Dumped Critters

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrannyG

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
  1. WHY WHY WHY Why do you drop off your unwanted animals on my street...tonight I was feeding and a beautiful white calico kitten appeared, meowing, and following me...I got it some water and feed and before I could turn around, a second one appeared, not as friendly as the first....later I heard the dogs in the pen fussing, barking loudly, OH NO....one had gone into the pen and they killed it instantly...makes me want to cry...it is very cold today, freezing, and we had so much... to do today....later, I heard the dogs again so went running out, but could only hear a kitten crying, took a long time to locate it and it is sooooo cold out...it finally let me pick it up out of danger and I brought it in the house...no cage around..I now have three cats hissing at it every now and then, it is noisy, but warm and safe and being a pest...Hubby has threatened to throw me out in the dog pen LOL
Hubby named her Christmas Carol...LOL....and then he sang a song about her...Little Christmas Carol, born on Christmas Day, her MOmma didn't want her, and her Daddy ran away...OH HELP...LOL...she tries to kill his socks and drags them all over. The other three cats hiss at her, I brought my Mom's cat back from AZ, she passed this year at age 99, she wanted the cat put to sleep and put away with her, but I could not do it, so now I have a 25-30 pound polydactyl cat hissing at my other two, and now three...LOL

1. 25659519_10204244653553287_6766060911322602317_n.jpg

My oldest daughter (no longer at home) found 2 kittens in poor health and very malnutritioned wondering around a parking lot one day near her home. She looked around and found that someone had boxed up a litter of kitties and threw the box in a dumpster. Somehow 2 made it out but the rest had died. She took them in, got them fixed up at the vet, and now they are very happy and spoiled cats. While I personally do not like cats (at all) it was still a very nice thing for her to do. I would love to get my hands on the person who dumped them.

1. WHY WHY WHY Why do you drop off your unwanted animals on my street...tonight I was feeding and a beautiful white calico kitten appeared, meowing, and following me...I got it some water and feed and before I could turn around, a second one appeared, not as friendly as the first....later I heard the dogs in the pen fussing, barking loudly, OH NO....one had gone into the pen and they killed it instantly...makes me want to cry...it is very cold today, freezing, and we had so much... to do today....later, I heard the dogs again so went running out, but could only hear a kitten crying, took a long time to locate it and it is sooooo cold out...it finally let me pick it up out of danger and I brought it in the house...no cage around..I now have three cats hissing at it every now and then, it is noisy, but warm and safe and being a pest...Hubby has threatened to throw me out in the dog pen LOL
Hubby named her Christmas Carol...LOL....and then he sang a song about her...Little Christmas Carol, born on Christmas Day, her MOmma didn't want her, and her Daddy ran away...OH HELP...LOL...she tries to kill his socks and drags them all over. The other three cats hiss at her, I brought my Mom's cat back from AZ, she passed this year at age 99, she wanted the cat put to sleep and put away with her, but I could not do it, so now I have a 25-30 pound polydactyl cat hissing at my other two, and now three...LOL

1. 25659519_10204244653553287_6766060911322602317_n.jpg

Poor little babies. :cry: People can be cruel. Like your hubbies song,:cool:. We live on dirt road and peopel drop off their animals here and the nwe have to find them homes. One we named Clyde smartest little kitten I ever saw. We took him to WalMart and gave him to a nice looking young teen and her mother. I told her to have him fixed and gave her $20 for little box since they didn't have one. Our dogs would have killed it. A dog came up smothering from colar being too tight, found a vet to give him too. We Really wanted to keep him but vet bills are too much. I do offer to pay to have animal fixed.

@Sentry18 that is so cruel to put the kittens in a dumpster and I would have done what your daughter did and took them in too. Poor little things are so small and defenceless. I also would love to get my hands on the people who did it too.

I just don't understand why they don't drop them off at the pound we call it here rather than leave them to die like that.

Lets also think about those good people who risk life and limb sometimes to save animals too. I watched a video last night about that. Inspiring to watch. Thank goodness most people are good.:heart:

@Sentry18 that is so cruel to put the kittens in a dumpster and I would have done what your daughter did and took them in too. Poor little things are so small and defenceless. I also would love to get my hands on the people who did it too.

I just don't understand why they don't drop them off at the pound we call it here rather than leave them to die like that.

Its because the pound charges to take animals if you take them in.

Wow okay @Terri9630 well that is probably why they dump then in the streets, in Australia you can drop animals off at the pound free of charge. The only time I have ever done that is when vicious strays have come onto my property and they usually pick them up in a van.

We don't live in city the limits so the pound won't come out here unless the sheriff calls them about problem or abused animals.

Stray and dumped animals are a good source of food for real dogs. :sarcasm:
My last two dogs cleared the area of raccoons, rabbits, squirrels and stray cats. I never heard it happen but I found some of the bones digging when I expanded the garden. I did find the scratches on their noses but only saw one encounter. They double teemed a raccoon. One would dart in and pull back while the other would go in from a different direction. Once they wore out the animal they would tear it apart. Smart dogs.

One day a guy dropped a bag off at the end of my Grandmas driveway.
She got it and followed the guy home, got out of her car with the sack full of kittens and marched up to the door.
That guy got a butt chewing like he had never had before right in front of his wife.
Then the wife started in on him.
Happened all the time at her place.

Its because the pound charges to take animals if you take them in.

Everything changes. I know The Humane Society use to not only take them in free but also would fix them so no more litters. Now they have a place called PAWS that does that if they still do that is. I fix a stray before we gave it away. So when we moved here and money was really tight I told my vet I'd take a female dog and a cat if they would fix them for free. I called several, my vet called us back a couple months later had both cat and dog 4 months old they would fix if I'd give them a home. That is how we got this fantastic highly intelegent large mix greyhound that is now 17yr.old.

I live in the country,too,and we get dump offs.I feed the cats,they're good for rodent/starling control.The dumped dogs always find and kill my chickens.I put a baby monitor out in the coop and I can hear what's going on out back now,I can even hear the geese back at the pond.I've got loaded shotguns by both doors and can be out shooting in seconds.The neighbors would let their dogs run loose and after losing dozens of chickens and having useless animal control officers,I started exercising my rights to protect my livestock.People didn't like me shooting their dogs and the sheriff's department tried to tell my they would arrest me if I did it again.I told the sheriff I have the right,by law,to protect my livestock and reminded them Ohio has a leash law.The dog owners were breaking the law,not me.Anyway,5 dead dogs later,I never got arrested and the neighbors keep their dogs up now.I just thought it was a damn shame I had to kill dogs,tell the sheriff the laws they are sworn to uphold and protect and how they tried to bully me with their deceptions.

Stray and dumped animals are a good source of food for real dogs. :sarcasm:
My last two dogs cleared the area of raccoons, rabbits, squirrels and stray cats. I never heard it happen but I found some of the bones digging when I expanded the garden. I did find the scratches on their noses but only saw one encounter. They double teemed a raccoon. One would dart in and pull back while the other would go in from a different direction. Once they wore out the animal they would tear it apart. Smart dogs.

SheepD, Your dogs would run themselves to death here chasing squirrels and rabbits. Ours catch them all the time. Rabbits are real problems in our gardens. Squirrels tear up insulation in out buildings.
Yet what do we do when we find a baby? We feed it nurse it and let it go or take it to animal reserve. My cat use to bring them to me all the time, run right past hubby to me.

I live in the country,too,and we get dump offs.I feed the cats,they're good for rodent/starling control.The dumped dogs always find and kill my chickens.I put a baby monitor out in the coop and I can hear what's going on out back now,I can even hear the geese back at the pond.I've got loaded shotguns by both doors and can be out shooting in seconds.The neighbors would let their dogs run loose and after losing dozens of chickens and having useless animal control officers,I started exercising my rights to protect my livestock.People didn't like me shooting their dogs and the sheriff's department tried to tell my they would arrest me if I did it again.I told the sheriff I have the right,by law,to protect my livestock and reminded them Ohio has a leash law.The dog owners were breaking the law,not me.Anyway,5 dead dogs later,I never got arrested and the neighbors keep their dogs up now.I just thought it was a damn shame I had to kill dogs,tell the sheriff the laws they are sworn to uphold and protect and how they tried to bully me with their deceptions.

That is a shame and although I may not shoot the mutt I do understand why you did. we put up a fence and no more problems with the straws. Except for kittens thrown over the fence or lost dog outside fence in trouble.
Our dogs would get out sometimes and it took us 2 weeks with posters, Lost Pet Site, Vet and Facebook one was found the other staggered up with green flies and real close to death.. They were skin and bones and it was a miracle we got both back. We searched and went everywhere.

Wife and I was on the far end of her morning 3 mile walk when she thought she heard a kitten meowing from the woods. I told her to keeping walking. She stopped and called for the cat. Two little kittens came out of the woods and ran towards her. Years latter those two black long hair cats are still shedding fur all over our white carpet, sofa, and everywhere else the fur can float too. She tells everyone how the 2 cats followed her home from a walk. Yea they "followed" her because she had both of them in her arms on the return walk home!

She thinks that someone dump them and I think she stole some child's cats that wondered a bit from their Owner's home.

Last edited:
Wife and I was on the far end of her morning 3 mile walk when she thought she heard a kitten meowing from the woods. I told her to keeping walking. She stopped and called for the cat. Two little kittens came out of the woods and ran towards her. Years latter those two black long hair cats are still shedding fur all over our white carpet, sofa, and everywhere else the fur can float too. She tells everyone how the 2 cats followed her home from a walk. Yea they "followed" her because she had both of them in her arms on the return walk home!

She thinks that someone dump them and I think she stole some child's cats that wonder a bit from their Owner's home.

:D:)

Local gang bangers would let their pit bulls run loose at night.
They killed one of my dad's calves and tore up another one so bad he had to put it down.
He finally caught them when they got after another one and killed them both.
Everyone knew he did it but the gang bangers didn't want any problems with my dad so that was the end of it.
Dad din't put up with any crap from them.
I had a stray dog show up and called animal control.
They don't have the manpower to respond to calls unless it's an emergency.
I told the officer I would just shoot the dog with my BB gun.
He said don't do that because I would be liable for injuries.
I was advised to only shoot to kill.

Latest posts

Back