Dumb things people say!!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pearl

Finder of lost things AND The Boss
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I'm at work but HAD to take a minute to post this! One of the companies that rents office space in the building I clean is a maid company. So while I'm cleaning the glass on an entry door a young gal who works for the maid company comes in and says hi. She was picking up her check. As she's leaving she tells me her boss is hiring and pay starts at 9.00$ an hour. I told her what I was making working for myself!!😃 So she REALLY said this...." Wow, but who writes your paychecks when you work for yourself?"!!!!!!! So I told her "stick with the company, you'll go further"! I still can't believe it!!🤔😮

I wonder if the light would ever come on for her relative to what she asked you? And if it does, how long will it take for it to come on? Yes, she should stick with what she's doing, and sadly, I know that cleaning work is physically demanding and she is working hard for low pay.

Last edited:
I was just thinking about a dumb thing our oldest grandson said a number of years ago. He is in his early 20's now, lives outside of Seattle (dumb), and is raising chickens and just butchered a bunch for his freezer. He is trying to grow some food and do some pantry storage. BUT
When he was about 14 or so, he walked into our food storage area. He didn't know I heard him tell his dad that the "storage has gotten out of control" and Granny has gotten crazy.
He's changed his mind now.

I'm at work but HAD to take a minute to post this! One of the companies that rents office space in the building I clean is a maid company. So while I'm cleaning the glass on an entry door a young gal who works for the maid company comes in and says hi. She was picking up her check. As she's leaving she tells me her boss is hiring and pay starts at 9.00$ an hour. I told her what I was making working for myself!!😃 So she REALLY said this...." Wow, but who writes your paychecks when you work for yourself?"!!!!!!! So I told her "stick with the company, you'll go further"! I still can't believe it!!🤔😮
My wife and I had a side business (before 'rona shut them down) where we would make & sell thing at sci-fi/fantasy conventions and online. We've had so many people come up to us and say they would love to do something like it, but that starting a business was too scary. I think the powers that be have very subtly programmed the younger generations that it's only safe to work for the man. Fortunately, we have been able to mentor a number of people through the process and several of them are making a full-time living doing what they love :)

My wife and I had a side business (before 'rona shut them down) where we would make & sell thing at sci-fi/fantasy conventions and online. We've had so many people come up to us and say they would love to do something like it, but that starting a business was too scary. I think the powers that be have very subtly programmed the younger generations that it's only safe to work for the man. Fortunately, we have been able to mentor a number of people through the process and several of them are making a full-time living doing what they love :)
And some people have to work for the man! The young gal I ran into yesterday is one of them, but at least she goes to work!! If she was excited about 9 bucks an hour, good for her, she'll be more excited if she can figure out she's worth more!

And some people have to work for the man! The young gal I ran into yesterday is one of them, but at least she goes to work!! If she was excited about 9 bucks an hour, good for her, she'll be more excited if she can figure out she's worth more!
I think that many people do not even imagine being in business for themselves. When I was teaching, there were many independent students, but then there were some who wanted/needed to be told what to do over and over. Personalities and training probably play into all of this.

I think that many people do not even imagine being in business for themselves. When I was teaching, there were many independent students, but then there were some who wanted/needed to be told what to do over and over. Personalities and training probably play into all of this.
Some people need to have boundaries and schedules made by someone else! I guess like a pack of wolves or other animals, there are leaders and followers!

The original comment about who rights your paycheck reminds me of one of the tellers at my company bank, when I would write my self a check and get her to cash it for me, she would always say "you know you can just take cash out". And create a paperwork nightmare. And she would do it every time, And I would explain it every time, it is to keep track of things, and on and on and on.

The original comment about who rights your paycheck reminds me of one of the tellers at my company bank, when I would write my self a check and get her to cash it for me, she would always say "you know you can just take cash out". And create a paperwork nightmare. And she would do it every time, And I would explain it every time, it is to keep track of things, and on and on and on.
I'm a slow learner, but I've learned something "Thank you, I'll keep that in mind." I read somewhere, we don't have to explain. I try to remember that since I have a tendency to feel like I have to justify everything to everyone. It really does help with dealing with idiots - they don't "get it" anyway.
On the bank topic: Recently, I was at the bank making a deposit into the business account and cashing a check I received personally. The teller asked "Do you have an account with us?" Even if they are looking for a personal acct. they can see it when they pull up the business acct. :rolleyes:

… I read somewhere, we don't have to explain. I try to remember that since I have a tendency to feel like I have to justify everything to everyone. …

Instead of answering I look them in the eye, smile and remain silent or continue the conversation as if I never heard their question.

I submitted my expense report and the woman that wrote the checks made a one thousand dollar error.
I pointed it out and she said just whiteout the wrong number and write in the correct amount.
I said think about what you just said and let me know if that would be OK with the bank. Why would they care?
Her supervisor heard the conversation and came to explain thigs. She finally got that deer in the headlight look and said she would void the check and write me a new one.
Three months later and she was promoted to the office manager. :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back