Electric Cars

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it just me or there a lot people around here that hope they are wrong?

Imagine the average lottery players saying that.

Kinda reminds me of the word "leftover". How would you like to be a leftover? Sad word, leftover. Well, it wouldn't be bad if they were taking people out to be shot! I might even volunteer! (Words I remember from the late, great, George Carlin. :)

Reactions: Neb
Is it just me or there a lot people around here that hope they are wrong?
Doesn't really matter much, even after COVID-19 the population is still growing, so we need something more drastic if we want to control the climate change.....
I was sure we were going to veer into Bill Gates failed attempts to depopulate the country.
I hope I'm wrong. :rolleyes:
Now back to the new $46,000 car you bought, and you waiting for the power to come back on so you can finally get groceries.:mad:

Last edited:
I care Joel! Don't get a vaccination until they have a real vaccine. the two on the market right now aren't vaccines they are modifications to the way your DNA functions. Many generations have given you DNA that works, don't screw it up!

I care Joel! Don't get a vaccination until they have a real vaccine. the two on the market right now aren't vaccines they are modifications to the way your DNA functions. Many generations have given you DNA that works, don't screw it up!
...Aaaand here we go! dead horse

Quit beating that horse, he's already dead! :)

Husband had an allergist appt today and was asked if he got the shot. He said no, he has to wait. They said only wait 45 days after having covid. But he had a bam infusion. He waits for 90 days. He told her he'd wait till fall.

My Aunt is going through chemo. One of her docs told her she should not get the shot because her immune system is weak. Another one told her she needed to get it ASAP. She has scheduled the shot for Saturday.
@Firepolice271. Had bad reactions but was strong enough to overcome.

I live a life that is mostly devoid of interaction with other potential carriers.

I will avoid the vacine and hope that it passes by me and diminishes.

Ben

Drove by the local Hampton Inn yesterday.
Every charging station had a Tesla in it.

Next door at BP only 4 gas pumps out of 12 had customers.

Jim

In all seriousness, I believe I've heard of people who are able to use their reserve battery packs in an electric vehicle, all the way from a golf cart on up, as emergency power supplies for their homes in the case of the grid going down. It's really a pretty big reserve compared to having nothing at all. That doesn't really provide for any recharging of the pack once it's gone, but I could see how it might be a short term backup plan for a power outage. It's not likely to go farther than a day or two, but hey, a day or two might matter.

Just a thought. I'm not gonna go looking for a Tesla or Leaf for that specific purpose, but it's just another little something I'd certainly be thinkin' about if I already owned one.

Honestly, as I consider whether I might like to have a golf cart for just putzin' around the place, I sorta kinda have that in the back of my mind. I also know of a few golf carts that have been set up with a couple of nice sized solar panels that function as their "roof". It would certainly make for shade on some of those hot days.

Don't know how practical any of it is but it is fun to think about. :)

In all seriousness, I believe I've heard of people who are able to use their reserve battery packs in an electric vehicle, all the way from a golf cart on up, as emergency power supplies for their homes in the case of the grid going down. It's really a pretty big reserve compared to having nothing at all. That doesn't really provide for any recharging of the pack once it's gone, but I could see how it might be a short term backup plan for a power outage. It's not likely to go farther than a day or two, but hey, a day or two might matter.

Just a thought. I'm not gonna go looking for a Tesla or Leaf for that specific purpose, but it's just another little something I'd certainly be thinkin' about if I already owned one.

Honestly, as I consider whether I might like to have a golf cart for just putzin' around the place, I sorta kinda have that in the back of my mind. I also know of a few golf carts that have been set up with a couple of nice sized solar panels that function as their "roof". It would certainly make for shade on some of those hot days.

Don't know how practical any of it is but it is fun to think about. :)
Jim's golf cart is part of his backup-power system.
Electric cars would be a lot better sell if they could do that.

Jim's golf cart is part of his backup-power system.
Electric cars would be a lot better sell if they could do that.

So was my side x side...until I sold it.
I had 3 sources for power. The golf cart , the side x side, the battery pack.

48 v UPS off either one works great .

Wish they would make this an optional hook up on the Tesla.

Jim

Scenario: It is a beautiful sunny day in the 90's with the sun baking the blacktop. Do you use your AC? Do you even have AC?

A single day in the 90's is nothing unless it is 99F.
I use insulation and will install a geo-grid to bring 55F air into the home. You can even do that in the desert south west.
On the other hand it is esier to heat 55F air to 70F in the winter than it is to heat -15F to 70F, so it works year around.

A single day in the 90's is nothing unless it is 99F.
I use insulation and will install a geo-grid to bring 55F air into the home. You can even do that in the desert south west.
On the other hand it is esier to heat 55F air to 70F in the winter than it is to heat -15F to 70F, so it works year around.
Sorry, I wasn't clear. The thread is about electric vehicles and I assumed my meaning was clear.
You bring up the cold. Then you will need heat to keep the window defrosted. You can opt to keep the AC off. You must use defrost heat if you wish to be able to see out the window. So, winter cold reduces battery capacity plus it increases power consumption by using the battery for required heat.

Yes, I was off. Talking about homes not cars. Sorry...

With Lithium batteries cold is good. The batteries can make more power without overheating. The on-board heater defroster does use power but it is not really a lot.

Scenario: It is a beautiful sunny day in the 90's with the sun baking the blacktop. Do you use your AC? Do you even have AC?
Not sure if you were talking about A/C in the car, or in the house.
For us it is simple.
With our insane humidity levels and months of nonstop 90+ temps, (we get our moisture fresh & hot off of the gulf;)), two things become quickly obvious:
1. If the A/C in your car does not work, your car is down.
2. If the A/C in your house does not work, you die (or spend days in a motel until it is fixed)gaah.
And if you don't think hell is hot, come see us in August.
I've watched many 'normal' people melt down.
HairOnFire.gif

Without reading thru all the replies I have a couple issues with the original post. It misrepresents several truths and facts to push an agenda.

BEV will be a terrible option for long-range driving quite a while. Charging rates just aren't there compared to 10 minutes at a gas station. BUT, a Tesla 3 can go from 20% to 80% in about 27 minutes. 80%-100% takes another 18 minutes. It's actually possible to get somewhere faster by stopping at 80% and just stopping more frequently. Again, it's still slower than refilling gas or diesel.

Do you calculate your total drive trip time based on how long it takes you to make a round trip to the nearest gas station at your destination? Including the 10hrs of charge at the end of a trip is just stupid. Segway into my next point... A perk of EV's is that you can charge them while you're busy living your life. Let them sit over night, give them jolt while you're at a resteraunt. You don't have to babysit your car while it's recharging like you do at a gas station.

Speaking about the grid...
Yes it is going to be a nightmare to fix that dilapidated cluster f***. But EV's don't need to charge at their full 80A speeds. You can tell them when you need the car, and it'll regulate the power to have it fully charged by the time you told it. The 60kWh version of the Tesla Model 3 can be charged from 0% to 100% in 8 hours using 35A. That gives you about 230 miles of range. Most people don't commute that far in a day but if you also account for accessory power drain, lets say a round 150 miles worth of range for your round trip commute. That means you'll be at 35% when you plug in at night. Your car will only need 23A to fully recharge in that 8 hour window. Granted that's an average, the early charge will be higher and slow down above 80%, like I mentioned earlier.

It's getting late, so I'm going to cut it off here, but there are some other issues...such as the Volt being an infant level of EV readiness. The Prius Prime would be a better example, albeit not exactly apples-to-apples since the Volt was a (99%) series hybrid, and the Prius is a parallel hybrid. But the Prius represents the most accurate capability of current hybrid technology.

Reactions: Neb
The Tesla is using a new battery that has a range of 1000 miles on a single charge. The #3 Tesla is shipping with a battery that has a 600 mile range. Tesla is working on a completely new battery that does away with the lithium component all together and has a higher capacity and a superfast charge. The sales pitch is a 1000000 mile life with a rage of about 1500 miles on a charge. Between the two one charges in about 15 minutes and the other new technology battery charges with a fill up of electrolyte. (about the same time it takes to pump 20 gallons of gas or diesel.)

No one has ask me about a vaccination, they do not care about me.:oops::cry::rolleyes:
That's what the VA did to me when I turned 70,they never sent me announcements for annuals, come to find out they were giving me to many mgs. of blood pressure meds, when I told my cardiologist he said it was way too much, not only that, it didn't lower my blood pressure. VA 40 mg. Lisinopril, cardiologist 2.5 mg twice a day, best blood pressure in many years.

If I ever had to go electric, it would more than likely be a Tesla. Thing is, at DW and my years, there are other things I rather spend our limited income on, as it is our 2005 Sienna and 2007 Tundra will outlive us even though the Sienna has over 190,000 miles and the Tundra has 245,000 miles, they both run like new and didn't cost like new.

as it is our 2005 Sienna and 2007 Tundra will outlive us even though the Sienna has over 190,000 miles

Love it! We have a Sienna, too! Ours is an '06. Other than regular wear stuff, I've never done anything other than the 100,000 timing belt / water pump / plugs which I've always done myself. (Takes me 2 days cause I'm slow. LOL! But at least it's familiar since I've done it all twice now.) It's a bit neglected at the moment and needs some tires, some brake work, and a few little things, but at just under 240,000 miles, it really does run pretty well. Since we have our Subaru Forester runabout, the Sienna is used more like a "farm truck" than a "family truckster" these days. With the new Gator, though, I kinda think it'll be giving up many of the things around the homestead like hauling tomato stakes to the lower garden, and hauling buckets of water.

I bemoaned the fact that I didn't buy a Rav4 when we got our Subaru but then I saw just recently that the 2018, which is the one we'd have been looking at, seems to have a problem with lighting itself on fire. Yikes! Anyway, I really am a fan of Toyotas. And that Trundra you have is probably way more friendly for a quick run to town than my F350 quad cab dually, which is like driving a semi truck everywhere. But... it pulls a huge RV.

My last pickup was a 1989 F-250 SC 4X4 diesel, we had more than our share of problems with it, Ford put 4 injector pump in before it ran half way decent, the diesel mechanic at the dealership in Roseburg even call me and ask what I thought was the problem, I had told them when I took the truck in that the International service mechanic had told me that Renewed brand injector pumps, those rebuilt by International, where having problems and to avoid using them, Ford Service department told me they had not heard of any problems, they basically put me off, but in the end the problems they were having was because of the reduction of sulfur in diesel fuel, O-rings were failing and the pumps would suck in air. The fourth pump they installed was not a Renewed brand and the truck ran great until crankcase oil showed up in the cooling system. The long and short of all this is how much it would have cost us to repair or replace the engine was enough to steer us into looking at what Toyota had to offer, since at that time we had the Sienna which ran great, it did influence going to a Toyota truck, the Tundra showed up on the internet and was at the same dealership. The test drive sold us and we took it home the same day we had the Sienna in for a new rack and pinion steering install. All I can say is, that for a 1/2 ton pickup, the Tundra is built like a tank and runs like a scared rabbit. It pretty much fulfills my desire for a V-8 hotrod I had on my bucket list before I die.

for a 1/2 ton pickup, the Tundra is built like a tank and runs like a scared rabbit

It has surprised me that Toyota hasn't pushed itself into a bit heavier market. The Tundra is basically a 1/2 ton truck, and from what I understand, a well built one. Even just pushing up to the 3/4 ton market, along side of the 250 / 2500 crowd wouldn't seem like a huge stretch. (?) The smaller Tacoma has been a big seller for a very long time but not something I'd put much of a trailer behind.

I had looked briefly a while back and it does appear that the Tundra can be quite variable with different engines, different hauling capacities, stuff like that. I had been thinking in terms of perhaps us getting a smaller RV, maybe a 24' or 26' pull behind, and figuring out what would and wouldn't be up to pulling it safely was a bit frustrating, at least for someone who wasn't a Tundra aficionado. Anyway, we still have the 40' fifth wheel and the F350, at least for now. Would live to get rid of both but have a lot of other things going on.

The 350 had a brand new 7.3 reman engine dropped in it about 80,000 miles ago and less than 5,000 miles on a brand new (not reman, new) ZF6 manual transmission. Of course it had a new clutch with the transmission. I was gonna do the rear end, too, just to make sure and the mechanic said it's in perfect shape, don't touch it. Truck itself has just shy of 350k miles on it, I think. And a fair number of years in Texas and out of the weather so not much rust. It's probably worth more than the fifth wheel. Yeah, that was a $12k engine (installed)... ouch. But it is what it is. Probably couldn't get $12k for the whole truck today. All the money spent on vehicles... makes me wonder if the Amish don't have something good going. LOL!!

We just bought a new Toyota Highlander Hybrid Platnum. It gets around 34 MPG on the highway and around 36 in town due to the electric motor. I'm still getting used to starting it and no sounds from the engine compartment.
That thing has more bells and whistles than any car I have ever owned.
I also have a 2015 F150 Platnum and I really like it.
While we were getting the new Highlander I looked at the Tundras. I was not impressed. My F150 gets better mileage, has more power, and has a lot more comfort features.
I know Toyota owners are some of the most loyal people around and they tend to keep them forever but I'll keep my F150.

Toyota Highlander Hybrid Platnum. It gets around 34 MPG on the highway and around 36 in town due to the electric motor.

I'm actually kinda surprised it doesn't do better than that. Maybe it will as you get more used to it. (?)

Our Subaru Forester gets somewhere between 30mpg and 35mpg normally, if I baby it, I can push almost 40, but my wife doesn't like me driving like that. LOL!

The one I really miss is the ol' VW Jetta diesel (manual trans). I could go somewhere around 800 miles on a tank of fuel, 50+mpg. I don't think I ever got it past about 60mpg but occasionally, I got close. It got totaled by someone not paying attention to traffic when they rear-ended my wife.

With the price of gas creeping up these days, I'm just glad we don't do so much driving anymore. Went less than 7,000 miles over the past 12 months. And I only know that because I just changed oil yesterday.

Back