Quantcast

Eddie Van Halen dead at 65 of cancer, son says Oct 6, 2020

Help Support Homesteading Forum:

CrackbottomLouis

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Jump was the first song I ever listened to on headphones. A Walkman no less. On the way to scout camp. Think I was in 4th or 5th grade. Being able to shut out the world and zone out to music while surrounded by people was a life changing experience for me. RIP Eddie. You will be missed.

Mr.Meer

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Oct 7, 2020

Rock Legends Gene Simmons and Ozzy Osbourne React to Eddie Van Halen's Sudden Death (Exclusive)

ET exclusively spoke with both Gene Simmons and Ozzy Osbourne about the death of rock legend Eddie Van Halen.

Mr.Meer

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
10-7-2020

What Fans Didn't Know About Eddie Van Halen

The electric guitar is the definitive instrument of rock 'n' roll, and Eddie Van Halen is one of the few players who can claim to be among the greatest of all time. This is the untold truth of Eddie Van Halen. Van Halen was the biggest hard rock band since KISS. According to Edward Van Halen: A Definitive Biography, KISS co-leader Gene Simmons was scouting talent for Casablanca Records in 1976 when he discovered Van Halen playing a show in West Hollywood. Simmons liked the group and booked them some studio time to record demos of 12 songs, and then flew the guys to New York City for overdubs at Jimi Hendrix's Electric Lady Studios and to play at a showcase for KISS' manager, Bill Aucoin. He declined to take on Van Halen as clients, but after the band returned to California, Simmons recruited Eddie Van Halen and his brother, drummer Alex Van Halen, to demo songs for the next KISS album, Love Gun. When KISS' actual guitarist Ace Frehley was tasked with recording the song "Christine Sixteen," his solo was a note-by-note re-creation of Eddie Van Halen's attempt. A few years later, around 1982, Eddie was so tired of clashing with singer David Lee Roth that he attempted to join KISS, who were then in the process of splitting with guitarist Ace Frehley. Simmons told Guitar World: "Eddie said, 'I want to join KISS. I don't want to fight anymore with Roth.' I told him, 'Eddie, there's not enough room. You need to be in a band where you can direct the music.'" Watch the video to learn What Fans Didn't Know About Eddie Van Halen.

Mr.Meer

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Eddie started off as a drummer and his brother Alex played guitar. They figured out they were both much better on the other. Alex is a top flight drummer in his own right. Every bit as good as Eddie on guitar.
Seems like I had heard something about that. It was like that in my family too, 7 of us and of the 5 boys we traded back and forth, to see who done what the best.
I tried each instrument, but always loved the guitar best. :)

Last edited:

Mr.Meer

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Oct 7, 2020

Never Seen Footage Eddie Van Halen Behind Scene Photo Shoot Christopher Ameruoso

Still can't believe he's gone. 🙁 I thought I would share a little video I put together from my shoot with Eddie Van Halen for my 'Shades of Elvis' tribute book. A true highlight of my career. Thank you Janie Van Halen and thank you to my wife Daniela Ameruoso for capturing some of the magic that day with this video. I believe this loss is hitting millions of us really hard because our reality is that Van Halen represents a better time in all of our lives. It was the background music for our youth and carefree lives. We all seem to try and hold on-to that any way we can. Now that Eddie is gone a huge part of our lives is gone that we can never go back to. I look at it like a 6 string guitar that now has 4 broken strings and 2 left are out of tune. Very sad days

Mr.Meer

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Oct 13, 2020

The Truth About Eddie Van Halen's Beat It Guitar Solo

You probably can't tell, but Michael Jackson's infectious "Beat It" was his first-ever attempt at a rock song. But, the King of Pop's ode to street life might have never charted at #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 if it wasn't for the memorable work of hard rock guitarist Eddie Van Halen. In 1982, the anti-disco movement was strong, so Jackson and his producer Quincy Jones were looking for something that would give him a harder edge and set his next record apart. Jones tasked him with penning a rock song in the mold of The Knack's mega-hit "My Sharona" for his upcoming album Thriller. Who might you enlist if you're a legendary pop superstar dipping your toe in the rock genre? For Michael Jackson, it was none other than legendary guitarist Eddie Van Halen. Eddie Van Halen's iconic guitar riff is now known as the centerpiece of "Beat It," but when Quincy Jones approached Van Halen to record on the track, he thought it was a joke. According to Stereogum, Eddie Van Halen reportedly hung up on and cursed at Quincy Jones four times before realizing it wasn't a prank call. While Eddie Van Halen usually avoided taking any side gigs while working with his band Van Halen, he agreed to the collaboration, but he had two rules: Van Halen wouldn't be credited, and Jackson wouldn't tell the rest of his bandmates. As Thriller and its hit "Beat It" climbed the charts, Eddie Van Halen was shocked to see it outpace his band's own album, 1984. Van Halen later told CNN in 2012, "I said to myself, 'Who is going to know that I played on this kid's record, right? Nobody's going to find out.' Wrong! Big-time wrong. It ended up being Record of the Year."Then, Eddie Van Halen found himself perusing a Tower Records store in Sherman Oaks, Los Angeles when "Beat It" came on over the stereo. Some nearby customers mused that the song's guitar solo sounded almost exactly like the playing of Van Halen himself. He reportedly tapped the record store kids on the shoulder and fessed up that it was him. Naturally, his bandmates caught wind of Eddie's contribution — even if he went uncredited on the album. He offered his Van Halen bandmates a few excuses for his pop interlude: "I just said, 'You know... Busted!' 'Dave, you were out of the country!' 'Al, you weren't around!' I couldn't call anyone and ask for permission." Van Halen's street cred was safe. His bandmates let it pass, but not without first razzing him about one huge mistake: turns out, Eddie Van Halen had never asked to be paid for what was now the number one song in the United States. He had agreed, in the end, to play on the track, perform a guitar solo, and rework the arrangement for the entire track! While Eddie Van Halen's 20-second guitar solo on "Beat It" seems to transcend all space and time, in fact, it only took the legend half an hour to record. Of course, not without rearranging the entire song first. According to CNN, Quincy Jones had told Van Halen to do, quote, "Whatever you want to do."After an initial listen to the rough track, Van Halen chopped different sections of the chorus and reworked the middle of the song, and then promptly recorded two masterful, blazing guitar solos on top. Instead of thinking Van Halen had butchered his new track, Michael Jackson was grateful for the contribution. Van Halen recalled to CNN that Jackson told him he made the song that much better. Eddie Van Halen's hand in the crossover hit soon took on a mythic quality. In the final cut of the track, you can hear a knocking sound right before Van Halen's guitar solo shreds through. As Stereogum points out, many fans attributed the knock to Eddie Van Halen, possibly drunk and impatient to be let into the recording studio. But that part of the legend is supposedly just legend.

angie_nrs

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
One of my favorite 90's movies was Twister. Shine On was in the middle of the movie while they were chasing a Twister......yeah, it's Van Hagar. LOL! I loved both Sammy and David Lee as lead singers. Both put out some kick arse albums!

Shine On....check out Eddies hair!

And here is the beautifully, somewhat eerie, melodic song at the end of the film that I always LOVED. I don't think he got enough credit for this song.....

They just don't make music like this anymore.:( That dude could get sounds out of a guitar that nobody else could.:heart:

Last edited:

Bacpacker

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Both singers fit with the band when they were there. Dave was the showman and really helped get the band to its heights.. But his vocals just sucked compared to Sammy. Even now days Sammy still sounds like he always has.
I never got to see them live. Had to be a good show either way.

Latest posts