Emergency Supply Checklist

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great list! Thank you!

I want to talk about items on the list:
"Water
Water capture device
Water filter
Portable water, 50 year cans
Water storage barrel (minimum 30 gallons)"

50 year cans for portable water? They are making a killing on this! $2.50 for 11.5 ounces of water.
I wonder if the can is similar to soda cans? I cannot imagine that they would be different. I purchase soda in cans when it is on sale, and since I am not a big soda drinker, it can sit around for a while. I have had several cans leak. So if I am paying $2.50 for an 11.5 ounce can of water to last me for 50 years, I sure don't want it to spring a leak and be gone when I am thirsty and hitting up my preps.

https://www.augasonfarms.com/augason-farms-ultra-purified-50-year-water-24-pack

Augason Farms Ultra Purified 50 Year Water 24-Pack (6)
Brand: Augason Farms
Product Code: 5-08699
Availability: In Stock
$59.99
Case Quantity: 24 cans
Can Net Weight: 11.5 fl oz / 340 mL
Case Net Weight: 17.25 lbs / 276 fl oz / 8.16 L
Gallons per Case: 2.2 gallons
Shelf Life: Up to 50 years*
*Shelf life up to 50 years when unopened. Actual shelf life may vary based on individual storage conditions.

I'd never go for that one, I have a 40 gallon tank in the basement (heated for my bathing pleasure), 2 rain barrels, assorted containers of water in 2 liter bottles and filter set up for the rainwater.
There are companies that can water for people in emergency situations, but I doubt that it costs $2.50 a can. I have had water in 2 liter bottles and have had several fail on me. Probably better than the milk jug type, but my recycling bin has been filled a few times recently with all of them. They were in plastic bins with lids, which was for safety measure, but plastic breaks down, sooner or later. But so do aluminum cans. I buy Santa Cruz lemonade which comes in 32 ounce glass bottles. I wash the bottles and refill them with water. They are heavier to deal with and I am always on the search for good storage bins to hold them. I found that there are wooden crates at Joann's that will hold a dozen, but the crates are around $12 a piece. I also have 55 gallon drums, 6 and 7 gallon camping jugs, and several of the plastic 5 gallon jugs for water coolers. I remember when the 5 gallon bottles were only in glass, and you can get glass ones for brewing, but I am not going to get a bunch of them. If I can find a couple for a good price, I would go that route. I prefer glass to plastic for everything, but it is heavy and more expensive.

I still sometimes still see at flea markets
1950s-US-Military-Drinking-Water.jpg
the canned water the US military used over fifty years ago.

Onr of the big tourist stops in Seattle, WA. is "Ye Olde Curiosity Shoppe". They have cans of "dehydrated water" and "Puget Sound Air". The instructions on the cans of water are:
"This can contains dehydrated water. Open can and add water to use."

Great list! Thank you!

I want to talk about items on the list:
"Water
Water capture device
Water filter
Portable water, 50 year cans
Water storage barrel (minimum 30 gallons)"

50 year cans for portable water? They are making a killing on this! $2.50 for 11.5 ounces of water.
I wonder if the can is similar to soda cans? I cannot imagine that they would be different. I purchase soda in cans when it is on sale, and since I am not a big soda drinker, it can sit around for a while. I have had several cans leak. So if I am paying $2.50 for an 11.5 ounce can of water to last me for 50 years, I sure don't want it to spring a leak and be gone when I am thirsty and hitting up my preps.

https://www.augasonfarms.com/augason-farms-ultra-purified-50-year-water-24-pack

Augason Farms Ultra Purified 50 Year Water 24-Pack (6)
Brand: Augason Farms
Product Code: 5-08699
Availability: In Stock
$59.99
Case Quantity: 24 cans
Can Net Weight: 11.5 fl oz / 340 mL
Case Net Weight: 17.25 lbs / 276 fl oz / 8.16 L
Gallons per Case: 2.2 gallons
Shelf Life: Up to 50 years*
*Shelf life up to 50 years when unopened. Actual shelf life may vary based on individual storage conditions.

Weedy we have 6 5 gal mylor bags daughter sent us for water with purification additives. But we need lots more.
Also we can water in jars when not enough food to fill canner, don't know how long they will last.

Emergency water: today on SB--Survival Blog https://survivalblog.com/editors-prepping-progress-81/, Lily talked about canning water. There is more to her story about canning water, and it is worth reading. She felt a prompting from the Holy Spirit to can some water, and did so. This is not difficult at all, and would be much cheaper than buying the 50 year cans.

Personally, I prefer to store anything canned in glass in the original box if I have it. Sometimes I don't have them (yard sale and free jars). I cut up boxes to provide a cushion between the jars so they are less likely to break.

"Very basically, to can water, one boils water, heats up jars, prepares the Water Bath Canner with water, gets that boiling, ladles the water into the jars, caps them, and then processes them in the boiling Water Bath Canner for ten minutes."

I like the 5 gallon jugs that are used over a typical office water cooler. They work great and I've never had one fail. You could pour those into a Berkey if you were concerned about BPA's. However, if I ever have to use the ones I have in storage, I doubt BPA's would be at the top of my "concern" list.

I've been on medicare for years. BPA isn't going to kill me. I have two water dispenser jugs and will pick up more when the opportunity arrises. I also have several 3.5 gallon plastic food grade pails of water. They are all filled with R/O filtered water.

We did install a water filter in kitchen. Since the algae is now seeping into the aquifer. Have one at well too but thats just for sediment doesn't kill bacteria.
As I said also have 30 gals drinking water stored.

I like the 5 gallon jugs that are used over a typical office water cooler. They work great and I've never had one fail. You could pour those into a Berkey if you were concerned about BPA's. However, if I ever have to use the ones I have in storage, I doubt BPA's would be at the top of my "concern" list.

I've been on medicare for years. BPA isn't going to kill me. I have two water dispenser jugs and will pick up more when the opportunity arrises. I also have several 3.5 gallon plastic food grade pails of water. They are all filled with R/O filtered water.

I like the 5 gallon jugs as well and have a few of them.

The piece about why Lily canned water said that that water is sterilized, and therefore useful for medical purposes. I also think about someone who is really sick due to some intestinal problems maybe doing better with some canned water and a re-hydration mix added. I don't know. My thought would be that it could be boiled when you wanted to use it, but having some done would be good in emergency situations.

I like the 5 gallon jugs that are used over a typical office water cooler. They work great and I've never had one fail.
I've had many of them fail. But, the leaks are immediate upon delivery, right from the get-go. What might be only a small drip when the bottle is still capped quickly becomes a flood once the cap is removed and air gets in to replace the vacuum that was holding the water in previously. I've never had one that was not leaking initially and then later developed a leak - except when they are dropped, especially when it is very cold outside - that tends to nuke 'em real fast. Even if the water inside hasn't frozen yet, the plastic hardens when cold and becomes more brittle. Those bottles seem quite heavy duty when empty, but they are not when full. Treat them with care.

The piece about why Lily canned water said that that water is sterilized, and therefore useful for medical purposes.
Is it really "sterile"? Highly doubtful. "Filtered" does not mean "sterile".

As far as medical use, if you're sitting there after the big SHTF event with your can of sterile water, it's not going to do you much good, because nothing else you have is sterile. Unless you happen to be holed up in the supply closet for a hospitals operating suite, and also happen to be trained/experienced in sterile technique.

As far as drinking, sterile water gets you nowhere. Besides, after the SHTF you would want to build up some cooties tolerance anyway, so you can lap up water out of your backyard mud hole, right alongside your dog.

I think normal, clean - but not sterile, bottles of water would work out just fine.

I've had many of them fail. But, the leaks are immediate upon delivery, right from the get-go. What might be only a small drip when the bottle is still capped quickly becomes a flood once the cap is removed and air gets in to replace the vacuum that was holding the water in previously. I've never had one that was not leaking initially and then later developed a leak - except when they are dropped, especially when it is very cold outside - that tends to nuke 'em real fast. Even if the water inside hasn't frozen yet, the plastic hardens when cold and becomes more brittle. Those bottles seem quite heavy duty when empty, but they are not when full. Treat them with care.
I had delivery briefly from Deep Rock, and their bottles seemed strong. I have seen bottles in the grocery store that were thinner plastic.

Is it really "sterile"? Highly doubtful. "Filtered" does not mean "sterile".

As far as medical use, if you're sitting there after the big SHTF event with your can of sterile water, it's not going to do you much good, because nothing else you have is sterile. Unless you happen to be holed up in the supply closet for a hospitals operating suite, and also happen to be trained/experienced in sterile technique.

As far as drinking, sterile water gets you nowhere. Besides, after the SHTF you would want to build up some cooties tolerance anyway, so you can lap up water out of your backyard mud hole, right alongside your dog.

I think normal, clean - but not sterile, bottles of water would work out just fine.
Did you read the instructions of how she did it? It is not filtered. Go back and read how she canned them.

I had delivery briefly from Deep Rock, and their bottles seemed strong.
Deep Rock is the specific company I was talking about who delivers my water (makes sense, since you and I live in the same area with the same vendors). They deliver me about 3 or 4 leakers per year, and my order volume is two bottles every two weeks. That's a good 5% of my deliveries that will leak (and the leaks are coming from small holes and cracks in the bottles). We should realize though, that companies like Deep Rock use the same bottles multiple times. We all hope they clean them out well between customers! If we were to buy brand new never-used bottles then the leak percentage might go down markedly.

Deep Rock is the specific company I was talking about who delivers my water (makes sense, since you and I live in the same area with the same vendors). They deliver me about 3 or 4 leakers per year, and my order volume is two bottles every two weeks. That's a good 5% of my deliveries that will leak (and the leaks are coming from small holes and cracks in the bottles). We should realize though, that companies like Deep Rock use the same bottles multiple times. We all hope they clean them out well between customers! If we were to buy brand new never-used bottles then the leak percentage might go down markedly.
I have never had a leaker, but it has been a few years since I had water delivered. I wonder if the quality of the bottles is not as good as they once were.

Did you read the instructions of how she did it? It is not filtered. Go back and read how she canned them.
I see it says: "...is naturally filtered and purified as it passes over and through the volcano’s geological formations", that seems to imply that the water is "naturally pure", whatever that means.

They do mention "retort sterilization", which I believe is some kind of process where they heat a product to germ-killing temperatures after it has been packaged. I'm not exactly sure about that though.

I think the big giveaway is that the descriptive text, and the label on the cans says "Ultra Purified". It does not say "Sterilized". Even though the sterilize word is thrown about later, further on down in the description. I would think that if this was truly a sterile product, then they would be jumping all over themselves to advertise it as such.

But it really doesn't matter anyway, I think it is probably "sterile enough" to be considered functionally sterile for all practical purposes. I just don't think sterile water is high on the list of must-haves when stockpiling for a SHTF situation though. I think a better use of money would be to acquire clean water, and then boil it at the time of need if you require something that is closer to sterile.

A retort is a pressure cooker. This can sterilise the water quicker, and more reliably, than boiling. If the container is capable of dealing with the heat then the retort process can happen after bottling. The production process of the bottles leaves them sterile so if sterile water is immediately placed in them then the process is sterile.

Things like Zip-Loc's are sterile until they are opened but will not claim it due to legal considerations.

The piece about why Lily canned water said that that water is sterilized, and therefore useful for medical purposes. I also think about someone who is really sick due to some intestinal problems maybe doing better with some canned water and a re-hydration mix added. I don't know. My thought would be that it could be boiled when you wanted to use it, but having some done would be good in emergency situations.
In order to use sterile water for something like a wound packing or cleaning, you'd also have to have a sterile field to do the dressing change with. You'd need sterile gloves, sterile gauze, sterile syringes, etc. If you had all of that, you likely had sterile saline to use as well. However, in a SHTF situation, you're probably going to aim for clean conditions vs. sterile conditions just b/c a sterile environment is going to be nearly impossible out in the field.

As far as drinking sterile water. I really don't see the point. As soon as it touches your lips, it's no longer sterile. Plus, your gut is one of the most bacteria laden environments there is. Adding sterile water to it won't change that.

Latest posts

Back