1. Welcome to Homesteading & Country Living.
    We are glad you came to visit.
    Dismiss Notice

Emergency Food Rations

Discussion in 'Product reviews' started by Peanut, Oct 1, 2019.

Help Support Homesteading Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. Oct 1, 2019 #1

Peanut

Peanut

Peanut

Awesome Friend Neighbor HCL Supporter

I’ve posted about these before… They are food ration bars that are made primarily to stock lifeboats on sea going vessels and some military applications. They are made by Survivor Industries, Inc. who have been around since the 80’s. I became aware of them in the early 90’s when I serviced a catscan not far from their headquarters in Oxnard CA. https://www.survivorind.com/

Their food ration bars have a shelf life of 5 years with a temperature range of –40˚F to 300˚F. They come in 1200, 2400 and 3600 calorie sizes. They are complete nutrition with all the daily allotment of vitamins and minerals etc. They are also non-thirst provoking. They are designed to feed people in a lifeboat at sea for weeks if necessary.

The complete details are here… https://www.survivorind.com/product/mainstay-240024-pack/ These details should answer any question you may have far better than I can.

I buy the 2400 calorie bars by the case and usually keep 2 cases around at all times. MS24-20 Mainstay 2400(20 pack) for $94.50, shipping across the US is about $30, they are heavy. That’s a 40-day supply of food for 1 person that doesn’t need to be cooked. The wafers/bars have a lemon flavor, actually quite tasty.

The company has many other emergency products which I have not tried. That said I’ve done business with this company for 28 years. My only complaint is that since they are geared toward supplying large shipping companies and militaries around the world their customer service for an individual can be slow, so be patient.

MainStay.jpg

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
    Caribou, ssonb, Bacpacker and 4 others like this.
  2. Oct 1, 2019 #2

Sentry18

Sentry18

Sentry18

Hired Gun Staff Member Moderator Neighbor HCL Supporter

I have purchased and stocked Mainstay bars before. They are a good product that tastes okay (I have never found a survival bar that tastes great to me). They can last a little beyond those 5 years if stored properly. Plus if I remember correctly they are higher in vitamins than most of their competitors. I like to use ration bars in my bug out bags, in my vehicles, my office, and other places where I won't be cooking anything. Plus they help supplement my food stores at home.

I recently switched to Datrex however because they are less expensive, have more protein, and have the least amount of ingredients. One of which being coconut which I am a big fan of. They don't taste quite as good as Mainstay and are more crumbly, but they were about 60% the price the last time I ordered some off of Amazon Prime.

Caribou, ssonb, Bacpacker and 3 others like this.
  3. Oct 1, 2019 #3

phideaux

phideaux

phideaux

Spectator of Life Neighbor

I would like a longer shelf life for that cost.

At my age....5 years is a mere blip.

Jim

Caribou, ssonb, Bacpacker and 2 others like this.
  4. Oct 1, 2019 #4

Peanut

Peanut

Peanut

Awesome Friend Neighbor HCL Supporter

Thanks Sentry, I lean towards “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it”. Once I find something that suits my needs I usually don’t go looking for anything else. I have wondered from time to time if a similar product was on the market. I just gave Datrex a cursory read… When it comes time for me to restock I’ll definitely give them a hard read.

I just did a manufactures unit price check. The Datrex 2400 calorie bars were 23 cents cheaper per unit.

Amazon prices on mainstay and datrex were all over the map.

My concern about buying from a retailer is shelf life… meaning how long has the ration bars been sitting on their shelves… A big unknown and completely changes the value. If they gave the expiration date of what I’m buying up front it would mean everything as to figuring the actual value.

The first time I purchased from mainstay the product was fresh from the line. I walked out the front door with a case. Even when ordering from them across country there was always 5 years left before expiration.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019