Economics,Hyperinflation and more

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I've told the hubby if you need it or will need it in the future get it now. Get the order in now

I've been telling people they better step it up and get things now and not wait
Yes, WVDragonlady....I've been feeling that same urgency to get things ordered, paid for, and HOME! I'm still working on a couple of purchases that should be completed by this week or next. We are then onto yet another project. I have 3 projects going on at one time now! I just don't have the patience to sit still and let time go by b/c it feels like the clock is ticking and all these projects take time and research. If nothing happens, at least we will have been super productive this year.

Does anyone else feel like Noah just before the rain started to come down? It's a good thing he didn't have these lumber prices to deal with, eh?

Oh dang Ben.....I didn't need that Glen Beck motivation. I'm already on that train!🚂 Whatever happens or not.....I hope I've done enough. It'll have to be good enough......b/c it's all I've got.

Yep. I feel like Noah. Wishing we could of retired a year earlier than we did. Nine months since we moved to a new to us old farm, and there's so much to do! Of course, getting covid, then shingles, then the polar vortex negative 13 freeze stalled us up a bit. I want a very big greenhouse. I have a small one, and it's a wonderful one, but not big enough. We're talking with our son in Albuquerque about coming down with a coworker of his to put up one that would work here. High winds, propane heat, propane run fans. The quotes were getting for 25 to 30 ft long have gone up because of steel prices. Still, we're working on it. His coworker is a crack up. Does a great job on the greenhouse expansion at work. The man is originally from Laos, and the Chinese came in and burnt down his farm in the 80's. He lived in the jungle/forest area with nothing for 10 yrs. Found a way to get to America through some relief program that came through. He's 74 and still works like a crazy man in the Albuquerque greenhouses. Says he'd like to ride a train here and build a greenhouse and meet some Amish people, so ok.
Also need to get some more animals going. Chickens and turkeys are done, but thinking about rabbits, goats, and sheep. No need for the cows, my cousin has a ton of them. Super glad our add on is done, and the large wooden deck is done. Prices are ridiculous.

ive got a coupe hoop greenhouses made with pvc pipe, rebar stuck int he ground to anchor, greenhouse plastic to cover and its lasted 10 yrs pretty good. and its pretty windy here. ive got one medium size and the other is larger. the smaller one is easier to handle fo r me.

i have a housemate that lvoes to garden and he prefers the larger one, but the hoop greenhouse plans free n the internet have worked very good. just a good idea to get a back up for the greenhouse plastic an the good repair tape.

in in Co, aobut 8000ft the weather can be real odd, the root crops do ok, things like cabbage and onions, broccoli, kale do ok but squash, tomatoes, peppers here need the greenhouse.
there are heat sinks you can add like black plastic barrels filled with water that absorb heat in the day and keep the greenhouse a but warmer overnight. but other people have done other things.

your laotian friend in ABQ soiunds like a really neat guy.

We do have a hoop house here in storage. We have not assembled yet and will only if the situation gets bad. We do have plenty of seeds and my wife has plenty of experience growing a garden. We did have one good growing year here at this location where her garden really produced. If the garden becomes more essential then we will use the hoop house. We do have a lot of food in storage.

Last time we bought 1/8 X 4" flatbar (commonly used as yard edging) our price was about $23. Ordered some today @ $42.22/stick!
Also, mills are rationing supplies to vendors. Half of what I ordered won't be in until mid June. Usually if they don't have something it's about a week out.

So here we go again with the food packaging. :mad: I bought some rice a roni long grain wild rice last week b/c it was on sale for $1. The packages seemed smaller when I unpacked them. I checked my other boxes and they were 6.4 oz. The new ones are 4.3 oz. Grrrrrr!!!!!!! Here's just another sign of inflation. I honestly would prefer for them to charge more than to change the product sizes.

We do have a hoop house here in storage. We have not assembled yet and will only if the situation gets bad. We do have plenty of seeds and my wife has plenty of experience growing a garden. We did have one good growing year here at this location where her garden really produced. If the garden becomes more essential then we will use the hoop house. We do have a lot of food in storage.

We started out with a home made hoop house,worked great.Had peanuts,all kinds of greens soil was rich. We went too big though and too far from house so we moved closer to house and smaller. Made it with PVC and Poly.

So here we go again with the food packaging. :mad: I bought some rice a roni long grain wild rice last week b/c it was on sale for $1. The packages seemed smaller when I unpacked them. I checked my other boxes and they were 6.4 oz. The new ones are 4.3 oz. Grrrrrr!!!!!!! Here's just another sign of inflation. I honestly would prefer for them to charge more than to change the product sizes.
I don't believe our government counts that as inflation. They hardly count anything as inflation.

Yes it is the frog in the pot, slowly turn up the heat and if they (we) don't notice they get cooked...
I think we need to be planing very carefully to cover our needs.... while we can still afford them.

I don't believe our government counts that as inflation. They hardly count anything as inflation.
It's called "stealth-flation".
If you change a product to a lower weight, it morphs into a 'new product' with no price history.
Also, when the previous package drops out of production, there is no way to track a 'price increase' onward.
Pretty Krafty, huh? ;)
It's been done for years.
Watch closely... the fingers never leave the hand!
Before:
dc0246e40076e47c0fb2745f7eebe3bf_large.png

After: (the 'new one')
GUEST_ca08c27a-eb4b-43ad-951e-96493975b781

You were trying to lose 'weight', right?🤣
We made over 14% vanish, just to help you out! :D

Last edited:
It's called "stealth-flation".
If you change a product to a lower weight, it morphs into a 'new product' with no price history.
Also, when the previous package drops out of production, there is no way to track a 'price increase' onward.
Pretty Krafty, huh? ;)
It's been done for years.
Watch closely... the fingers never leave the hand!
Before:
dc0246e40076e47c0fb2745f7eebe3bf_large.png

After: (the 'new one')
GUEST_ca08c27a-eb4b-43ad-951e-96493975b781

You were trying to lose 'weight', right?🤣
Agreed

When was the last time you sat down to eat a half gallon of ice cream that was actually a half gallon?

Ben

Agreed

When was the last time you sat down to eat a half gallon of ice cream that was actually a half gallon?

Ben
I was pist when a pound of hot-dogs became 14 ounces.
I had to go thru and change all of my textbooks
brickwall100.gif
And I didn't have the heart to explain to my wife that my wiener had gotten smaller:cry:.

Latest posts

Back