Emergency Essentials Dried Milk Changes

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Country Living

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
I've been using Emergency Essentials Fortified Dried Milk for some time. All the #10 cans I've previously purchased, through September 2018, weighed 2lbs 8oz and you used 1/4c dry milk to make one cup of milk (using water for anyone not familiar with rehydrating dry milk).

When I use a case, I buy a case (six cans in a case). I was going to order a case of milk a few days ago when a closer look showed the can now weighs 1lb 13oz and you use 1/3rd cup of dry milk to make a cup of milk. When I called, the customer service person said he wasn't aware of the change. He checked with someone and came back with a vague reason for the difference was they changed manufacturers and he later mentioned the production was all done in house.

He said Emergency Essentials was purchased by the Blue Chip Group, who owns Augason Farms, in May 2018.

I've used both EE and Honeyville Grains dried milk. It used to be the EE was a better buy per cup of milk. Now they're about the same.

I realize the whole industry is going through a good scrubbing of their products since Wise Food was sued. I can see changes in serving sizes and calories because of that lawsuit. I can even see EE reducing the weight as a cost-cutting measure. I can't see, if the formula hasn't changed, why the amount of dried milk needed would increase 20% (4Tlsp versus a 5Tblsp plus one tsp) unless their numbers on their nutritional label weren't correct.

Does anyone know what's going on with Emergency Essentials? I haven't priced any of their other products to see if they've also had changes.

Note: blue words indicate hyperlinks.

Sorry I can't help ya. I'm working on using the carnation dried milk and canned milk I have and haven't gotten into my EE stash.

Although it doesn't surprise me that they're lowering the amount in the cans. Seems to be the way on everything now. Smaller portions and same price or higher in price. Most people won't notice I'll bet.

Wonder what the LDS folks are charging and what size their cans are? hmmm...https://store.lds.org/ProductDispla...p_category=&parent_category_rn=&storeId=10151

12- 28oz pouches.Serving size - 3 TBSP. Servings per container - 29.

I've been using Emergency Essentials Fortified Dried Milk for some time. All the #10 cans I've previously purchased, through September 2018, weighed 2lbs 8oz and you used 1/4c dry milk to make one cup of milk (using water for anyone not familiar with rehydrating dry milk).

When I use a case, I buy a case (six cans in a case). I was going to order a case of milk a few days ago when a closer look showed the can now weighs 1lb 13oz and you use 1/3rd cup of dry milk to make a cup of milk. When I called, the customer service person said he wasn't aware of the change. He checked with someone and came back with a vague reason for the difference was they changed manufacturers and he later mentioned the production was all done in house.

He said Emergency Essentials was purchased by the Blue Chip Group, who owns Augason Farms, in May 2018.

I've used both EE and Honeyville Grains dried milk. It used to be the EE was a better buy per cup of milk. Now they're about the same.

I realize the whole industry is going through a good scrubbing of their products since Wise Food was sued. I can see changes in serving sizes and calories because of that lawsuit. I can even see EE reducing the weight as a cost-cutting measure. I can't see, if the formula hasn't changed, why the amount of dried milk needed would increase 20% (4Tlsp versus a 5Tblsp plus one tsp) unless their numbers on their nutritional label weren't correct.

Does anyone know what's going on with Emergency Essentials? I haven't priced any of their other products to see if they've also had changes.

Note: blue words indicate hyperlinks.

I wonder if the way the make the milk into powder has changed? I have been wondering about dehydrated (which most powdered milk is) versus freeze dried milk. Most powdered milk is made by spraying a fine mist of milk into a heated area, drying the milk out. I wonder if freeze drying milk would improve the flavor? I don't know anyone who wouldn't be happy with an improved taste in powdered milk.

I have no issues with taste with either Emergency Essentials or Honeyville - both are quite good. I bake with their milk and it turns out great. I can understand if they lowered the weight due to cost cuttings. I didn't get a good explanation of why they upped the amount to make a cup of milk.

What I wrote wasn't as clear as what you wrote, but this is what I wondered. And why would they switch, if they did? Because it might taste better?

Some people think freeze dried tastes better but I don't know. I only use it for cooking.

The label now says instant, I think they switched to freeze dried.
It occurred to me that they may be changing their food production in general from dehydrated to freeze dried. From everything I have seen, Thrive food is all freeze dried and it is superior in taste to dehydrated, and that may include powdered milk. Freeze dryers start at a little more than $2,000 for the home. https://harvestright.com/

There is that LDS church that did a milk research by sampling a variety of types of powdered milk. That was several years ago and perhaps milk is different now. It would be great for there to be a new study.

Latest posts

Back