Easy Squirrel and Dumplings

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Y'all get to eat your squirrels? My dogs won't share....:) I've actually only seen a few but my dogs will come up with one every couple of weeks. Kinda funny, having squirrels in the desert where native "trees" are a thorn covered shrub.

My grammy made the best squirrel dumplings I've ever had. I had some at a friends house a couple of years ago... didn't compare. It had to the home rendered lard grammy used to cook with. She'd cook squirrel brains in scrambled eggs sometimes for breakfast. I haven't been squirrel hunting in 50 years. I remember grandpa always had me to "turn" the squirrel when we hunted.

@captain belly your post brought back some good memories, thanks! :)

I think I will stick with chicken and dumplings, although I haven't had any of those in a very long time either.

I'm with ya on that one Weedy. Hubby has eaten squirrel . His mother use to tell him to go kill it, clean it and she would cook it. Unless I get real hungry they are safe from me. And with all the squirrels here we should never starve.

I'm with ya on that one Weedy. Hubby has eaten squirrel . His mother use to tell him to go kill it, clean it and she would cook it. Unless I get real hungry they are safe from me. And with all the squirrels here we should never starve.

I like and will eat any wild game. Weeelll, almost. There'll be no possums on a half she'll, or even real possums!

How about skunk or muskrat? :D

Can't say that I have. When I was a kid we ate meat without knowing what it was!
puzzled-smiley-2018.jpg

Beaver tail doesn't taste like bacon either!

Latest posts

Back