Egging the snake on ...

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrannyG

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Hubby is egging the snake on today....snake is getting the eggs....so he takes a fish hook and ties it with fishing line...then an egg and a piece of bread....he makes a tiny hole in the egg shell, inserts the fish hook , and glues it shut with a tiny wad of bread and spit....LOL...let it dry and put it in the nest....he has caught a snake this way......

Snek Flag.jpg

My hunny likes to catch snakes with the fish hook glued to an egg too. We found out they know the difference between those ceramic eggs you but at the feed store and the real ones. The snake will swallow the egg and gets caught. He has caught many a snakes this way.

Well don't kill too many or we will be over run with rats, and other varmits.

We usually run trow them in the woods, if they come back then they get taken care of. We fixed the pens where nest are to where they can't get in over,under or through anywhere. It was hard work and expensive but it will last a life tine. Ours free range all day so not in pen long.

Snake fishing, very interesting.
OK, speaking of snake fishing, here's how I catch snakes.

Buy a $10 minnow trap like what's pictured below. Put your bait in it. The snakes go in for the bait but can't figure out how to get back out the small hole it came in through. If you use an egg for bait, the snake will be too fat to go back through the hole anyway.

The snake is alive. Do with it as you please.

SBMT-2369C.jpg

OK, speaking of snake fishing, here's how I catch snakes.

Buy a $10 minnow trap like what's pictured below. Put your bait in it. The snakes go in for the bait but can't figure out how to get back out the small hole it came in through. If you use an egg for bait, the snake will be too fat to go back through the hole anyway.

The snake is alive. Do with it as you please.

SBMT-2369C.jpg

I like that one.

I put golf balls in my nesting boxes. If the snake swallows the ball, it is irritated because it can't break the ball, vomit it out or poop it out. It also cannot pass through openings in the chicken wire. Same with the fishing hook in the egg. They can't get away and get very, very irritated so you have to be prepared to remove an angry snake from your coop. They often try to make you think they are a rattlesnake so you will leave them alone. Where we lived before we live now, I had snakes all the time, even crawling up side of my house. I would find golf balls all around in pastures where snake died and golf ball was left. By knowing how many golf balls are in coop, I can keep an eye out for a snake when one or more are missing. I have only had 2 snakes in my coop in the last 10 years and I took care of them. I agree that snakes are necessary in my habitat, but no chicken snake, rat snake or copperheads are allowed in my yard. All others are free to travel through. Since I have 12 cats now, there are no food sources in my yard to attract snakes. I have a coach whip that follows me on tractor when I mow in pasture. They are treated with respect as they will go in gopher hole after a gopher. I have relocated a coral snake away from the yard also.

First thing this morning we pulled another 4 foot snake out of wire covering chic pen.He couldn't get into the pen but he did get stuck in outside wire. Took it to woods and let it go.
Just ordered a better snake grabber from Walmart after fighting the snake with the old one that has lost its grip.

Snake grabber came yesterday and it is nice and long and even has a bag to put snake in and extra cable in case cable breaks.

Learn something new everyday.

Latest posts

Back