Elderberries

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Weedygarden , Do you have a place you can plant? I have a dozen nice plants. If you do I would gladly send you cuttings from the two different types. You could have your own. They grow like crazy with practically no care......

We don't have the new place ready for planting yet or I'd be begging for some. To much wild life up there to leave plants unguarded and un fenced .

We don't have the new place ready for planting yet or I'd be begging for some. To much wild life up there to leave plants unguarded and un fenced .
I have a ton of wildlife where mine are and Unfortunately I don't live there full time yet. All my trees got fruit last year and for some reason I lost nothing? Don't know if the deer, Bear, Raccoons, Possums etc. just don't like them? I have no answer for it. Offer always stands. Hope it all works out the way you want.....

I have a ton of wildlife where mine are and Unfortunately I don't live there full time yet. All my trees got fruit last year and for some reason I lost nothing? Don't know if the deer, Bear, Raccoons, Possums etc. just don't like them? I have no answer for it. Offer always stands. Hope it all works out the way you want.....

Thank you! I had garlic, onions and rosemary planted up there last year and something ate them.

All my trees got fruit last year and for some reason I lost nothing? Don't know if the deer,..

In spring before doe's give birth they will destroy fruit trees. Its minerals in the leaves they want. One year before I moved back here doe's were destroying my dad's 200 tree peach orchard. He got a special permit from the state to take 20 deer in 30 days. He didn't hunt anymore so a few kinfolk came over and wiped them out.

@Terri9630 Was probably rabbits. They will eat anything green in a garden.

I just read through the previous comments. I do have property that I can plant them on. I am very interested.
No sweat. I will cut some off this weekend and you PM me a place to send them I'll wrap them up and send them. Just do them in water and then a pot till they are ready for the ground. Elderberry is tough. I've run one of mine over with my full size tractor....I have ripped limbs off more than once of several others and they are all full of leaves right now and I suspect soon will start getting flowers. These are Johns and Adams variety and they get Huge Beautiful white Flowers that turn into the berries. You can make Pancakes with the flowers if you like as well. Great plant. Multiple Medicinal uses as well. @Peanut could speak t othat better than me. Maybe he will? You know they may propagate straight from some good soil in the ground as well. https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/fruits/elderberry/rooting-elderberry-cuttings.htm

In spring before doe's give birth they will destroy fruit trees. Its minerals in the leaves they want. One year before I moved back here doe's were destroying my dad's 200 tree peach orchard. He got a special permit from the state to take 20 deer in 30 days. He didn't hunt anymore so a few kinfolk came over and wiped them out.

Maybe that's what that does was doing in my drive at 11 AM this morning......:mad:

Looks like Dutchs will be eating Wabbit too.....

I wonder what the plants need? What kind of conditions, soil and temperature?
They will grow just about anywhere. I have some of mine shaded some Full sun. Some on a hill some on flat land. My soil is suspect at best but I do always put Miracle Grow Garden Soil in the hole with native soil and mix it up. I have clay just under the topsoil and do try to scar it up so the roots can catch. Mine are a year old and 5-8 feet tall with multiple branches and produced berries for me the first year. I got several full quart freezer bags first year in the ground. Sorry i wasn't totally correct on my earlier post. I have 3 Types, Adams, Johns and Nova. They ripen a few weeks apart from each other.

I know they love green beans but I've never had them go after my rosemary.

My elderberry is in full bloom this week. They needed pruning in 2017 but I missed the window. This December I was just getting over eye surgery. They really need pruning now.

elder 19 (4)_v1.jpg

Peanut you just reminded me. I've got 4 in the basement I bought and haven't planted yet. Forgot all about them and got busy in the garden. Guess I'll be planting them in the rain.

We have a Mulberry tree but have never got a berry off it yet. No chance with the squirrels here.
We left the feed on the back porch and the horse and donkey we let roam around the place slung it everywhere. The ground was covered in squirrels when we got back home.
I don't even know what a mulberry taste like.But it is a huge tree.

We've got a Mulberry treee as well. We get a decent harvest every year now that it's established. Just gotta figure out a better way to harvest them. Picking one at a time takes more time than I have in the spring.
They are good, very sweet. Not sure what to compare them to.

We have a Mulberry tree but have never got a berry off it yet. No chance with the squirrels here.
I don't even know what a mulberry taste like.But it is a huge tree.

@Meerkat Mulberry trees are either male or female. Only the females have fruit. The males produce pollen.

There is also a strain of ornamental mulberry trees from Japan that never produce fruit.

@Meerkat Mulberry trees are either male or female. Only the females have fruit. The males produce pollen.

There is also a strain of ornamental mulberry trees from Japan that never produce fruit.

This one produces and the varmits love it. Now that the chickens use the area for free range all day it doesn't produce because of too much nitrogen. But it gives off lots of shade.

At the farm we probably have...oh, maybe a hundred of them? They grow along every fence and building, wherever the birds poop out the seeds. They haven't come on yet, but if you wanted some I could point you in the right direction. You might have to get them before we cut them all down though...;)

Latest posts

Back