Eggs

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So you recommend it? I was also told to try rubbing eggs in mineral oil.

I cannot speak to mineral oil as I have never tried it. I have had no issues with water glassing, just need to have materials. The caustic to do it with is pricey and you have to have jars 1 gallon or more, and you can only do up to 13 eggs in a 1 gallon container, you can see where I’m going. If you have 5 gallon containers that would be ideal, just need to consider storage.

My chicks are 9 weeks old. Full feathers. I moved them outside to the "apartment" two days ago when it was warm. Tonight it will be 36°. Will they be okay. I have six and they can huddle together, but I have never put chicks outside this young.

Thank you.

My chicks are 9 weeks old. Full feathers. I moved them outside to the "apartment" two days ago when it was warm. Tonight it will be 36°. Will they be okay. I have six and they can huddle together, but I have never put chicks outside this young.

Thank you.
I'm so sorry for my late response to this! I didn't see it. As an Alaskan I regularly chime in on these kind of issues. My birds endure up to -20 temps with no heat lamp or source whatsoever. The most important aspect to coop conditions is moisture when it is cold.

Birds, yes. Chicks, no. Some kind of enclosure, too, but careful of fire.
It wouldn’t be the end of the world to shut them in the bathroom for a night. I’d rather clean up tomorrow than lose them.
I find as long as chicks are with momma they are ok, depending on bedding, but I am more of a "let them sort it out" kind of chicken handler, haven't lost a chick yet.

Birds, yes. Chicks, no. Some kind of enclosure, too, but careful of fire.
It wouldn’t be the end of the world to shut them in the bathroom for a night. I’d rather clean up tomorrow than lose them.
of course, if you buy them and they don't have a momma, heat lamp all the way in those temps at that age, couple more weeks and they will be good to go.

Mine are bought. They are as feathered as the elders. These are supposed to be early to mature. Start laying at 16 weeks. I've never seen that before.

I have always kept my chicks in the laundry room, but this year I decided to use the garage. I had the Ecoglow ,heat lamp and wrapped the sides in case of drafts. I put a thermometer in the coop and the lowest it got was 57. They weren't even chirping.

Tonight, I added a huge pile of straw for a nest. I could never use a lamp with the straw. Don't want fried chicken. They are too large to get under the Ecoglow, but can gather around and on top of it.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Thank you everyone for your advice.

We scrambled 100 eggs last night , I have them freeze drying now. Think I’m going to put the in mylar bags this time instead of jars. We have done raw egg powder too but that makes too big of a mess.
We are just new to freeze drying and i just did 13 dozen raw eggs in our freeze dryers. So is it better to scramble them first and then freeze dry them? Ours were crumbly and powdered by the time i got them in the mylar bags. Nothing too hard to do and the dog cleaned up the floor spillage.

We are just new to freeze drying and i just did 13 dozen raw eggs in our freeze dryers. So is it better to scramble them first and then freeze dry them? Ours were crumbly and powdered by the time i got them in the mylar bags. Nothing too hard to do and the dog cleaned up the floor spillage.

Most people scramble them before freeze drying them. We do as well. They seem to rehydrate better and cook better. Having said that we have some separated as well for using egg whites or yolks only in recipes. When they are done freeze drying we grind them into a fine powder. Not necessary but seem to rehydrate better/quicker for us.
Retired at 40 on YouTube did a video comparing separating, whole eggs not scrambled, scrambling and more. Worth a watch. Just remember when watching him he’s paid by harvest right with perks, machines and affiliate money.

We have done them scrambled raw and cooked , both ways work well but the rag egg is messy to pack no matter if you bag or jar them.

I keep expecting for ours to slow down, even locked in the house during the winter storm they are still laying strong.

CB28F974-773D-43AC-A7D0-8F0113C6DA0A.jpeg

Rhode Island Reds, Bard Rocks I have had.
Speckled Susex have nice feather design, my brother had ten or so of them.

I keep expecting for ours to slow down, even locked in the house during the winter storm they are still laying strong.

View attachment 101411
If you use chopped straw in your nest boxes your eggs will be a lot cleaner.....at least mine are. Then I don't have to clean them before putting them in cartons. I still remember running eggs thru a "egg washer" as a youth. We had 500 layers and sold eggs everywhere including the back doors of restaurants.

Attachments

• 103_0110.JPG
    103_0110.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Mine finally stopped laying, not an egg in 4 days. This cold spell might have did them in or slowed them. Waiting to see if I get eggs after it warms up.

History says they are done for a while. Last winter they stopped for 2 months, quit right after thanksgiving.

Latest posts

Back