water to sustain each household with 4 gallons of water per day for a year.

The notion of relying upon swimming pool water for a backup source has flaws and caveats. City dwellers will not find many residential pools nearby. Swimming pools are more concentrated in geographical areas with a hotter climate. They are more often found in areas where people can afford the luxury. Additionally, one cannot assume that all swimming pools have been treated such that it’s safe to drink pool water…

Buts, as you can see there is quite a resource of water available in many locations. Enough to ‘get by’ during a disaster that brings down the municipal water supply, or power grid shutting down everything including all well-pumps.

Are Drinking Pool Water Dangers Overblown?
Drinking swimming pool water can (potentially) be safe in an emergency, but not particularly recommended in general.

That said, most swimming pools are maintained and treated properly for it to be technically safe to drink. Years ago I had a in-ground swimming pool where I used to live. I maintained it perfectly and it could have been used as a backup if needed. Here’s what one commenter here had to say:

The dangers of drinking pool water are often blown out of proportion. I’ve owned and maintained an in-ground pool for 40+ years, and am a facility engineer specializing in ultra-pure water production for the semiconductor industry.

Four years ago I bought my current home, with an in-ground 12,000 gallon pool, which I filled at that time and have had no issues with. I maintain the chlorine content at ~3 ppm, the same as my municipal water supply. I maintain the pH at 7.4, slightly below my tap water which is 7.8. A large cartridge filter takes care of the rest.

I’ve seldom if ever needed shock, have not added stabilizer, salt, or biocide. The only thing that would give me some pause is the elevated mineral content, since water evaporates constantly and leaves the dissolved minerals behind.

Personally, I would not hesitate to drink this water “as is” in an emergency, and honestly I have done so inadvertently more times than I can remember with no ill effects.

Of course, lack of daily circulation will cause fairly rapid degradation without some sort of action on the owner’s part. This would include continued chlorination as needed, with manual agitation. Also, putting on the cover would be wise.

Using something like a Lifestraw, the similar Sawyer product, or even better a Berkey water purifier (which can remove viruses, plus bacteria and protozoa) would add another layer of protection.

~Ron S.
Given the choice and depending on the length of time a particular emergency might manifest, dedicated potable water storage would be the preferred solution. Still, in a pinch, I most certainly would not write off the reservoir in the backyard…

Drinking Pool Water | Cautions
If you know what’s in your own pool water, then you know. But if you’re thinking about your neighbor’s pool water, you don’t know.

Some things in that water may not be good for you if there’s “too much” of it.

Too much chlorine. You can easily test this with chlorine test strips.
(recommended test strips on amzn)

Bromide in the water. This is an alternative that some use for sanitizing pools.

Cyanuric acid. It’s a chlorine stabilizing agent sometimes used by pool owners.

Salt water pools. Some pools have a salt chlorination system which converts salt to chlorine. It’s not recommended to drink salt water.

Algae. The water will rapidly turn green if not treated properly.

Drinking Pool Water in Emergency | Recommendations
If you are going to consider drinking pool water in an emergency, consider the following:

Pool Cover | Tarp
Hot and Sunny conditions will degrade chlorine levels quickly. A pool that sits idle without chlorine replenishment or filtration will begin to grow organic algae.

The degradation process will be minimized by covering the water, blocking the sunlight. Some pool owners already have covers. But if you don’t, try using a big tarp during the event. A cover will help keep sunlight from breaking down the existing chlorine in the water.

Supply of Chlorine & Test Kit
The chlorine in swimming pools will break down fairly quickly when exposed to the Ultraviolet UV rays from the sun. Normally, the chlorine level of a properly maintained pool is kept at about 3 ppm (parts per million).

Check this, and other levels, with a multi-functional swimming pool test kit.

Keep a supply of chlorine. I always liked the tablets in a floater dispenser.

Water Purifier Filter
It’s also a great idea to filter the water with a quality drinking water filter. This will remove bacteria and organic pathogens, and will make it taste better.

One of the highest quality drinking water filters I have found, is the Berkey water filter system. I’ve used the Berkey for over a decade. All of our daily drinking water goes through it. If you’re ever considering one, I highly recommend using this particular USA distributor, The Berkey Guy.

If the swimming pool is being used as an emergency water source during a disaster, and the water is becoming green with algae, this filter will remove it, along with bacteria and virus.

Pool Water May Be Reasonably Safe, But…
In summary, it may be reasonable to use pool water as a drinking source if it was (is) well maintained, properly and safely treated, and for extra protection – filtered through a quality drinking water filter.

Note that unless the pool is your own, you will not know what someone else may have put in their pool besides chlorine. I’m certainly not advising that all swimming pools are safe to drink from. Although when you think about it, how many people end up inadvertently drinking gulps of water from a pool – and surviving just fine… When’s the last time you heard of someone keeling over sick because they drank water from their swimming pool? That’s what I thought – probably not…

The “But”
With all of that said, I recommend that pool water be utilized for “gray water” uses. Sanitation, flushing toilets without electricity, cleaning, etc.. during an emergency.

It’s better to have a unique plan and method for safe drinking water and water storage that you know will not have other chemicals in it besides safe levels of chlorine.

I just found the largest pool near me has something called a balancing tank. It is tank full of water used to maintain the pools balance. I don't know how many gallons of water are in this balancing tank, but it is huge. Perhaps 25'x10'x10'. If it can be converted into consumable water it could be a great resources.

My nephew has a water park in his back yard that includes multiple water falls, water slides, jacuzzis, a kids splash pad and water caves. It has 7 multi HP pumps. He too has a 15' x 15' x 12' balancing tank which I couldn't understand its need. He said when the pumps all get fired up, the pool level will drop 2' without the balancing tank. If he didn't have solar on his roof, he could not afford to even turn on one pump. Problem is that balancing water is stuffed with chlorine and pool acid, so I guess it is the same as just plain old pool water?

I could see having a pool as a potentially good asset in a SHTF situation especially for those who do not have wells or other water access. It could also add to risk and deficit. Often, people with pools are seen as being wealthy and having more than others.

If a swimming pool were to be a source of water in a SHTF situation, I would suspend all swimming activity immediately, unless the water was to be used for purposes other than cooking and drinking. A pool used for swimming in the summer could be an asset for saving people during heat spells.

A pool cover would be very important, and could be removed if it were raining to help add to the quantities. A water catchment system could be set up that feeds into the pool as well.

Bathing in a SHTF situation could be returned to the ways of days before endless water flowing through household taps. A former hot tub could be designated in limited ways for some bathing. Limited, not daily or used by everyone, because yuck and the potential water consumption. But a hot tub could also be used for water catchment in a SHTF situation.

Relative to water catchment, I have been thinking lately of filled up 55 gallon drums or IBC totes, and it is still raining. Having a way to take some of that water and storing it elsewhere would be an asset, thus allowing room for more water to enter the drum or tote. A hose to tanks, drums, jugs or other stored in storage rooms, basements, garages or sheds?

I brought a pool for this very reason.

It's 10 foot across and 3 foot deep.

The outer ring is inflatable and it came with a cover.

I'm not even slightly worried about plastic leaching because I have a gravity Berkey style water filter.
I plan to capture rainfall off my roof by diverting the down spout outlets.

I bought an inflatable pool at Walmart a few years back, solely to be inflated to store water in an emergency.

I also bought some tarps to use to increase water collection area. I had the idea of having the kids outside in a rain storm, using the tarps for extra collection area, to fill up the pool...and every container in the house, down to the smallest glass...that is, if we are in an EMP situation where we won't be getting running water for a year or so. During a rain shower, we would be 100% focused on collecting water everywhere we can...and I'd be encouraging my neighbors to be doing the same.

I'm set on filtration & sanitation. My issues are water sources and water storage. Once I get water in whatever form, I'm pretty confident I can render it drinkable.

I think people should take another look at water consumption per person.
We are spoiled to using drinkable-water for everything that we forget how much water we only NEED for drinking.
Take away all the water we need to shower.
Take away all the water we need to flush toilets.
Take away all the water we need to wash dishes.
Take away all the water we need to wash clothes.
This is about 90% of our consumption.
All of this can be done with pool-water or rainwater.
We need only a fraction of the per person govt allotment to actually drink.
I was amazed to see the two water-service meters at my daughter's house in Florida.
This is not new. And it works.
Think about this. (Where's @tazo2503 when I need him?)

The average person in the average environment needs about 1 gallon a day for cooking and eating (drinking).
If you live in extreme cold or heat you need up to three times as much. I go through about three quarts of drinking water per day. I could reduce that but I am better with it than without.

I lived in one town for 35 years where rai catchment was the norm. Next I lived, for 25 years, in a town where the city delivered water to your home tank. Everyone had their little tricks, here's one. laundry was rinses in clean water, that rinse water was used to wash the next load. That dirty water was used to flush the toilet.

This article makes it sound like drinking pool water is a lot safer than I thought it was. I would still err on the side of caution. Use the pool water for all the things Supervisor42 mentioned, and purify what you intend to drink.

To increase our storage we have tub liners which will store about 30-40 gallons in each bathtub. I do not see water being an issue in our area.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/AquaStor...=sem&msclkid=ff25a465a24c115d79fafa2e43e87121

The average person in the average environment needs about 1 gallon a day for cooking and eating (drinking).
If you live in extreme cold or heat you need up to three times as much. I go through about three quarts of drinking water per day. I could reduce that but I am better with it than without.

The average person does only need 1 gallon of water a day for cooking and drinking, but how many people really drink water?

When was I growing up, water was what we drank. We weren't allowed soda because grandparents wanted to protect and save our teeth. They thought it was bad for us to drink it. They were probably right, but this meant we were not allowed to drink soda at sporting events, etc. We did have good teeth and very few cavities growing up. We also didn't drink milk or anything else at meals, we drank water. I believe that was a budget thing. We did have milk on our oatmeal and other breakfast cereals. Grandparents had sold eggs, milk and cream during the depression to buy groceries, so they had a belief that we didn't need milk. I believe that also made a big difference why we were thinner than most.

I hear many people say they don't like drinking water. Water is important, but if it isn't part of daily consumption now, drinking it during a SHTF situation will add to stress. Observe your family and friends and what is typical for their beverage consumption.

I think it is important to look at our current water consumption to see what our households use. Those of us who are accustomed to daily showers, running washing machines, etc., are going to be challenged, especially during times when heat or cold are more extreme.

Latest posts

Back