EMP Home shield

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those gadgets will work fine for lightning strikes and solar emps - which are unlikely to affect your home and the stuff in it. If you live in an area that gets a lot of lightning it may be worthwhile but if you want protection against a solar event just hit the breakers when it is due. You get a minimum of 24 hours notice of a solar event and you only need protection from the very worst of them. At that point you are unlikely to have any power for at least a few weeks following but your appliances will be good.
The gadgets are worthless in an HEMP event. The E1 pulse will disable them just as quickly as it will fry your radio, TV, and computer. There is no electronic switch fast enough to prevent damage from the E1 pulse of a high altitude nuclear EMP. They fry without stopping anything because the E1 pulse is the ionized atmosphere. It doesn't need wires and metal housings, common Faraday cages, doesn't even slow them down. Capacitive reactance shielding and wave guide structures are the only way to slow the pulse down to the point it dissipates before harming the electronics. Waveguides have to be engineered for the specific cavity they protect and cannot be retrofitted to an existing component. The capacitive reactance is not only the best shielding it is the only kind you can do yourself.

Ferrite rings will not stop or even slow down the E1 pulse. The air itself carries the charge so there is nothing between your electronics and the high voltage of the pulse.

Ferrite rings will not stop or even slow down the E1 pulse. The air itself carries the charge so there is nothing between your electronics and the high voltage of the pulse.
Would ferrite help with a CME, power surge, or lightning? These are far more likely, especially power surges.

Yes. They are designed to protect from surges in the wire they are around. They work in the same manner that make a magnet slow down as it goes through a non-magnetic metal tube - like copper or aluminum.
The Ferrite ring reacts to changes in power and opposes the surge with a higher magnetic field that is made by the current flowing through the wire.

The ad is very careful not to mention HEMP. It is likely to work if your house is one of the very small percentage of homes that might be affected by lightning or a solar EMP. The truth is the you are more likely to be affected by a lightning strike near enough to travel through your home ground than you are to be affected by a solar EMP.

never seen the point of protecting gadgets in the home when the public stuff that makes then work wont function after an EMP.
seems a lot of work for nothing.

That depends on what you want to protect and why. We would want to protect the solar system to keep power for the freezer and well pump. We also have dozens of cookbooks but I have hundreds on my computer. The same with building, gardening and medical stuff. I could have hard copies of everything but then I wouldn't have room for anything else. There are also photos and the ability to watch movies or play games to relax on occasion.

never seen the point of protecting gadgets in the home when the public stuff that makes then work wont function after an EMP.
seems a lot of work for nothing.

L.W. I'd like to protect our solar though. And we have CDs and DVDs we can listen to and watch without being hoked up. Just reminders of civilization, I guess.:dunno::)

solar only works for a time though like anything else man made.
the solar panels can last for 20 or 30 years but the stuff you plug into like the inverters and batteries wont.
over here all residential panels are mounted on roofs so they are a fair give away to the "have nots".

we have commercial solar farms where the panels are ground mounted but the residential ones are on roofs to catch the sun.

Those gadgets will work fine for lightning strikes and solar emps - which are unlikely to affect your home and the stuff in it. If you live in an area that gets a lot of lightning it may be worthwhile but if you want protection against a solar event just hit the breakers when it is due. You get a minimum of 24 hours notice of a solar event and you only need protection from the very worst of them. At that point you are unlikely to have any power for at least a few weeks following but your appliances will be good.
The gadgets are worthless in an HEMP event. The E1 pulse will disable them just as quickly as it will fry your radio, TV, and computer. There is no electronic switch fast enough to prevent damage from the E1 pulse of a high altitude nuclear EMP. They fry without stopping anything because the E1 pulse is the ionized atmosphere. It doesn't need wires and metal housings, common Faraday cages, doesn't even slow them down. Capacitive reactance shielding and wave guide structures are the only way to slow the pulse down to the point it dissipates before harming the electronics. Waveguides have to be engineered for the specific cavity they protect and cannot be retrofitted to an existing component. The capacitive reactance is not only the best shielding it is the only kind you can do yourself.
Thanks for this, ShepDog. I was just looking at same product today (EMP Shield - Home EMP & Lightning Protection + CME Defense (SP-120-240-W) | EMP Shield). Can you recommend a book or manual that gives us the goods on how to prepare for an EMP even on the scale of which you describe (E1 pulse)?

The only manuals with solid ideas on how to protect yourself and property from HEMP is classified top secret. The military doesn't want our adversaries to know how we protect our equipment because they could get around it.

If you go back to electronics and study DC circuits and capacitive reactance you will find the best "filter" or defense against a .5 Nano-Second rise time to 50,000 volts is layered capacitors 3 at least inside one another with your device inside. The attached PDF gives detailed instructions.

Attachments

• E1Shield.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 19
The only manuals with solid ideas on how to protect yourself and property from HEMP is classified top secret. The military doesn't want our adversaries to know how we protect our equipment because they could get around it.

If you go back to electronics and study DC circuits and capacitive reactance you will find the best "filter" or defense against a .5 Nano-Second rise time to 50,000 volts is layered capacitors 3 at least inside one another with your device inside. The attached PDF gives detailed instructions.
Sorry my dear brother but that does not compute for me.

It ignores the Farady principles that the electrical field inside a conductor is zero

Re capacitors in series...

The capacitance of caps in series is...

The reciprical or the sum or the recipricals of the capacitor.

The answer is always smalled than the smallest cap.

;)

Ben

I found this site claiming with this gadget it will keep your home safe. Someone with more knowledge about emp might be able to give a review on if it will work?

Home EMP Protection | EMP Shield
I have one of those and have not had any strange electronic failures since it was installed.

Ben

Ben,
Have you experienced an HEMP in that time?
I openly stated that they work for common interference and even a lightning strike but that they were worthless against the E1 pulse of an HEMP.

Sorry my dear brother but that does not compute for me.

It ignores the Farady principles that the electrical field inside a conductor is zero

Re capacitors in series...

The capacitance of caps in series is...

The reciprical or the sum or the recipricals of the capacitor.

The answer is always smalled than the smallest cap.

;)

Ben

If you have two capacitors rated at the same capacitance and voltage in series and a constant DC current source the circuit is capable of carrying twice the rated voltage as a single capacitor. If the same capacitors are in parallel they can carry twice the charge but only the rated voltage.
It takes time to charge each capacitor depending on the resistance between them. The series wired capacitors will take longer to charge to a given voltage than the parallel capacitors. Once you reach an equilibrium then the capacitance of the caps equalizes at the sum of the reciprocals. The whole exercise supposes that equilibrium is never reached. Remember that you are charging for only .5 nanoseconds.
So in a static system (equalized) you would be correct but in a dynamic system where no equilibrium is reached the Faraday principal does not apply. Also, there is no conductive connection between the nested capacitors. The only connection is through capacitive reactance. They exist in a positively charged environment which slows the process due to a total (or nearly total) absence of free electrons to carry the charge to the opposite plate of each capacitor, and on to the next capacitor. The concept is to slow the progress of the charge so it equalizes back to near zero before it can rise to a level in your devise that will affect the junctions of the electronics.
If the voltage didn't rise so fast you could just use an insulation rated higher than the peak voltage but the rapid rise time of the voltage you can't prevent the capacitive reactance from taking the charge to your electronics. You need to slow the rise time and the series capacitors that are completely isolated from each other will slow the charge.

we have commercial solar farms where the panels are ground mounted but the residential ones are on roofs to catch the sun.
I was considering mounting our 8 panels on the roof but in consideration of the heat up there I decided to go with a ground mounted frame for the array, it's also mostly out of view of the road going by our place and the good thing is, the panels stay pretty cool. A few years before I built the solar array frame I researched how low the winter sun would cast a shadow from our home just to make sure the shadow would not cover any part of the panels and it worked out great. Even though we have a tall big leaf maple that shades the array, I have checked the charge voltages and that shade has made no difference, the array voltage stays well above 70 volts.

Thank you, SheepDog, for the PDF. So, it seems that these two items are good only for blocking RIFD signals and not EMPs, if I understand what you are saying.

From Amazon above:

"BLACKOUT Faraday Cage EMP Bags Premium Ultra Thick 5pc Prepping Kit Laptops Tablets Smartphones Hard Drives"

"TitanRF Faraday Fabric Kit Includes 44"W x 36"L TitanRF Fabric + 36"L TitanRF Tape + Instructions. Military Grade Conductive Material Shields RF Signals (WiFi, Cell, Bluetooth, RFID, EMF Radiation). "

Most of those devices are no better than whole house surge suppressors or lightning protectors. Anything with electronics in it will fail with the HEMP E1 pulse unless the whole device and what is being protected are protected from the E1 pulse to begin with.

Latest posts

Back