Egg in Microwave

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought one of these things and it makes perfect hard boiled eggs that peel oh so easily:

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DDXYC6O/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You do have to experiment with it initially, to find the correct amount of water to add (the cooking time depends on the amount of water you put into the device and on your elevation). In my case, the perfect result is to fill the little measuring cup they give you right to the brim, to where you couldn't get any more water in it if you tried. Dump that water into the cooker then put six cold eggs - straight from the refrigerator - into it and start it up. When the chime goes off, immediately take the eggs out and put them in a bath of cold water (this stops further cooking). Tap water from the sink works fine for me, because our tap water in Colorado comes out really cold. The amount of water you measure into the device will vary depending on your altitude, how well done you like your eggs, how many eggs you cook at a time, if your eggs are warm or cold to start with, etc. But after a few initial experiments, you'll have it down so the results are exactly what you want and are repeatable. The thing is really small and cute, maybe 6 inches in diameter. You can of course make medium boiled or soft boiled eggs too - just use less water (more experimentation will be required to learn the precise amount you need).

[edit]
p.s. - When doing your testing, start out at the high end - using more rather than less water. Then back down on the water amount as needed for your tastes. If you start out at the low end of water, you will probably end up with a couple of the first tests yielding way undercooked eggs, with runny whites. Yeuch. If you start at the high end, you could possibly overcook an egg (unlikely), but an overcooked egg is still edible. If you start out low, a wiggly glob of slime from an undercooked egg is not quite so edible.
[/edit]

Last edited:
I've never cooked eggs in a microwave unless they were part of a frozen breakfast.

I saw a gimic ad on tv about some little device to cook hard boiled eggs in the microwave. I could use something like that.
I bought one of these things and it makes perfect hard boiled eggs that peel oh so easily:
Yep. Don't be me. I read years ago that if you poke a hole in the end of each egg, they will boil just fine in a microwave. :thumbs:
Also found out what happens when you put too many atoms of uranium close together in a reactor: chain-reaction.
Blew the door open on the microwave!:oops:
Lesson learned: Don't be that lazy and put eggs in the shell in a microwave. They can go nuclear.:blow up:

Lesson learned: Don't be that lazy and put eggs in the shell in a microwave. They can go nuclear.
On a related note, don't cook a whole spaghetti squash in the oven (cut it in half first). They behave much like an egg in the microwave. Except my squash waited until I stuck it with a fork to see if it was done before it covered me, the oven, and basically the entire kitchen with spaghetti.

On a related note, don't cook a whole spaghetti squash in the oven (cut it in half first). They behave much like an egg in the microwave. Except my squash waited until I stuck it with a fork to see if it was done before it covered me, the oven, and basically the entire kitchen with spaghetti.
I wonder what would happen if you poked some holes in it before you cooked it? It seems it would not be as likely to explode.

I wonder what would happen if you poked some holes in it before you cooked it? It seems it would not be as likely to explode.
That is still too much for me.
The MIL has a plastic cover for things cooking in the microwave.
I hate to agree with her, but if you have a good powerful microwave, don't run anything in it on full power without the "blast-shield" in place.
A paper-towel don't work.
Even small stuff can paint the entire interior of the microwave.:oops:
Been there, got spanked, and cleaned that. :(
If we cook hardboiled eggs, there is a small pot on the stove eye.
It just ain't that hard folks, I've even seen me do it! :thumbs:

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DDXYC6O/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You do have to experiment with it initially, to find the correct amount of water to add (the cooking time depends on the amount of water you put into the device and on your elevation). In my case, the perfect result is to fill the little measuring cup they give you right to the brim, to where you couldn't get any more water in it if you tried. Dump that water into the cooker then put six cold eggs - straight from the refrigerator - into it and start it up. When the chime goes off, immediately take the eggs out and put them in a bath of cold water (this stops further cooking). Tap water from the sink works fine for me, because our tap water in Colorado comes out really cold. The amount of water you measure into the device will vary depending on your altitude, how well done you like your eggs, how many eggs you cook at a time, if your eggs are warm or cold to start with, etc. But after a few initial experiments, you'll have it down so the results are exactly what you want and are repeatable. The thing is really small and cute, maybe 6 inches in diameter. You can of course make medium boiled or soft boiled eggs too - just use less water (more experimentation will be required to learn the precise amount you need).

[edit]
p.s. - When doing your testing, start out at the high end - using more rather than less water. Then back down on the water amount as needed for your tastes. If you start out at the low end of water, you will probably end up with a couple of the first tests yielding way undercooked eggs, with runny whites. Yeuch. If you start at the high end, you could possibly overcook an egg (unlikely), but an overcooked egg is still edible. If you start out low, a wiggly glob of slime from an undercooked egg is not quite so edible.
[/edit]
I read the reviews on Amazon for it. They’re really good reviews but does it really make the sound of a banshee when it’s done?

They’re really good reviews but does it really make the sound of a banshee when it’s done?
Check the date of the reviews. I think the original model was the screecher. The newer ones don't do that. Mine plays a little musical jingle when it's done. Not annoying at all. But it does keep playing, over and over, until you go press the button to turn it off. The heating element turns itself off automatically when the water is all gone and the cooking has completed (which is when the alarm starts to play). So it's safe and there's no heating while the musical alarm is playing. But that alarm does not auto-shutoff in my experience.

That is still too much for me.
The MIL has a plastic cover for things cooking in the microwave.
I hate to agree with her, but if you have a good powerful microwave, don't run anything in it on full power without the "blast-shield" in place.
A paper-towel don't work.
Even small stuff can paint the entire interior of the microwave.:oops:
Been there, got spanked, and cleaned that. :(
If we cook hardboiled eggs, there is a small pot on the stove eye.
It just ain't that hard folks, I've even seen me do it! :thumbs:

I have about 3 plastic "duvets" with holes in them that I use when I nuke something in the microwave.

From college days and periods of being a single guy.... I learned if you faithfully use a plate cover in the micro wave, you only have to clean the walls and top once a year or so..

We have a plastic clam shell thing to cook eggs in that works kind of OK, but not the greatest...

[edit]
[/edit]

Thanks! Ordered!

haertig said:
I bought one of these things and it makes perfect hard boiled eggs that peel oh so easily
Thanks! Ordered!
A few more tips on using the device: If you have hard water, mineral deposits will be left on the stainless steel plate of the cooker after all the water has evaporated. Using distilled water greatly reduces this in my case. What little mineral deposits that do appear, I just normally scrape off with my fingernail. If you don't want to do that, just a little bit of vinegar on a paper towel will rub them off nicely.

The water measuring cup comes with a little metal pin on the bottom for piercing a hole in the egg. This is supposed to make them peel easier and keep them from cracking. I found that poking the hole made zero difference, so I don't do that, I just put the eggs in unpierced. I will occasionally have an egg crack while cooking. Maybe one out of every four dozen. I don't care about this, and just eat that egg immediately after cooking. Would piercing the eggs stop this infrequent cracking? I don't know. It's rare enough that I haven't bothered to test, since I don't care.

Leaving the eggs in the cooker after it has shut itself off and dinged it's alarm - they will continue cooking. So if you want your eggs even more done than the max amount of water will yield, just leave them sitting in the cooker after it has shut off for a minute or two. For me, my perfect eggs are when I go straight from the cooker to the cold water bath within a few seconds of the alarm going off. Things are hot and steamy on your hand with you pick up the eggs with their little handle immediately after shutoff, so have your cold water bath right next to the cooker and move fast. Or use a pot holder to keep you hand away from the steam. I don't think it's "burn you" level of hot, but it's definitely "uncomfortable" level of hot.

A few more tips on using the device: If you have hard water, mineral deposits will be left on the stainless steel plate of the cooker after all the water has evaporated. Using distilled water greatly reduces this in my case. What little mineral deposits that do appear, I just normally scrape off with my fingernail. If you don't want to do that, just a little bit of vinegar on a paper towel will rub them off nicely.
Wonder if it would be ok to put a little vinegar in the cooking water like you do with your canner?

This may be old news to some, but it is new to me. I love breakfast. This is very easy. I see using this technique with fried green tomatoes, Canadian bacon and English muffin. And to satisfy my spicy side, maybe some Jalapeno grits.

I have wanted to find a way to make Eggs Benedict, and this looks like the perfect solution. :great: I will report back on how it turns out. Thanks for sharing.

Not something I would do, I would boil six eggs, start with hot water on the stove.

News to me too, and I’ll have to give it a try. Poached eggs are trickier on the stovetop at elevation. Doable, but trickier.

Latest posts

Back