Edible flowers...79 of them..

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VenomJockey

Ancient AH Pilot, Retired CWO W4.
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Ever think about eating the flowers?

http://www.askaprepper.com/edible-flowers-north-america/

Excerpt: "You’ll be totally surprised to find out that many of the flowers that you have around your house are not only beautiful but very tasty. Flowers are an untapped source of nutrients that have been used for centuries in kitchens around the world. I’ve compiled the longest list of edible flowers on the Internet, so make sure you bookmark this page."

Good info. Angelica also known as Queen Ann's Lace, is often mistaken for water hemlock, having very serious consequences. Unless you're absolutely certain on that one, don't touch.
The comments also have useful info.
autocorrect changed Angelica to Angelina. It is Angelica.

Last edited:
Ever think about eating the flowers?

http://www.askaprepper.com/edible-flowers-north-america/

Excerpt: "You’ll be totally surprised to find out that many of the flowers that you have around your house are not only beautiful but very tasty. Flowers are an untapped source of nutrients that have been used for centuries in kitchens around the world. I’ve compiled the longest list of edible flowers on the Internet, so make sure you bookmark this page."

Tagged and bagged for later review. Thanks VJ.

Good info and I miss both you guys hope to see you soon.:huggs:

Edible Wildflowers from Seed
https://laidbackgardener.blog/2022/03/20/gow-a-garden-of-edible-flowers-from-seed/
There are thousands of species of edible flowers, but here are 30 that are particularly easy to grow from seed as wildflowers and can easily share a space in the same garden.
Agastache foeniculum (anise hyssop) perennial, hardiness zones 4–8
Alcea rosea (hollyhock) perennial, hardiness zones 2–10

Edible Wildflowers from Seed
https://laidbackgardener.blog/2022/03/20/gow-a-garden-of-edible-flowers-from-seed/
There are thousands of species of edible flowers, but here are 30 that are particularly easy to grow from seed as wildflowers and can easily share a space in the same garden.
Agastache foeniculum (anise hyssop) perennial, hardiness zones 4–8
Alcea rosea (hollyhock) perennial, hardiness zones 2–10

Well isn't that great? I have been trying to get dandelions out of my lawn for thirty five years, and now they are a good thing? :dunno:

Seriously, great article. Thanks for sharing.

IA few years back I read an article that mentioned that the Romans ate violets and they were also used in making wine. I knew where some wild violets were growing at the local high school grounds around the base of some large trees, I happen to check on them when they were blooming, what a delightful smell and when I chewed on them I couldn't believe how good they tasted, they would really make a salad taste better. I need to go and pick some and start them on our property.

Well isn't that great? I have been trying to get dandelions out of my lawn for thirty five years, and now they are a good thing? :dunno:

Seriously, great article. Thanks for sharing.

We were just talking about finding dandelion seeds so we could have them in our yard! Or, pasture to be more accurate. I don't know that they will grow here but we are willing to try.

Nasturtium: An Edible Flower With a Bite​

As a long-time wild-foods enthusiast, I’ve collected edible plants in all sorts of unlikely spots. But, I’d never harvested food from a flower garden until a family friend introduced me to the attractive yellow orange blossoms and round leaves of the common nasturtium (Tropaeolum majus). After being assured (and reassured) that the plant was both edible and tasty, I chomped down on a long, succulent stem. The flavor was initially sweet, but as I continued to chew, it became hot and peppery like a radish. “Wow!” I thought, my eyes watering and my sinuses opened wide. “That’s good!”
https://www.motherearthnews.com/rea...utm_type=Editorial&oly_enc_id=7809H2414078F3L

Foraging for Redbud’s Flavorful Flowers​

Where to Find Redbud Trees​

Different species of redbud grow in different parts of the world, each with edible blossoms. In eastern North America, look for Cercis canadensis; in California and other western states, look for C. occidentalis; and around the Mediterranean and some parts of Asia you’ll find C. siliquastrum.

Pickled Redbud Recipe

Use these piquant and colorful pickles instead of capers in any recipe that calls for the latter. The texture of these pickled redbud blossoms is best if you collect the flower buds before they have fully opened.

Ingredients

• Redbud blossoms
• White wine or distilled vinegar
• Water
• Kosher or other non-iodized salt

Instructions

1. Rinse the flower clusters under cold water. Pinch off and discard the stems.

2. Combine equal parts white vinegar and water. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt per cup of brine and stir to dissolve. Plan on an equal amount of brine by volume for the quantity of redbud buds that you have gathered. In other words, one cup of brine per cup of flowers.

3. Fill a clean jar with the redbud blossoms, then cover them with the brine. Make sure the jar is completely full, then simply screw on the lid to keep the blossoms submerged under the brine. Some brine will leak out when you do so: that’s okay. Place the jar on a small plate and leave at room temperature for three days, away from direct sunlight which could discolor the flowers. Be sure to unscrew the lid to release pressure a few times a day.

4. Transfer the jar to the refrigerator. Don’t expose pickled redbud blossoms to heat or their texture and color will diminish (no boiling water bath canning for these).

Leda Meredith is the author of Northeast Foraging: 120 Wild and Flavorful Edibles from Beach Plums to Wineberries. You can watch herforaging and food preservation videos, and follow her food adventures at Leda’s Urban Homestead. Her latest book is Preserving Everything: Can, Culture, Pickle, Freeze, Ferment, Dehydrate, Salt, Smoke…and More.

https://www.motherearthnews.com/rea...utm_type=Editorial&oly_enc_id=7809H2414078F3L

Recipes for Cooking with Edible Flowers​

Including recipes for Nasturtium Balsamic Chicken, Beans with Flower Confetti, and Violet Coconut​

Here are all the edible flowers that I use in cooking for my family and friends. I’ve divided them out by where you are likely to find them in your gardens and on your property. Go to Bouquet Banquet‘s listing for details on each type of edible flower, including its Latin name (important for safe identification), information on taste, and suggested uses in the kitchen.

Edible Flowers List​

Vegetable gardens:​

Latest posts

Back