Duck eggs

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squirrelhunter

Tree rat eradicater
Neighbor
The 5 remaining duck eggs I have in the incubator are coming along. They're on day 15 and I just candled them again,there's movement in all of them. Hopefully after 3 tries I may have some luck this time. Got my fingers,toes,ears and eyes crossed.....don't ask about the ears though :LOL:

I'd taken the eggs out of the turner this morning,getting ready for lock down. Just a minute ago I was going over the steps for lock down and it said to put something like a mat or cloth in the bottom that wasn't slippery,so I thought of paper towels. I got a few sheets and opened it up to put them in and 2 of them are already pipping :eek:,they're not suppose to hatch for 3 more days :eek:,I've got to get the brooder set up :eek:.

I had 1 this morning that the whole end was off and have been waiting all day for it to finish hatching but it wasn't getting anywhere. I didn't want to help it and risk hurting it or killing it if it hadn't absorbed all of the yoke yet. Finally a little bit ago I'd had enough and candled it. I didn't see any yoke or blood vessels so I carefully started pulling the shell off,it's a good thing too because it wouldn't have gotten out on it's own. It was stuck to the shell in 3 or 4 places by dried out stuff. Hopefully all that fighting trying to get out didn't wear him out too bad and he survives,I'll know more in the morning. The other egg that had pipped Sunday and hasn't done anything since,died. So out of 7 eggs starting out only 2 survived,well maybe only 1,I'll have to see if the 1 I helped survives first.

I just spent a week at my other house. I saw a few Eskimo ladies out hunting duck eggs on the tundra across the pond in front of my house.

Latest posts

Back