Emp And Hemp: How They Affect Us And How To Prepare

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sheepdog: Let's set aside the science. There is no need to educate me. What is your bottom line practical recommendation for protecting my handheld radios from EMP (either solar or nuclear or otherwise)? No science discussion required. First, do you believe it can it be done? If so, how would you recommend that I do it given what you know?

You have no need to protect hand held radios from solar EMP. The solar EMP won't effect them in any way other than messing with the radio waves going out or coming in.
The only part of the HEMP that you need to be concerned with is the E1 pulse. Put the radio (without batteries) in a zip-loc freezer bag and place it on a sheet of heavy duty aluminum foil. (the kind used for turkey roasting)
Double fold both sides and the end to seal the foil completely.
Put that into a freezer bag and wrap it in another layer of heavy duty foil and seal the edges with double folds.
Put that into a freezer bag and wrap it in another layer of aluminum foil. Seal the edges with double folds.

Put it into storage or on a shelf until after the HEMP is over.
Open the wrapping, put batteries in it and see if anyone else is on the air. I'll be listening on the 80 meter band but not transmitting.
I have a 4 element inverted "V" for omni-directional and a Rhombic for directional sensitivity.

Latest posts

Back