Economics,Hyperinflation and more

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elkhound

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Economics,Hyperinflation and more

Travis done this vid on 12-3-20...listen real close to first few minutes and the 35% figure he talks about..

12-23-20

I don‘t know when it will hit, but you can’t simply print money and hand it out as “free” without a future day of reckoning. I do think the pandemic and the impact on small businesses, which is the backbone of our economy, will hasten the reckoning.

debt.JPG

This has been my biggest motivator for years. As Alaskajohn says, you don't know when it will hit. But you know that it MUST hit at some point; it always has in the past, and history is packed with examples.

So I used to say things like "become self-reliant and self-sufficient...learn new things you can use in a bad situation...try not to need to depend on others...don't rely on currency". But now I question these suggestions. Might people who did these things not be seen as the bad guys in the very near future? When you control necessities, you control the emotional sentiment. "Are people who provide for themselves screwing others?" Well, no, of course not, but do you see a future where that concept can't work? Desperate people will believe anything.

As many of us already have, prepare accordingly.

Some people are idiots and blamed the scarcities at the grocery stores in the city when the the pandemic hit on preppers. Calling them hoarders. We were the ones that didn't have to go to the grocery stores. It makes no sense. There were two families in New Mexico that I knew that I told to go shopping and get a truckload of stuff late February. They both listened, although they thought I was nuts (probably) at the time. I believe that they also continued stocking this summer, when things became available again. But preppers didn't need a truckload. I think I waited a couple weeks before going out when NM was put on lockdown.

This guy lives up in the Ozarks a zone rumored a few years ago to have alot of high ranking militaary retirees.
I wonder if that some is some of the 197 ? not sure about number but very high Obama fired.
The info was that Ozarks would be the safest place in America,but don't know. I do know some ol fool was on video there inviting in some people most are leaving cities to get the hell away from.:ghostly::rolleyes::huh:.

I do think 2020 will be missed if the world is any indication of whats coming.

Last edited:
theres a huge gathering of christians gathering and moving to the ozarks. yes lots of former military moving there.especially ones keep torah..laws,statues and commands of YHWH/god/jehovah

heres the first part from @randyt video he posted. i think people are going to realize the lone wolf needs a tribe..if not now they will later. even if its because of aging out and aging in ability whatever that is from being frail,to injury,lack of funds in old age.i.e.social security being gone,part of honor thy mother/ father is to not let them just perish in old age, its about building relationships..even if its not the perfect relationship you have in your mind. its called adapting to survive as a group...a tribe..a extended family...a community etc. etc. etc. just look at venezuela after all the troubles i posted the video showing gardening on commercial scale recently in the ghetto and no one was robbing it blind they were trying to get along.theres some form of togetherness there going on be it from an gang holding back hordes of robbers or just the bulk mass in a given area getting along as a group or tribe for their own survival.

meattrapper has a podcast on patreon that is pretty darn interesting..

are we allowed to hear it or is a members only thing?

patreon is a pay-to-view site

yes..but some patreons after awhile release some of their stuff out into public domain free land for others to hear and or see..to entice them into becoming a patreon...i was just hoping is all on this one thing.

elk is a cheap --- !!...you get the drift...lol

Some people may not be old enough to have participated in the Jimmy Carter inflation days.
I remember being thrilled that I qualified for and got, a low 10.5% mortgage.
Scarcity sets off inflation.
In a capitalist society if there are shortages, the highest bidder gets it.
Supply and demand sets the price.
The Arab oil-embargo ground the economy to a halt (just like covid) and shortages following drove prices in an upward spiral that was impossible to control:
Wikipedia said:
Ford had taken office in August 1974 amidst one of the worst economic crises in US history, marked by high unemployment and inflation rising to 12.3% that year following the 1973 oil crisis.[2] As a Republican, Ford favored the WIN campaign's emphasis on addressing the problem through voluntary actions of citizens, instead of price restrictions imposed centrally by a big government bureaucracy... Whip Inflation Now (WIN) was a 1974 attempt to spur a grassroots movement to combat inflation in the US, by encouraging personal savings and disciplined spending habits in combination with public measures, urged by U.S. President Gerald Ford. The campaign was later described as "one of the biggest government public relations blunders ever".

That stuff went on for years!
Those who do not know history are doomed to repeat it:
512px-_WIN_sign.jpeg

Last edited:
@Supervisor42 yep...fox pelts were bring $70 racoons $40 and my pass book savings earned 8% for a long time. i had little expense and no debt and was young...i spent alot too doing stuff back then...80's were awesome to me...i made great money hourly and had no over time limits. then fall of 89 hit...my train ran out of steam..no raises and no OT !

Hyperinflation.
Gas will lead the way.
Everyone has been loving seeing the $1.69 per gallon gasoline prices for years.
What? Nobody remembers $3.50 per gallon? I do.
What else can you think of that sells for only $1.69 per gallon? Not even drinking-water.
NoDeal.gif

I could post pictures of local abandoned drill-pipe yards with rusting 'For Lease' signs out front but nobody wants to see a coming storm.:rolleyes:
Energy companies have been crapped on for too long. They will come back with a 'get-even' vengance:waiting:
Here, let me have the president explain it for you.
We all just need to make a little sacrifice :(:

Last edited:
I sold fuel during the 60s, 70s and 80s, I remember going to the drive in movie with less than $5 and buying gas on that too. When I started working we sold Diesel for 29 cents a gallon (tax included) and gasoline was less than 50 cents. The first shocks sent people scrambling just to get gas and the price climbed to over 90 cents a gallon, then the second shock came, prices increased so fast they couldn't update the computers (the numbers on the pumps) beyond 99.9 cents, the solution was to put doubler tapes on the wheels. I don't miss working 6-12hr days a week and taking home less than $120 a week. But with inflation, I was soon making $300 a week and had less to show for it. The company I was working for couldn't survive long, as each load of fuel was much more expensive than the fuel they sold to pay for it. Stations switched over to self-service overnight and places that had 9 guys working trimmed back to just 3. It's sad, when things get tough the people least equipped to deal with it get crapped on first....

I sold fuel during the 60s, 70s and 80s, I remember going to the drive in movie with less than $5 and buying gas on that too. When I started working we sold Diesel for 29 cents a gallon (tax included) and gasoline was less than 50 cents. The first shocks sent people scrambling just to get gas and the price climbed to over 90 cents a gallon, then the second shock came, prices increased so fast they couldn't update the computers (the numbers on the pumps) beyond 99.9 cents, the solution was to put doubler tapes on the wheels. I don't miss working 6-12hr days a week and taking home less than $120 a week. But with inflation, I was soon making $300 a week and had less to show for it. The company I was working for couldn't survive long, as each load of fuel was much more expensive than the fuel they sold to pay for it. Stations switched over to self-service overnight and places that had 9 guys working trimmed back to just 3. It's sad, when things get tough the people least equipped to deal with it get crapped on first....
Ah, I am not the only one to remember that.
nod.gif

The prophet Joe Muhammad has declared that covid will be all over 100 days after he is inaugurated, indoctrinated, ordained and everything will go back to normal.
clapslow.gif

When the country floorboards the 'gas-pedal', all they will hear will be a giant 'sucking' sound. :oops:

Ah, I am not the only one to remember that.
The prophet Joe Muhammad has declared that covid will be all over 100 days after he is inaugurated, indoctrinated, ordained and everything will go back to normal.View attachment 55753
When the country floorboards the 'gas-pedal', all they will hear will be a giant 'sucking' sound. :oops:
Yes that great sucking sound, like my 65 idling saying give-me-quart, give-me-quart. Yes it could pass anything but a gas station. ;)

I also remember that during that time the worst in people came out, people stealing gas, I even remember having to put pad locks on the storage tank fillers because people had pumps and tanks in the back of pickups to park over a tank and steal several hundred gallons at a time.

Yes and I beleive that smokin Joe will be just as imunimpressive as the peanut man was. (My personal opinion, Jimmy C is a nice guy, but he was a terrible leader).

I'm betting on covid being over within 500 days, but that doesn't say that the economy won't be on total life support by that time.

1983, 1st mortgage in Milwaukee at 15.3% !!!
Car payment interest similar.

Wages low and in fact I chose to change jobs just after we bought the house as the really great job I had landed in 1982 had to go on a 10% paycut within a year of my starting there. I had been given a 15% raise the month before the paycut company-wide, which they reneged on, so I was out 25% in my mind. I was lucky to land a very good job (different industry completely) within 3 months after the paycut went into effect.
DH and I both remember well all the craziness of getting out of college in 1979 and 1980.

1983, 1st mortgage in Milwaukee at 15.3% !!!
Car payment interest similar.

Wages low and in fact I chose to change jobs just after we bought the house as the really great job I had landed in 1982 had to go on a 10% paycut within a year of my starting there. I had been given a 15% raise the month before the paycut company-wide, which they reneged on, so I was out 25% in my mind. I was lucky to land a very good job (different industry completely) within 3 months after the paycut went into effect.
DH and I both remember well all the craziness of getting out of college in 1979 and 1980.
Yes. Most people would never believe the shape the 'real' economy is in.
Imagine if the trillion$ in stimulus and relief money had not been constantly pumped into the economy since February.
We would be (and actually are) in a recession far greater than the ones in the past (the 80's or 2008-2012).
...We just haven't gotten the memo yet :(.

The country has been running only on 'battery-power' since March... and they will run down soon.
People will rat-hole a check when they get scared and not spend it.
Joe don't know how to work jumper-cables, and you can't fly airliners on solar or wind-power.:mad:
Edit: And just ask Venezuela what happens to a country that tries to print enough money to make it out of a recession:
gutter.jpg

I think they are now the dictionary definition of 'hyper-inflation'.

Last edited:
That $600 check doesn't go very far for people with thousands due on their rent. And the owner of the rental may have made over the limit to get free money if he made money in 2018. Husband and I were both working full time in 2018, so no money for us, even though now we are retired and making nothing.
Our country was in financial ruin before Covid. It's just in your face apparent, now.
I am not for a govt that keeps people at home and gives them money. But I'm really not for state governors who make people stay at home and not be able to work.

I am not for a govt that keeps people at home and gives them money. But I'm really not for state governors who make people stay at home and not be able to work.
The state and fed are going to have their hands full just trying to keep people fed, and to find a place for homeless families to live that have lost their house, and to keep them from pillaging working people to try to make ends meet.

Latest posts

Back