Egg Substitutes

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Some of you have chickens, and maybe will never be without eggs, but who knows?

Egg substitutes.JPG

I've used applesauce before so there were no eggs needed. Works well. Or the muffin recipe....one box of cake mix and a can of pumpkin. That works well with spice cake mix or yellow.
There's a recipe I have somewhere, a depression era cake that doesn't use eggs either.

Some of you have chickens, and maybe will never be without eggs, but who knows?

View attachment 102890
Well, I'm no help 🤨.
I never got past step one when they mentioned mixing baking soda with vinegar in the first one.
Memories from the past of the fun we had as kids mixing those 2, came flooding back so I thought it was a joke.

Well, I'm no help 🤨.
I never got past step one when they mentioned mixing baking soda with vinegar in the first one.
Memories from the past of the fun we had as kids mixing those 2, came flooding back so I thought it was a joke.
I thought of that as well. We were not allowed to use chemicals that mimicked a real volcanic eruption when I was teaching, so it was baking soda and vinegar. It was boring in comparison!

But what I wondered about using the two as an egg substitute was if the baking soda could be mixed in with flour and other dry ingredients, while the vinegar could be mixed with the liquids.

Yep. Volcano time
He he! 😀 For us it was more like: "Hey, you wanna see a 2-liter plastic bottle explode?"
2 cups of vinegar, a bunch of baking soda, screw the metal cap on real quick, shake-shake-shake, and put on the ground, step away quick.
One didn't explode so my brother kicked it...
BOOM! and he was covered head to toe with white stuff.:LOL:We laughed so hard we couldn't breathe!
Ok. Back on topic:). Amazon:
Screenshot_20230118-215030.png

I have used 7-Up as a substitute for eggs in a cake recipe, but if we are talking about SHTF if there were no eggs there probably wouldn't be any 7-Up either.

I do not have powdered eggs in my long term storage preps, so that would be a good addition. Any idea what the shelf life is?

There are several eggless cake recipes on the King Arthur site.

https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/spicy-cake-pan-cake-recipe
https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/vanilla-cake-pan-cake-recipe
https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/king-arthurs-original-cake-pan-cake-recipe
https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/gluten-free-cake-pan-cake-recipe
https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/gluten-free-vanilla-cake-pan-cake- recipe
OOPS, I didn't read the gluten free recipes carefully, they do have eggs. Sorry!

Last edited:
I have used 7-Up as a substitute for eggs in a cake recipe, but if we are talking about SHTF if there were no eggs there probably wouldn't be any 7-Up either.

I do not have powdered eggs in my long term storage preps, so that would be a good addition. Any idea what the shelf life is?
I have no idea about the shelf life. I wonder that as well.
I agree about needing something and 7-Up might be something that could be in our preps for when people are not feeling well. I do think that Coca-Cola can be used in the same way.

I have long known that powdered eggs were not good when eaten as eggs, such as powdered scrambled eggs. Probably many former Boy Scouts who can attest to how nasty they are.

As I said above, eggs have been on my mind to get for my storage, but I have been hesitant to buy any. I know I should have several cans or containers of them now.

Many years ago, there was a taste test done on powdered milk varieties. I wonder if anyone has done any sort of test to determine which eggs are better?

We used to babysit a kid who was allergic to eggs and had great luck using ground flaxseed as an egg replacement. Unfortunately it goes rancid, even in the fridge, after a couple of years so it's not the best SHTF solution. I've always wondered about freeze drying it if it would last longer on the shelf.
I keep flax in the freezer. I suppose that no matter where I keep it, it will only be good for a certain period of time.

@Cabin Fever we have some stored powdered eggs that I hate to "open" as they are from Emergency Essentials and now are sky-high in price. Do you like the "flax substitute" in yeast breads and layer cakes?
We haven't made a cake in four years. The WW bread we make does not contain any eggs or egg substitutes. We primarily use the egg substitute in pancakes, corn bread, muffins, and waffles.

I am freeze drying eggs both cooked and uncooked. I need to check on life span but I can do six dozen at a time. Too bad people aren't closer I could trade some natural chicken feed for freeze dried eggs.
I have eaten powdered eggs in the military and it was food. Which is kind of my attitude now, when times get short that protein will be just fine in whatever form it comes in.

There is no reason for eggs to cost so much! The commies need to cut the crap out!!
It's only the consumer resurrecting the TP phenomena. :(
We had a full dozen less than a week old (which will last us 3-4 weeks) and DW picked up another dozen just because she could, and they were cheap.
...Fortunately they can't be hoarded like TP.:rolleyes:

It's only the consumer resurrecting the TP phenomena. :(
We had a full dozen less than a week old (which will last us 3-4 weeks) and DW picked up another dozen just because she could, and they were cheap.
...Fortunately they can't be hoarded like TP.:rolleyes:
No, they cannot be hoarded like TP, but they can be used before they get too old. I get why your wife bought them, but you are correct, in that the "shortage" is creating a shortage by psychological aspects of not wanting to be without.

I have heard that this is related to the bird flu that took out many chickens a while back. True or not, I don't know.
True... kinda.
The bird flu has been around for decades wiping out flocks of birds, some years worse than others.
The only difference is the giant magnifying glass over it today. :mad:

True... kinda.
The bird flu has been around for decades wiping out flocks of birds, some years worse than others.
The only difference is the giant magnifying glass over it today. :mad:
Yes very true.

The worm turns as we see an increased focus on viruses threats and is analogous with the hype following 3 mie island and then Chernobyl.

In order to pursue a quest for for zero carbon world nukes are looking good.

Agreed the bird flu was a factor but the psychology of the markets was another major factor.

Ben

I was just asked yesterday if I'd sell some year old laying hens...a dozen or so of them. Nope. But I will sell chicks at $3 a piece. Laying hens are going for $20 a piece at the fowl sale. Crazy. They used to go for $5. There are three amish ladies around here that'll sell to locals at $2.50 a dozen. If it's your turn to host church, you'll need 8 dz hard boiled eggs to blend in with the bologna spread for sandwiches.
Our chickens are picking up laying. I think next week will be cold again, like in the teens, but when the weather straightens out a bit, I'll start pulling eggs for the incubator for more chicks.

The latest vax crap is that it is going into hatching eggs and meat chick's. A clean flock is is going to mean not bringing in any outside bloodlines from hatchery produced sources. I am not going to provide links, but it is out there to be found.

On the subject of dehydrated powdered eggs, I am drowning in the stuff. I must have around 40 doz so far plus 20 doz frozen.

I bought a ninja twister blender and it powders the eggs very fine. I was using the kitchen aide grinder attachment, but it was slow and a pain to clean and I was grinding too much egg powder at times.

When reconstituted, there is no graininess at all. Although the cooked scrambled eggs are not like fresh, I am getting some reasonably edable results.

The latest vax crap is that it is going into hatching eggs and meat chick's. A clean flock is is going to mean not bringing in any outside bloodlines from hatchery produced sources. I am not going to provide links, but it is out there to be found.

On the subject of dehydrated powdered eggs, I am drowning in the stuff. I must have around 40 doz so far plus 20 doz frozen.

I bought a ninja twister blender and it powders the eggs very fine. I was using the kitchen aide grinder attachment, but it was slow and a pain to clean and I was grinding too much egg powder at times.

When reconstituted, there is no graininess at all. Although the cooked scrambled eggs are not like fresh, I am getting some reasonably edable results.
We could have known that they will get it into most people, one way or another.

Latest posts

Back