End of Season

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peanut

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
My great nephew has a new baler and wheel rake. I guess he’s going to leave them up here for the winter. I know he’s going to leave an old ford 5000 here for feeding the cows. We still have 2 tractors if he gets in a bind. He bales with newer tractors since last year.

a H baler_v1.jpg
a H balera_v1.jpg
a H Hay (1)_v1.jpg
a H Hay (3)_v1.jpg
a_v1.jpg

I worked a little hay in ’17 but my last full season was ’16. I really miss parts of it, the smell of new mown hay… the sweetness… and the smell of freshly baled hay… too many little things to mention. I don’t really miss spending an entire day in alabama heat indexes over 110 degrees .

W Hay (1)_v1.jpg
W Hay (2)_v1.jpg
W Hay (3)_v1.jpg
W Hay (4)_v1.jpg
W Hay (5)_v1.jpg
W Hay (6)_v1.jpg

Last edited:
My great nephew has a new baler and wheel rake. I guess he’s going to leave them up here for the winter. I know he’s going to leave an old ford 5000 here for feeding the cows. We still have 2 tractors if he gets in a bind. He bales with newer tractors since last year.

View attachment 27337 View attachment 27338 View attachment 27339 View attachment 27340 View attachment 27341

Nice equipment.

We never had real good equipment when we were putting up 10,000 square bales ,and 1000 found bales a year.
We fixed it when it broke and kept going.
Sold a lot of hay , but fed a lot of our own horses and cows.

Jim

I worked a little hay in ’17 but my last full season was ’16. I really miss parts of it, the smell of new mown hay… the sweetness… and the smell of freshly baled hay… too many little things to mention. I don’t really miss spending an entire day in alabama heat indexes over 110 degrees .

No harder work than putting up hay.
My last year of haying was 2001.

I know what you mean about checking it for moisture , that smell, just watching the mound in the barn loft growing.

Jim

We didn't do any Farming when I was a Kid, but I grew up in a Farming Community. I miss the big Fields of Corn and Alfalfa but what I miss most is the Smell of the Alfalfa as they dried it, and the Smell of the Hunts Factory as they Processed Tomatoes.

My Dad's friend hired me to help his son line bails up so the elevator on the side of the truck could pick them up easier.
One man on the truck and 1 driving. They switched off every truckload.
The bails of hay were just a little heavier than I was. It took both of us to move them.
Hard work for an 11-year-old. But we got paid 1 penny per bail.

I loved working in the hay growing up. We only did the square bales. Older equipment and we were the only ones keeping it running. Good training though on troubleshooting problems. I got paid anywhere from $1.50 to 3.00 an hour. For picking it up. I enjoied mowing and raking a lot better. LOL

I spent two seasons picking up small square bales, throwing them on a flat bed, then throwing them onto a conveyor, then stacking them in a barn. We were paid $3-4 and hour but we also ate like kings! The farmers wife would put out these huge meals 3-4 times a day. Plus the farmer would give us cold beer at the end of the day, and we were all in our early teens so it seemed like a big deal at the time.

I loved working in the hay growing up. We only did the square bales. Older equipment and we were the only ones keeping it running. Good training though on troubleshooting problems. I got paid anywhere from $1.50 to 3.00 an hour. For picking it up. I enjoied mowing and raking a lot better. LOL

You mean you didn't like being up in the loft , on a 100 deg day, watching the bales fall off elevator , grab it and build a mountain.
:ghostly:

Bad timing, I had bale fall on top of my head once, Sparks flew from my teeth, had sore neck for a week.
Still got problems from that.

Jim

Just once I'd like to run a baler in a tractor with a cab and A/C... just once to see if it is nice as I always imagined. :ghostly:
It is. I never got to run the tractor, that was Pop's job. I stacked 'em on the rack, and he threw them off onto the elevator to get them up to me in the barn. I sure don't miss being in the barn. Hot, stuffy, dusty, and no air movement. Plus as I stacked it deeper, I either tripped on the uneven surfaces that my hurried stacking job created, or my foot would slip down between the bales. Pops would have had an aneurysm if he heard the language I was using when I had to stack in that barn...:eek:

I would love to drive one of the huge tractors plowing fields out in the midwest, or running a Combine harvesting.
My family doesn't have anything big like that but we do have a 235 horse 4 wheel drive. That's actually on the smaller side for farmers in my area these days. My brother just got a "new to him" combine. I'm not sure exactly how big it is, but I know it's a heckuva lot bigger that anything we've had before...

@Bacpacker I saw a tv show years ago... had a tractor on there. I think it was named Big Bud, Big Mud, something like that... had over 1000 horsepower. I think is was out west or in Canada... It was white or red... homemade too.

I love to make a pass around a field with that thing!
Big bud was the tractor. They showed it on RF TV thru DirecTV TV that thing was massive and turned in the middle.

Back