EDGE

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With IE, you can fill the screen with icons. Chrome allows 10 icons on the desktop. Otherwise you have to look through every site you have ever saved.

With IE, you can fill the screen with icons. Chrome allows 10 icons on the desktop. Otherwise you have to look through every site you have ever saved.
Firefox works just like Chrome, only you can "fill the screen". I think there's space for 20 icons. It looks exactly like that picture I shared.

I'm not gonna tell you how to use your own computer, but it sounds like you're going about it the hard way. It's just when I see somebody say they're using one of the worst web browsers ever made (and on its deathbed) because they like the bookmarks... I feel compelled to share what I know.

Modern browsers can use folders for your bookmarks (favorites), they don't have to be just one long list anymore.

They also have a Bookmark Toolbar that's always visible just below the URL bar, and a Bookmark Menu that is a drop-down from the top of the window, next to File, Edit, Help, etc....

I put my common visited sites in the 'toolbar'. In the toolbar I have folders to categorize my stuff by broad topics. Like I have a 'Automotive' folder for all my vehicle related sites. Generic car stuff goes in that folder. Inside 'Automotive' I have a folder for each model I own, so I can keep model specific stuff separated. I have several dozen bookmarks for just car stuff. I'd say overall I have over 200 bookmarks, and I know where to find each of them because of my organization method.

Not enough room on the toolbar for the 30-40 sites I visit daily, including several that I run. IE gives quick access without searching, and it still works fine as long as you don't use it to watch videos. Firefox is owned by Google and sucks just as bad.

100% wrong.
Chrome is the Google product.
Firefox is owned by Mozilla.
IE and Edge are both Microsoft, as you probably know.
But go look. Google controls Firefox.

Mozilla essentially owns Firefox, and it proved so when it flexed its muscles last year in forcing Debian to rename its browser IceWeasel. However, the open secret in the tech sector is that at the end of the day, Google calls the shots. ... Fact: $56 million of the $66 million that Mozilla made came from Google.

But go look. Google controls Firefox.

Mozilla essentially owns Firefox, and it proved so when it flexed its muscles last year in forcing Debian to rename its browser IceWeasel. However, the open secret in the tech sector is that at the end of the day, Google calls the shots. ... Fact: $56 million of the $66 million that Mozilla made came from Google.
I disagree. Mozilla can't give away the Firefox browser for free, for years, and stay in business.
It's a wonderful concept that everything should be free, but that doesn't work.
Notice the ad at the top of this forum's page is a google ad.
Do you think they control this site? Not hardly.
Firefox either.
Google Chrome, yes. They own it. They can make it do (or not do) whatever they want.
The internet is not free. But Google does not own us.

Rusty, I like you, must navigate from one forum to another, and yes, I use to use Chrome. Since flipping to Firefox, I have all my forums in the bookmark toolbar. Even if you fill the visible bookmarks, simply clicking on the arrow on the right, it shows the remaining favorites. I also use the import tab as its own favorite, and this contains another 40+ sites on their drop down box. I find by renaming the sites to simple initials, such as HRT rather than HouseRepairTalk(dot)com, i utilize a smaller amount of room, allowing me to fill the toolbar so everything is there at my fingertips.

The Chrome browser came from an open source product named Chromium. It can still be found in the repositories of Linux software. Chrome pays for their sales of the software to the open source community. That is how open source works. It is free to use and you can modify it for your own use without cost but if you decide to market it you pay a licensing fee. I love open source software.

Latest posts

Back