Ducks!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Can I set them up like chickens but add wading pools?

That's what I did, but be prepared to completely empty and refill the wading pool every couple of days. If you don't, then the ducks will drink poop-water (bad for their health) and they won't get clean (bad for health and for insulation). Also, have a plan to empty and refill the wading pool in winter; when they freeze solid, it takes lots of hot water to thaw it out.

Baby ducks are cute but a bit of a mess... When you water them, they will get it everywhere. ~Just so you know.
I also agree with the pool, depending on the number of ducks you get it will mean cleaning out that pool once or twice a day.
(also) Keep in mind some ducks need water for breeding ... If you were thinking ahead for more little ducks. ;D

I gave my baby ducks a basic waterer as used for chicks. Then when we moved them out doors, after feathering out they got the pool.
I have heard of folks giving them a shallow dog waterer... It gives them a little room and fun in the water, but then you will need to change
their bedding because it is a mess.
Did I tell you they are messy ... lol

We are getting out of ducks, don't have a pond or good pen to keep them separate from the other birds, and they constantly foul the chicken water trough. About to round up the last lot and deliver them to a new home tomorrow morning. Geese also.

An important note my duck raising neighbor told me is DO NOT feed them Medicated chicken food as it will harm water fowl of all kinds. ;-)

Latest posts

Back